The Field of Mortellas

The Field of Mortellas

A Chapter by Kayla

Chapter 4: The Field of Mortellas

The world around us morphed as we walked through the mirror.  Where there was once an ugly beige carpet, there was now bright green grass.  Trees appeaered out of nowhere.  Flowers blossomed into bright yellows and reds, and every color you can imagine.

I looked up at the sky.  The only time I had ever seen it that blue, was in my dream.

"Where are we?" I asked, astounded by the beauty of the place.

"We're in Temora.  The countryside, just outside of Alazainia." Alexander replied.

My eyes scanned the glorious field of flowers.  And suddenly I  had the urge to run through it.  I caved in to my want and let my legs carry me to the edge of the field.  But before I could put my foot in the flowers, Alexander appeared in front of me and stopped me.

"Hey!" I shouted.  I wanted nothing more than to punch him and run through the field.

"I know you want to run through there.  But it is a trick.  And it will kill you." he said, pushing me away from the field.

"Huh? I don't understand....they're just flowers."

"They are not just flowers.  They are Mortellas.  They seduce all creatures.  Well except for two." he smirked.

"So how do they kill people?" I asked.

"It comes in steps.  First they make you have the strongest urge to touch one.  Once you have made contact, you get a tingling feeling that slowly crawls up your legs and through your entire body.  And then those tingles start to feel like knives piercing your body.  The next thing you know, your lying dead in a field of flowers that feed off of your flesh."

I stood in front of him, feeling angry. "Do you think I'm and idiot or something?!"

"I'm telling the truth! I know these things....I used to be human once!"

I still didn't believe him about the flowers. "Then prove that the flowers do that."

Alexander shrugged his shoulders and then looked around the trees.  Sniffing the air.  He looked up one of the trees, reached up, and grabbed a squirrel that was in his reach.

He walked back to me with the squirrel in his left hand.

"Watch this." he said and tossed the squirrel into the flowers.

The squirrel started to vibrate.  The vibration spread from his toes, until it reached his head.  Then the squirrel started shaking violently.  It made the most awful screeching noise.  And then it fell to the ground without another sound.

I felt guilty immediatley.  That poor animal lost his life all because I wouldn't believe Alexander.

"I just did like you asked." said Alexander, indifferently.

Tears began to fall from my eyes.  I felt terrible.

"Come on.  We better get going." he tugged on my arm.

"Give me a second! I just realized something." My crying stopped as I made the realization.

"What's that?"

"You said you used to be human."

"No I didn't, Stella." he answered quickly.  A little too quickly.

"Yes you did!"

"No I didn't!" he said and leaned in closer to me.  His pupils grew larger then smaller three or four times.

"That's a nice trick you do with your eyes, but you did say that you used to be human!"

Alexander immediately looked confused.  Like something he was sure would work, didn't. "Alright you caught me.  But I can't tell you anymore than that!"

"Why not?!"

He didn't answer me.

"Answer me, or I'll..."

"You'll what?! Kick me?! You have no power over me! I'm a...." he caught himself before he could say what he was.

"A what?"

"Lets go!"

"Not until I get answer." I said stubbornly.

'Now Stella!" he snarled.

I didn't move.

Alexander hissed and bent into a crouch.  His eyes turned black and he barred his sharp teeth at me.

It was then that I had found out what he was. "You're a vampire!"

He stood up straight.  Eyes and teeth turning back to normalcy.

"You're a vampire." I repeated.

"Yes." he hissed under his breath.

"That explains everything!"

He cocked his head. "Everything?"

"Yes.  You're unusual speed, why you were sniffing to find the squirrel, you're anger issues.  But what is that trick you did with your eyes?"

"It forces you to do what I want you to." he seemed reluctant to answer. " I did it to you in your bedroom, but for some reason it didn't work when I did it just now.  That's never happened to me before."

I laughed mentally.  The mirror made me a mutant!

"Come on." He tugged on my arm again. "Now you know what I am.  So can we go now?"

"One more thing."

He sighed. "What now?!"

"How can I know to trust you?"

"I haven't hurt you yet, have I?" Alexander replied.

"No."

"And don't you think if I was planning to kill you, I would have done it by now?"

"I guess."

"Then lets go!" he pulled my arm again.

This time I followed.  And we walked away from the field of Mortellas, and towards whatever lies ahead of us.

 

 

 



© 2009 Kayla


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing chapter! I do feel bad for the squirrel though ):

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i think i wanted to laugh and cry at the same time when he just grabbed the squirrel and tossed it into the flowers...by the way very creative thing going on with the mortellas....anyways this was a good chapter and she sure found out quickly that he was a vampire...o and although he says he wont harm her i still dont believe it but i could be wrong...good chapter :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is sooooo good. I love his attitude, and Its funny and cute how they are arguing. I sense some chemistry, you did really well on this. Mi Piace! Molt bene mia amica :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
3 Reviews
Added on November 24, 2009
Last Updated on December 29, 2009


Author

Kayla
Kayla

Rochester, NY



About
My name is Kayla. I live in the United States of America. I am starting my first year at Monroe Community College. I am extremely close to my family. I have three best friends (Cassidy, Karl.. more..

Writing
Alazainia Alazainia

A Book by Kayla


The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Kayla