6 Tips To Calm Your Interview Nerves

6 Tips To Calm Your Interview Nerves

A Story by leolienjozii
"

Nothing is as nerve-wracking as the fifteen minutes before an important interview. Here are some tips to help you remain calm and focused, so you can put your best foot forward.

"

1. Breathing

For five minutes, forget the interview. Forget the pressure of landing that internship or job of your dreams. Close your eyes, and shut out the world around you. Inhale through your nose, slowly contracting your abdominal muscles, before gently releasing the absorbed oxygen. Release your mind from all the expectations and worries.


Breathing has been scientifically proven as an effective method for relieving stress and will minimize anxiety before meeting your potential employer.

2. Massage

Placing your left hand onto your right shoulder, rub the muscle with slight pressure. After approximately thirty seconds, switch hands and gently rub your left shoulder with your right hand. Tilting your head slightly forward, rub the nape or base of your neck. Roll your head slowly in circular motion a few times.


Massage therapy helps improve circulation and revitalizes your energy, helping you feel more focused and alert for the interview.

3. Get Organized

Go through your materials once again, making sure you have everything you need for the interview. Do you have additional copies of your resume, cover letters, and transcripts printed? Do you have a pen and paper for jotting down notes? Are your supplementary materials (such as your portfolio, PowerPoint presentation, etc) ready?


Being organized will help you appear composed and prepared, both of which are traits that interviewers look for in candidates. Not to mention, knowing you have everything you’ll need will give you peace of mind.

4. Refresh

Re-read the information you have researched and prepared for the interview. Which program did you apply for, and what aspects of that position interest you most? What do you look for in a work environment, and how does the company meet those expectations? How can you as an individual contribute to the development of the organization?


Reminding yourself of these details will help you answer important interview questions effectively,fueling your confidence and improving the interviewer’s impression of you.

5. Distract Yourself

Sometimes, your mind needs is a break. Listen to music by your favorite artist. Read some sarcastic yet witty posts on your favorite forums or blogs. Scroll through some of your old photos, and laugh at the memories. Remember the people that matter most to you (your family, friends, mentors) and send them a thank-you text or email for the endless support they’ve provided.


Diverting your mind from the stress and pressure will help you relax, allowing you to feel more comfortable during the interview.

6. Look forward

Think about the movie you want to watch tonight. Think about hanging out with friends during the upcoming weekend. Think about the delicious food you plan to eat for dinner. Think about any exciting plans you have made post-interview, and treat them as your reward for a job well done.


Not only will this lift your mind from the anxiety and stress, it will improve your mood, which enhances your performance for the interview.



Don’t forget to follow up your interview with a thank you note. First impressions are important, but so is post-interview communication.

© 2015 leolienjozii


Author's Note

leolienjozii
For more of my writing, please visit blog.jozii.com.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on October 13, 2015
Last Updated on October 13, 2015
Tags: Interview, Preperation, Relaxation, Job, Internship

Author

leolienjozii
leolienjozii

New York, NY



About
An aspiring writer hoping to help college students discover their passions, and hone the essential tools needed for job and internship applications. more..

Writing