Persuasive essay

Persuasive essay

A Story by leighbeck198

Leigh Beck Period 1
4/15/12 Language Arts

That’s so Gay

When we say that’s so gay what do we mean? Do we mean that the object is homosexual? No we don’t. It usually is a statement that is describing something stupid or lame. You should stop using the word gay as an insult because it’s not the correct use of the word, it’s bullying gay people, and some gay students commit suicide or don’t achieve their life goals.
First using the word gay as an insult is not the correct use of the word. The definition of the word gay is showing a merry or lively mood, bright or showy colors, and a homosexual. (Unknown “Webster Dictionary” 1) Nowhere does it say stupid or lame. When you use the word gay inapropreatly you are simply saying that gay people are stupid and inferior to yourself. It doesn’t matter if you mean to or not. You may just be carelessly saying it without thinking, but it doesn’t matter! Homosexuals shouldn’t be scared shouldn’t be ridiculed, and shouldn’t be ashamed.
Next when you use gay as an insult you are bullying gay people. 90% of students at school hear or say gay remarks (Unkown “Get informed” 1). That’s so many people that are being immature, being offensive and being crude. What is people called something stupid by saying thats so blonde or that’s so tall? What if you were blonde and tall? Wouldn’t you feel like they were directly insulting you? So what’s different? Nothing, nothing is different! 9 out of 10 gay students report being made fun of in school. (Unkown “Get informed” 1). Over 1 third of them are physically abused because of their sexuality! Does that sound right? It shouldn’t. Gay is a sexuallity. Gay is not an insult.
Finally some homosexuals feel unsafe at school and don’t go to college. Could you imagine not going to college and achieving your life goals all because some people can’t accept that some people are different. Some even commit suicide, suicide! Think about all the news you’ve heard about bullying. Many of them end the same way with the teen taking their own life. It’s awful to think that some people can’t feel safe even in their own homes and schools.
We can stop the insults and the bullying. We can all make a difference by doing one simple thing. Think before we speak.( “thinkb4youspeak” 1) An organization called thinkb4youspeak is challenging all of us to stop using the word gay as an insult and think before we speak. (“thinkb4youspeak” 2) I’ve accepted the challenge. Now it’s your turn, because let’s face it it’s getting old.

© 2012 leighbeck198


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is very true, gay should not be used in that context and it's horrible that that's happening to people just because they want to be themselves. Made me thing about my homosexual friends, and how they cry to me. Very good essay, if there were more people who think the way you do ther world would be a much nicer place.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

leigh this piece is amazing! its a great topic that people in this world should come to respect and understand.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is very true, gay should not be used in that context and it's horrible that that's happening to people just because they want to be themselves. Made me thing about my homosexual friends, and how they cry to me. Very good essay, if there were more people who think the way you do ther world would be a much nicer place.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 27, 2012
Last Updated on April 27, 2012

Author