School Uniform Debaate

School Uniform Debaate

A Story by Mik Mak
"

The pros and cons of schools requiring school uniforms

"

School Uniform Debate




Whether or not schools should have uniforms is hotly debated because some people think schools should enforce uniforms, while others argue that they should not.  I believe that schools should not have uniforms.  School uniforms cause restricted expression, have high costs, and are often uncomfortable.

School uniforms cause restricted expression. “Clothing is a major element of a student's personal style, and a major format of creative expression.” (Arguments against school Uniforms, 1)  I believe that clothing says a lot about a person, and shapes their personality.  “Many schools encourage a creative, expressive culture, where students are free to think critically.  Uniforms however encourage and reflect sameness.” (Arguments against school Uniforms,1) People say “Be You.” or “Stand out in the crowd.”  How are students going to do that when everyone must dress the same.

School uniforms have high costs.  “Many parents argue that buying uniforms for all of their kids every fall is hard on the family budget.” ( The Arguments Against School Uniforms, 1)  Kids grow, they don't stay the same size for nine months, which means that parents will have to order new uniforms throughout the year.  “Schools may have several uniforms such as everyday uniforms, formal uniforms, and PE uniforms.”(The Arguments Against School Uniforms, 1)  Students may need to have multiple of each uniforms to avoid wearing dirty clothes, which in turn, can cost a lot.

School Uniforms are uncomfortable.  “Kade A., a sixth grade student said “No, I don’t like school uniforms because they are uncomfortable and make you feel like you’re in church all of the time”” (An Argument Against School Uniforms, 1)  Nobody wants to sit at school for over seven hours while wearing uncomfortable clothes. “ Many girls are not comfortable wearing skirts or dresses, which most girls’ uniforms require.” (Arguments Against School Uniforms,1)  By making kids wear uniforms, you could make kids feel insecure and vulnerable at school.

People that agree to school uniforms may say school uniforms can create better citizens.  The reason this is said is “law enforcement  have to wear uniforms.” (How Ugly School Uniforms Will Save Education,3)  Not all kids are going to be a police officer, and the reason law enforcement wear uniforms is so people can recognize who they are.  If you’re a kid, however, you go to school, you don’t need a uniform to recognize that.  Another argument is that school uniforms empower school staff.  The reasoning behind this is that it’s harder for kids to skip school because they are too easily spotted outside of school in their uniforms.  What this argument fails to consider, is that students can change clothes so that they are not recognized.  A last reason is that many schools have dress code issues.  This could be wearing too short of shorts or spaghetti strap shirts.  What is often overpassed, however, is that if a student who breaks the dress code must change into their gym or lost and found clothes, they won’t break the dress code anymore.

So you now understand that some people are for, and against school uniforms.  I believe school uniforms should not be enforced.  Think about it.  Why should schools take away students’ individuality, and comfort, while still having a high cost.

© 2016 Mik Mak


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on June 27, 2016
Last Updated on June 27, 2016

Author

Mik Mak
Mik Mak

About
Hi! I am an aspiring writer and I would like some positive critique to help me become a better author. My dream is to have a book published and to become an eight grade English Language Arts Teacher.. more..

Writing
The One The One

A Poem by Mik Mak


final thoughts final thoughts

A Story by Mik Mak