Chapter 28

Chapter 28

A Chapter by Mary
"

help me....

"

 

Chapter 28

 

 

 

“Cory?” Arnina wasn’t sure if she would pass out or throw up, maybe both. “It can’t be him…but that hair…and well his face! It might have been awhile but that is definently my cousin!” she thought.

 

Smith gave her a strange look and said, “What, do you know each other?”

 

“No, Sir.” replied Cory unfazed.

 

“Cory…It’s me! Arnina! Your cousin!” she yelled without thinking.

 

Smith’s eyebrows shot up in momentary shock, he quickly composed himself with a grin, “How very interesting.” Arnina added a silent “Oh great.” and mentally slapped herself.

 

“Your information is incorrect.” Cory said his face unchanged. “I am a Night Chaser; I am here to explain what we are to you. Please do not speak of that nonsense.”

 

Arnina wanted to scream at him, mostly involve a lot of cussing and pointing fingers, both of which could get her killed. So she zipped her lips. Chances where he didn’t even remember her, he was just a child when he was taken, but she had hope. She nodded her head, barley listening as he droned on about the sanctity of being a Night Chaser.

 

He said she would be trained to fight and have extensive knowledge of all the other “lesser beings”. They apparently keep the peace and are the guardians of the big secret: that the “lesser beings” exist in the first place. She was told she would never have to hurt them unless they attack humans and risk the secret, or try to break free of course. She filed that bit in the bullshit category of her brain.

 

When Cory finally stopped talking, after his long speech he looked Arnina in the eye and possibly winked. She wasn’t sure, maybe it was a twitch.

 

“You are dismissed.” Smith murmured.

 

“Well there you have it, a rather lengthy explanation, of what you will be doing. Now do not take this lightly, refusal or any act of disobedience will result in death.” Smith said turning around and walking away.

 

“Oh, and for your information others from your little “fighting” group might also be selected. Only three in total, just thought you might like to know. Possibly then tell others…I would love to see you vermin fight each other for the spots...” his glee filled voice echoed away in the hall, he was no longer in sight.

 

“Why would we want to?” she called after him. But he probably did hear her. The guards took her back to her cell, she didn’t look forward to the retelling of today’s events. There was no telling how Chloe would take the news.

 

 

Arnina sat down on her cot, looked at Chloe. She laid back and stared at the ceiling, her emotions pulling at the surface of her mind. She pushed them back and decided she had to tell Chloe everything.

 

“Ok I have SO much to tell you, just know that no matter what we will stay together! You hear me?”

 

“Yea of course.”

 

“Well…” Arnina began and stopped when they heard a knock at their door. It was not the normal pattern that Aaron and the others use, making Arnina hesitant to knock back.

 

She stood up giving Chloe a questioning look and knocked back. Then quickly took a few steps back as the door opened.

 

“No way.” Arnina whispered as her eyes adjusted on the figure in her doorway.

 

“Hello Arnina it is good to see you again.” said Cory. He seemed to be a completely different person then when she had seen him earlier. His eyes weren’t cold; in fact he looked almost scared himself. “Can I come in, before I am noticed by the guards?”

 

“Um sure.” She said pulling him into their small room.

 

“What. The. Hell.” declared Chloe, “Who is this?”

 

“This is Cory, my long lost cousin, remember? As I was about to say before he showed up, I saw him today, well Smith showed him to me.”

 

“Please debrief your friend later Arnina, we need to talk.” he said looking anxious.

 

“Okay, I honestly don’t know what to say. I assumed you were some big bad Night Chaser now, is that not the story?”

 

“No. I was brought here when I was young and like you showed promise with my powers. I have been a Night Chaser for a very long time.” he paused looking very uncomfortable. “I do what I must to survive, and being a Night Chaser isn’t as bad as being locked up in here. You must know I am not one of the bad guys.”

 

“So let me get this straight. You want me to become a Night Chaser like you because it is more comfortable? What about my friends? What about Chloe?”

 

“Arnina this place doesn’t allow you to think of friends. We survive. I would never wish this on anyone but I am glad to see you again, you were my favorite little cousin.” He said attempting a smile. “And Chloe,” looking at Chloe. “I have been told of your powers also, I do believe Smith is considering you too. We are short in ranks and any new recruits are welcome. Smith just wants to keep you all guessing.”

 

Chloe just looked at him and Arnina in confusion. “Well whatever this is am I glad that I am being considered?”

 

“I suppose.” said Arnina.

 

“I don’t want to be missing for to long, I am being kept on a different floor in Smith’s personal guard.” He said his goodbyes and left swiftly keycard in hand.

 

“Does everyone have a keycard?”

 

“Arnina!”

 

“Oh right, well take a seat I’ll get to talking.” She said with a sigh, both excited and somewhat disappointed by her cousin.

 

 

            



© 2011 Mary


Author's Note

Mary
YES I CHANGED THE ENDING!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think a lot of confusion was created between the mixing of chapters and deletion, but i think it would do yourself some good to idk go back a read from the beginning it might just give you some ideas on how you would be able to improve this story. or just start getting you back into the feel of it. the tention ad mystery is what makes this a good story but here it was just alittle more blunt.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Eh, its not bad....I dont really have much to say sbout it...it felt like it didnt go with the rest of the book the way it was written. i understand where you are going and i like the idea though

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011


Author

Mary
Mary

Canton, OH



Writing
Angel Movements Angel Movements

A Poem by Mary