Walking in The Forest

Walking in The Forest

A Chapter by Hannah Ryan

       I walked down Renton St toward the high school I would be attending in September. I'd already walked by it before. It had two big trees on one side of the building. Today, there were a few kids standing around out front, and when I walked to the back there were more kids. I walked back to the front and continued walking, ignoring the guys behind me whistling and all that. Typical guy behavior.

       That was the problem with guys, they always wanted just one thing, but it was the one thing I didn't want to give. That was why my last boyfriend, Josh, had broken up with me.

       As I kept walking, I got to the entrance to the forest. Devils Valley wasn't that big, and the forest was within walking distance from just about anywhere. I noticed that, a little ways into the forest, there was a guy standing, just looking around. I got curious and walked toward him. "Hey," I said.

       He turned around, and I almost passed out. He was possibly the hottest guy I'd ever seen. He looked about my age, sixteen, maybe a little older, and he had black hair and bangs that hung in his face in a sexy sort of way, light olive skin, and black eyes so dark I couldn't tell the pupil from the iris. He was wearing a black t-shirt, black jacket, and black jeans. He looked at me like he was annoyed. "Can I help you?" he asked.

       Probably gay, I thought, the best guys always are. "Uh, no," I said.

       He kept looking at me. After a moment, he spoke again. "What are you doing out here?" he asked.

       "I, um, I saw you looking around, and I wanted to know what you were, um, doing," I replied.

       "Isn't that a little nosy?" he asked, smiling.

       "Yeah, I guess. I was just curious, you know? Like when a little kid sees something colorful, runs over to it, and finds out it's just some candy wrapper or something," I said.

       I assumed he would make fun of my comment, or stare at me, or laugh at me, but he just shrugged and said, "I was just looking around. Haven't been here for a while."

       "Do you live here?" I asked. "In Devils Valley, I mean."

       He got a weird look on his face, like he was enjoying some private joke. "Yes, I do live here. For now. I haven't seen you before. Are you visiting?" he asked.

       "No. Actually, I just moved here," I said.

       I didn't notice the disgust in my voice until he spoke. "You don't like it here? Understandable, with it being Devils Valley, and all."

       "No, that's not it. I actually like it here, but my friends are back in Florida, and my mom's stupid husband is here, so-"

       "You don't like him?" he interrupted.

       "Who? My mom's husband? No. He's the reason we moved here," I said.

       "What happened to you're father?" he asked.

       "He... he died a couple years ago. Car crash," I said.

       The boy glanced back at me, then looked away. "I shouldn't have asked," he said.

       "No. It's okay," I lied.

       He quickly changed the subject. "You moved here from Florida?"

       I nodded. "Yeah. Have you been there?"

       "I haven't yet. I probably will go eventually," he replied. "What's your name?" he asked.

       "Angel," I replied. "You?"

       He didn't speak for a moment. "Cedric," he said finally. "So, you don't like your stepfather because he made you and your mother move."

       I shook my head.

       "Is this the first time you've moved?" he asked.

       "Yeah. It's my first time out of Florida," I replied.

       "Really?" He seemed fascinated by this. "How could you stay in one place for so long?"

       "I don't like to travel. Then I have to pack, and say goodbye to my friends, and go all the way to a knew place, and meet new people and figure out everything all over again," I said. "You like traveling?"

       "Yes. I do not like being in one place for too long. I frequently travel, usually a few times a month," he replied.

       "And your parents let you do that?" I asked.

       "Yes," he replied.

       "Oh." I said.

       "I suppose if you don't travel often, it may be a bit strange when you finally do," he said. "But haven't you ever wanted to go somewhere you thought you never could?"

       I thought for a moment. "I guess so," I replied.

       "Were you going somewhere?" he asked.

       "What?" I asked confused. "Oh, before I walked out here?"

       "Yes," he said.

       "Um, no, I was just walking. I should probably head back now," I said. "Maybe I'll see you around?"

       "Maybe," he replied, and he walked into the forest, disappearing from sight.



© 2010 Hannah Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
Added on September 26, 2010
Last Updated on September 26, 2010
Tags: cedric, walking, angel, in, the, forest, travel


Author

Hannah Ryan
Hannah Ryan

Lakewood, CO



About
Hair: Shoulder-length, curly (usually flat-ironed, though), brown Eyes: Sort of small, hazel Interests: Reading, writing, watching tv, talking to friends more..

Writing
british british

A Story by Hannah Ryan


Demons Demons

A Chapter by Hannah Ryan