Kinetic World: Chapter 5

Kinetic World: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Prototato

The rest of the day, I got weird looks from every person who even heard about the fight. So much for keeping a low profile. Come lunch, they praised me so much. I had a neutral face the entire time, but inside I was screaming from social anxiety. Sure, I get that it’s supposed to make you feel good and proud, and I get that I basically took down Goliath with mere words, but it didn’t lessen the anxiety of being approached by hundreds of people.
At the end of the day, I walked home, tense and stressed. Instead of going straight home, I texted my dad and sister and said that I was going to stay after school for a while to study for Spanish. They said okay like it was nothing.
If only they knew I never studied.
I walked down our street, and I took a right down the turn-off right before the one I would need to take to my house. I walked for a solid half hour, and finally came upon a walking path. I looked around, and wlaked along it for about a quarter mile. After seeing no people, I ran as fast as fast as I could to a small, barely visible split in the foliage surrounding me. I slinked through, and on the other side was a large grotto with tons of trees. In the center of the grotto was a near-perfect circle void of trees that was around fifty yards in diameter. As far as I knew, nobody else even knew about this place. So this is where I went to train my powers, trying to control them.
The trees nearby sported scorch marks, very recent considering I discovered how to make spheres of explosive energy. It took a lot out of me, thouhg, so I had to make them a lot to build up stamina for my abilities. Today, I tried to summon one the size of a tennis ball; a strict upgrade over the ping-pong ball-sized spheres I normally made. It made me strain my mind and abilities, but I managed to make one. I inspected it closely, not looking up for an extended period of time. I looked to the trees, and noted the massive scorch marks they bore from spheres with a mere 1-inch diameter, and wondered what a sphere four times as big (at least) would do.
I launched it at a nearby tree.
It exploded like normal, but I heard cracking. I looked at the tree.
That minescule sphere had broken 9/10 of the way through a tree trunk around 20 feet thick.
The cracking was from the tree preparing to fall down. I looked up, and it seemed to try to fall directly on me. I flinched away, curling into a ball on the forest floor, but nothing happened. I found myself screaming, and I shut myself up as soon as I could. I blinked.
I didn’t feel anything. I can’t be dead… I thought. I looked up.
The tree seemed to be held in suspended animation not an inch from my face.
I quickly scurried out from under the tree. It still didn’t move, so I poked it. It smashed into the ground, kicking up all kinds of dirt and loose foliage, and I blinked. I began to laugh insanely and nervously.
I had forgotten about kinetic and potential energy.
I laughed harder, and quite loud, at that. I sat there chuckling my head off for a solid ten minutes before I could pull myself together. The feeling of anxiety I had felt with a shocking crmap had dissipated by now. I shook my head, still in disbelief at how lucky I was. Way too lucky.
I decided to go back to training, just aim at the ground this time. I had a feeling that I wouldn’t be so lucky the next time something like this would happen. I cracked my fingers, and summoned four ping-pong ball-sized spheres at a time now, each time taking as much energy as it took to summon one tennis ball-sized sphere. I launched them at the ground in various patterns, trying to control their movement as they flew, their flight speed, and their explosion radius. I was unable to get anything except for their flight speed to change, and that took as much energy as it did to summon one. I wiped the sweat off my brow.
Remembering how I had saved my sorry a*s, I decided to stop with the spheres for the moment and focus on manipulating kinetic and potential energy. I threw a stone in the air, and focused on it. It hit me on the forehead, and I clutched my face in pain, groaning. I shook it off, and tried again, this time stepping out of the way when I got no results. After several more tries, I had grown frustrated. I threw another stone in the air, and launched a small sphere at the dmaned stone, and it shattered and evaporated. I threw another up yet again, anger building. The stone flew higher than I thought it would, and as it came down, I willed it to come down hard.
It rocketed down, and I could hear the wind whipping around it. When it hit the ground, it sank into the hard earth at least ten feet. I blinked, and grew excited. My eyes widened in excitement, and I repeated it several times. Doing the opposite of what worked, I got it to slow down so much that it didn’t even make a sound when it touched the ground.
Tired and content, I summoned forth a tennis ball-sized sphere and held it above my head, deciding spheres would be a good way to wrap up training for the day.
I had an odd feeling, so I turned around.
That’s when I saw a girl, at seemingly my age, with a sphere the same size as mine made of blood floating above her head. We looked at each other with blank looks for a half second, then looked at the spheres floating above our heads.
My mouth opened, but no words came out. She was rather attractive, but she was only around five and a half feet tall, maybe a bit taller. She looked up at me with blue-grey eyes, and I was struck at her mess of long, raven-colored hair. Her face was spotted with freckles, and just like me, she was thin and lanky. She wore a red t-shirt and black sweatpants. I blinked, unsure of how I felt about an attractive girl stanging in front of me with an orb of blood hovering over her head, and I can only imagine what she thought about the sphere above my own head.
We screamed in unison.


© 2017 Prototato


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on February 16, 2017
Last Updated on April 17, 2017
Tags: Kinetic, world, kinesis, kinetic world, protato, prototato


Author

Prototato
Prototato

Little Canada, MN



About
I'm an aspiring author of 16 years, and according to my family and friends, I have some sort of raw talent for it. Personally, I don't see it... What I DO see is my insanity. I'd love for your anal.. more..

Writing
The Park The Park

A Story by Prototato


The Plague The Plague

A Poem by Prototato