Peaceful Coexistence

Peaceful Coexistence

A Poem by Nautili

                    Suppose I was worshipping my God

And you saw me

                            praising a God

 that you don’t believe is real,

(and I believe just as strongly is real.)

        Would you scorn me secretly,

                               or even worse, openly?

         

       Would you be full of ridicule,

       believing me to be a weak fool;

                     for believing in a fable,

       for blindly eating tainted food

                     from a tempting table?

 

      Would you condescendingly

     assure me

that I am wasting my time,

                                      for no one is there

to hear my prayer?

       Would you,

                      would you?

© 2011 Nautili


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Faith has no limits; and with God in ones heart only a fool will not hear the prayers of another.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such a simply stated poem yet it carries such a clout. Are we really tolerant of the faith of others? This poem forces the reader to consider his/her position.
Well penned, thoughtful poetry.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ah, now we're talking. A direct challenge to convention. Is religious tolerance real or artifice? I think it depends on where you are and who you're with which (at least for me) puts it firmly in the realm of artifice.
It's like the old saying "Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die."
Everyone wants their religion to be right and true and for that to be true your religion has to be wrong.
I like the fact that you're not afraid to ask the question....Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A strange question. Of course I believe in One God,
If you are praying , you are talking to your God.
I suppose there are people who would deny any
of us our right to peace, but we must reject thier
'philosophy.
---- John

Posted 12 Years Ago


No I wouldnt , your God in in your heart ... if you believe he / she with you than they are... no matter what I say , or others

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting...I don't know...Everyone is convinced in their own mind. Some people are 100% sure that no 'higher power' exists in this world...and others still are just as convinced in their gods. Then there are those who believe in one god and scoff at the others...
There are, also, those who worship the same god, but different versions of him -
Jesus1.0, Jesus2.0...
But what I can't stand is people who believe - or not believe - something and anything without fully understanding it themselves. The ones who depend on other people - priests, popes, pastors, parents - to decide for them, to shape them, to tell them what they believe.
To think for them.
These are the Sheep in the Wild that you'll find in much of my poetry.
Such people get exploited, deceived, and enslaved - HYPNOTIZED - into believing lies...just cause they wouldn't look under the surface and test what it is they're hearing.
They haven't a clue what they believe in. They belong to a church, a creed, a flock. _ 'Im a Muslim' 'I'm a Christian' they say. Why, you ask? 'Well, my parents -' 'My family's been a member since 197-'
Sheep.
Thanks for this piece, it's a real thought provoker.


Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
PRAYERS are just prayers, each to their own,,, I see your wonder, but what about the other side of that question, would you?

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well put together. I could see the questions in your thought process...how you engage the reader instead of just spinning a poem for them to mindlessly follow.
Kudos to you...keep them coming

Posted 12 Years Ago


This write is strong with a tinge of spiritual courage and awakening. Loved the flow, repetition and rhymes. 90. Amazing message blazing here. Keep writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2011
Last Updated on December 8, 2011

Author

Nautili
Nautili

NY



About
A Dream Within A Dream Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow- You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if.. more..

Writing
Dutch Boy Dutch Boy

A Poem by Nautili



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..