Cupid

Cupid

A Poem by Lena
"

Written for Valentine’s Day (my favorite holiday), inspired by love for classical red roses as well as short dating experience

"
In the garden I plant red roses. They’re basic but they’re my favorite you see. They’re filled with love, laughter and so many kind memories. So I plant each bush with love and care, and give them all my time. Watering and nurturing them. Singing and Talking to them. Putting in so much effort because they’re special, and not just to me. You see, theses roses will one day be filled with love, laughter, and new kinds of memories. So I give them all my effort, I really have to try. These roses are so special, I can’t let them die. So I give them all my effort, my love, energy and time, so they grow to be beautiful and be picked at your delight. You see these, roses are more than just roses, but personifications of love. So to me they are extremely special like angels from above.

So when entered the garden, with despair, evilness and hate. I picked you a single rose, my favorite, hoping to change your fate. Yet to my surprise, you were a demon in disguise, turning this garden, a sanctuary of love and good fate, into a playground, personifing hate.

You say “theses roses are so basic” so you plant weeds in their place. Taking up this garden and taking up this space. Who are you to say what’s special when you hardly have any taste. You kill love, joy and happiness with a smile on your face.

So give me back my rose, the one I held so dear. The one I nurtured and cared for all of these years. Though you say “It’s too late” and “that I’ve already sold my fate” All because I believed that loving you was so much better than Hate. And while You held me tight, treating me as if I were your persephone. I begged you to let me go, you just weren’t meant for me. So you can keep that rose, and I’ll watch it wilt.

Crying on the outside, though not feeling an ounce of guilt. Our love wasn’t beautiful, but how could that be, did I switch out red roses for pesticides and weeds?

-Lena Packer

© 2024 Lena


Author's Note

Lena
Thank you for reading and let me know how you feel about it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on June 10, 2024
Last Updated on June 10, 2024
Tags: Love, Romance, Valentine, Holiday, Rose, Mythology, Greek

Author

Lena
Lena

Chicago , IL



About
Hi I’m Lena! I love writing, especially poetry and I plan on sharing my work whenever I can more..