American Rogue

American Rogue

A Chapter by Saki Kikkio
"

Chapter

"
     Stalking the deer from above. A trick a hawk would use on a mouse, or an eagle to a salmon. This is what Abooksigun used on the doe, she was large and well fed. The locals always putting out corn to keep the herds around for hunting season. It was good all around, this doe had been chasing the smaller ones away, the bucks and fawns too. He crouched claws extended, mouth pulled back in a snarl.
     He had to be careful not to move an inch, not even to twitch his ears. She stepped forward, nosing through the pine needles to find the acorns underneath, at this moment she was directly under him just a few more steps for her back to be to the hunter. He would feed his entire family tonight, and tomorrow, and a while after. She moved and Abooksigun pounced landing neatly on her back. The extra weight was too much and she went down without a struggle, with his saber teeth the tiger bit the deadly pinpoint on the back of the neck. She died, soundlessly, with no struggle. 
     Abooksigun let himself shift back to the eighteen year old native american boy. Going back to a hollow tree he pulled out rope and tied the deer to drag her back home to be cleaned and cut. His people had lived in the area as long as they could remember, living on the land and such. Recent times dictated more modern ideas, like grocery stores and school. As long as they kept their home they didn't care.
     Being one of the few pure bred natives left Abooksigun had the naturally tanned skin and dark red brown hair. His eyes were light brown that bordered yellow on some days and crap brown on others. The woods were empty of human life, or so he thought. "Fang! What's ups?" A girl bounced over to him. Her hair was long and black, her eyes bright violet purple. "Hello Violet." It was always nice to see Violet, they had gone to school together, since middle school when her family moved in. She thought his name was too long so she called him Fang for short.
     Together they walked dragging the kill down the path, Violet examined the killing wound as she kept pace with the boy. "Nicely done, did you come at it from above, you're getting really go at it." Abooksigun nodded, Violet was the only one that knew his secret, she had seen him change and was envious of his ability. "So Fang, can you show me?" He set the deer down and turned to her, excitedly she pressed her hand to his temple and closed her eyes. A sharp intake of breath and Abooksigun knew she was watching from his eyes the hunt that had just taken place.
     Violet's eyes fluttered back open after a second or two. "So COOL!" She danced around and knelt by the doe, "Ha! So you were chasing her all week! Why not just get one of the smaller and easier does?" Abooksigun shrugged "She was being a pain in the a*s to the smaller ones, they need to get bigger." She nodded and they resumed walking, "Can I come over for dinner?" Fang smiled, "Of course."

     In Louisiana on the border there is a city called Junction city, Fang and Violet do not live there. They live south of that, in a one stop sign area, it didn't have a major store. Just a handful of houses, and the pride of the town, the bar. It wasn't giant, but it was clean.
     Fang's uncle owned and ran it with help of his brother and nephew. Sani and Hakan were twins, and called by everyone Sam and Hane. For Abooksigun, Violet's nickname for him had caught, when he was in school the teachers at first would bend over backwards trying to pronounce his name without messing up, they didn't even try his last name. Finally in junior high they got a break with his pet name. One teacher even hugged Violet to thank her for it.
     Fang tied the deer upside down behind the bar and walked inside with Violet. Sam was in the office and Hane was in the kitchen flipping burgers. Up front a man with a dark tan manned the bar, Fang nodded to him and Violet waived. Mike was the temp that was there when Sam wasn't in a person kind of mood, it was for the safety of the people and the employees. Without any warning one of the waitresses slammed a tray of a man's head, everyone froze and stared, the girl walked away and the man's face was red. His date looked enraged, then stood and left. Mike looked at her questioning, "What happened Sara?" She ignored him and kept walking, Fang grabbed her arm, "Mis. Redwall?" She paled and stuttered out, "He was with his Kathren Rosemary and he had been being an a*s all evening, then she spoke about it and he threatened her. I've seen her arms, he's a beater. Then he had the gall to grab my chest. So thats what you saw." Fang nodded, "Mike can you call in Mr.Jackson while I talk to him?" Mike nodded and went to the phone waiting for the signal to dial. Fang strolled around the bar and to the table, "Mr.Jackson, It seems we have a problem." He sat down and looked into the man's eyes. "I know this is a small town and all. We still believe that its wrong to hit a woman, and grab at them." Violet had tied on an apron and was covering Sara's tables, ready to give back up it it got out of hand. "I don't give a flying dip s**t about what ya'll believe in." Jackson rubbed his head and stared hard at Fang, "You just a boy anyhow, you ain't got no say in what a man gotta do to make a gal more compliant." His thick accent made Fang's head hurt, he hated ignorant jerks like this.
     The man stood and put his hand on Fang's shoulder. It was a reflex, no thoughts just actions. The man was laying on the floor, Fang standing on his chest, one foot on his throat. "I don't like drunks, dumb asses, or anyone touching me." Violet moved next to Fang, "You okay?" Fang nodded and waved his hand at Mike, who started punching numbers into the phone. The police were there in moments dragging Jackson away, Fang was out back gutting the deer. Violet was serving tables, and Mike was switching out with Hane. Life as usual at Syiraz's.
 


© 2013 Saki Kikkio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on May 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 9, 2013
Tags: tiger, world, U.S.A, indian, travel


Author

Saki Kikkio
Saki Kikkio

griffin, GA



About
When life gives you lemons, make apple juice. Then watch as the world goes to chaos trying to figure out how you beat their limits more..

Writing
Shadows Shadows

A Poem by Saki Kikkio


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Saki Kikkio