you think I walk funny

you think I walk funny

A Poem by madelene henry dowe
"

the documentation of the beginning of the end of my self esteem.

"

You think I walk funny.

 

I Don’t think I walk funny.

 

 

 

Do I walk funny?

 

 

 

 

I hope I don’t walk funny. You said I looked like an alien. You said I looked like I was trying to be human, but didn’t do enough research.

Or, maybe that I was in someone else's body, and it wasn’t quite right. Too stiff, you said.

I don’t move my arms when I walk.

My back is unnaturally straight.

 

Do I walk funny?

Why does it matter how I walk? Why were you watching?

 

I don’t want to be funny. How should I walk, then, if this isn’t right?

Am I unnatural? Am I wrong, an alien, a stranger?

 

I don’t want to walk funny. You said I sit too straight, as well.

Should I slouch? I think slouching looks funny, so I don’t slouch.

should I?

 

I like myself. I think.

© 2011 madelene henry dowe


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the picture this poem paints. Wonderful expression of panic and confusion about something so insignificant as walking funny. Excellent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AJ
I like the creative randomness of this piece. It almost seemed rant like until I caught a glimpse of your description - now trying to place it within the mind frame of self esteem and it seems as if it is reminiscent of the constant conflict that we have with ourselves - especially about something so inconsequential. Look forward to reading more from you! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 24, 2011
Last Updated on October 22, 2011

Author

madelene henry dowe
madelene henry dowe

About
I guess I'll only be uploading short stories and poems as a means to keep track of final drafts. I've been working on the same novel for years with no noticeable progress, and I couldn't bear to subje.. more..

Writing