the stars shine for us

the stars shine for us

A Story by J. C. Alvares
"

Just a short story I happened to write.

"

“It might take too long to figure everything out.” He didn’t look at her when he said so. Summer had just started and it felt like everything was going to melt in the hot evening air even though the sun had already set, leaving them with the feeling the world was a sweaty bubble between the sky and the feet beneath them. High school was over and they were going to different colleges as soon as the temperature indicated their time was over. It was a new start, their parents would say, excited their children were so grown-up. However, starting over felt more like a funeral than an awesome experience when two childhood friends had to go separate ways, fearing they would never feel the same once they were far apart. There was nothing to be done but go on with life, they both knew so, but every second that passed felt like life as they knew it was quickly fading.
                “What are you talking about?” She didn’t look at him either. His friendship was all that mattered when she felt like there was nothing else to lose. Cloudy days had passed and he didn’t leave her side when she screamed at him to leave her alone, when she told him there was no hope, that he should be enjoying life. But how could he, he would say, live and enjoyable life when someone so special was feeling so miserable. Maybe there isn’t much I can say, he would go, holding her hand, but you don’t have to fight it alone. They didn’t fight often, but it hurt when she realized he was mad at her. It even hurt to be mad at him, even if she knew there was nothing that could tear them apart. Not until this whole new lifestyle felt so close, so suffocating. Sometimes she would find herself having trouble to breathe before she could finally fall asleep �" if felt like life was taking her breath away by making her say goodbye after all those years of “I promise I’ll be here forever”.
                He didn’t know if he should said it out loud, maybe it would sound stupid. Nothing different crossed the dark-blue sky, but he noticed that the stars seemed to shine brighter, like they were providing a motivation for him to go on. He shifted uncomfortably on the grass. It didn’t feel right to be leaving her behind. She had been his bright spot when he thought nothing else mattered �" he wanted to be there for her, and he knew she would do the same for him. She would tell him the silliest jokes so his bad mood would just fade, and it worked 98% of the time. “I don’t believe in fate. We chose it, right? I mean, we didn’t choose to go separate ways, but we know we should do this. I mean…” He sighed, almost sure he was sounding nonsense when she looked at him with her brow furrowed. He didn’t look away when he spoke. “I wish we could stay here forever. You and I. I liked the old times, but I know we gotta grow up too, and truth be said, I like the way we turned out to be. It’s not like nothing has changed �" a lot has changed �" but we managed to stay true to ourselves, true to each other.” A short laugh caught up in his breath, making her smile. “I’m sounding terrible. Okay, let’s try again: I’m not sure of what’s going to happen. And God, I’m scared. I know everything’s gonna be different, and that freaks me out. It scares me that I’m not going to have you by my side too.”
                She looked at him, feeling something warm in her chest. It was not the first time she felt it, and it didn’t preoccupy her. She didn’t know what was going to happen either, and she was afraid of what could happen to them, maybe it could destroy everything they ever knew. Much had changed, indeed, and she felt different, though it felt good as well. It felt like seeing him was everything it got to light her mood. They never felt awkward when silence fell, not since they could remember; there was this feeling that no words were needed sometimes. It hadn’t changed either, but there were days when she felt there was something missing, only to decide that some things are better left unspoken…especially when she wasn’t sure of what was happening, exactly. Even if she knew he had the right to know. Even though she wish she could say something out loud. “It scares me too.” She looked away for one second, and then back at him. “I don’t remember a time when we didn’t have each other to hold. I mean...I…”. She felt blood rush to her face. She didn’t want to spoil whatever time they had before their goodbyes, maybe it was better if she kept quiet. This feeling was so light, so warming; maybe it would ruin everything if she told him. “I don’t regret that time has passed. But I did hope we could stay, you know…we could remain this way, too. There is so much that’s gonna change, and maybe some stuff will be good, but I wish other things could keep on going, growing stronger everyday instead of being torn apart. I know it sounds harsh and wow, it isn’t that extreme, but I know things will just…I don’t know.”
                He took her hand in his without thinking too much. Maybe it was time he told her what she meant for him. They had grown up together, this feeling was so new, so raw, and yet so innocent and beautiful. He knew she wouldn’t laugh, but maybe she could prefer to back away, and he wouldn’t stand it for too long, not when he knew they were really going to be torn apart by what people liked to call fate. He didn’t believe it, but he knew some things were not in their hands to decide and some choices lead people out of their ways in order for them to be able to continue their path through life. He knew people changed, everyone changed, but it was still hard to believe everything was going to change all of a sudden after Summer was over. He breathed in heavily, and when he looked up, she was looking at him with a surprised look.
                Both their hearts raced along time as they felt it slip away. Fireflies were the only light in the still air apart from the stars looking expectantly at them, shining with delight as they got closer, knowing there were words that were not better left unspoken, but that there was no need for them when their feelings exploded into the night sky.

© 2012 J. C. Alvares


Author's Note

J. C. Alvares
Please ignore grammar problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the emotive quality in this write! Especially the last two paragraphs, hey do you think we could put some spaces so it's easier to read?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 4, 2012
Last Updated on August 4, 2012

Author

J. C. Alvares
J. C. Alvares

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil



About
I was told fairytales were meant to last - I'd rather be a warrior than a princess, though. (20 year old Brazilian girl. Studying Literature, hoping I can create a world of my own and live there somed.. more..

Writing
Ravens Ravens

A Story by J. C. Alvares


deathbed deathbed

A Story by J. C. Alvares