1

1

A Chapter by Katharine

“Bandits.”

“Nah, that doesn’t suit us.”

“Thieves?”

“Try again.”

“Robbers?”

“Seriously? That’s the best you can come up with?”

“Hooligans?”

“Hmm, Hooligans. Definitely has a ring to it.”

The twins smiled at each other. They kept a steady stride toward the wall. The night whistled eerie chimes like an anthem welcoming the outlaws. The river flowed next to them, directing them through the night with the help of dim lighting from the moon. The grass below their feet was midnight blue, dancing wherever the breeze led them. The twins planted their feet steadily before the water. The river surrounded the wall, but within it, a secret passage to the Grand City awaited them. Dressed in all black with heavy backpacks causing them to slouch, “You ready?” Selena asked.

Her brother quickly tightens his backpack on his shoulders, the cluttering of spray cans, paint brushes, and a violin awakens rainless thunder. Lightning brightens his face as he smiles to say, “Let’s do this.”

They dove into the water, ready to bring color into the The Grand City, famously nicknamed, “The Dull Shity.”


Evangeline slowly opened her eyes. The sun climbed over the mountains and touched the sky. It was morning. Her mother raised the worn out drapes that contained them in their tree house that had a floor and a roof, but was missing everything else. She tied the rope connected to the drapes around the tree branch that offered shade for them during hot periods. Her mother’s red dreadlocks had different colors of green and blue spots from beads she made herself to contain her willy hair. She was wearing the grey uniform from The Dull S****y. Her mother turned and faced her, smiling at her with speckled freckles highlighting her bright green eyes more than ever. Today was Generosity. Evangeline slowly rose from her tan and purple pillows to smile back and comment, “I hope you’re not going with your hair looking like that.”

Her mother laughed, “Obviously, I’ll put it up in a bun, the water should tame it for a while.”

Her mom walked across the floor decorated with colorful blankets, pillows, tapestries, and books to unlock their family chest. Evangeline noticed two people were missing from their orange and green pillow nests. “Where’s Selena and Roland?” she yawned. Her mom shrugged, “I don’t know, maybe they went in the Grand City, hoping to make a name or rumor for themselves among the slaves.”

Evangeline rolled her eyes, “They’re not slaves mom.”

Her mom kneeled down and started to shake the lock with the golden key already stuck inside, “Alright, zombies, whatever tickles your fancy.”

Evangeline giggled, “I was thinking more on the side of dip-s***s.”

Her mom bursted out laughing and howled, “Man, I am so glad I was not stuck in there.”

The chest’s latch unhinged and swung back open to reveal precious valuables such as several pieces of homemade clothing, paints, paintbrushes, a flute, a fiddle, high quality corn seeds, apple seeds, and avocado seeds. Beneath it all though, clothes that belong to citizens from the Grand City, useful for disguises. Her mother effortlessly reached in and whipped out a grey dress. She tossed it to quick-reflexed Evangeline who easily caught it and swayed herself up on her feet so she may change into the bland outfit. She let the skinny straps of her white dress slip off her shoulders and restlessly shimmied off the dress until it slid down to her feet. Her mother grabbed the fiddle and flute and twisted her head to her beautiful daughter with hazel eyes that brightened with the ugly grey dress, enlightening the tan in her fair skin as well. Her mother tossed the flute to her and giggled, “Ready to cause some trouble?” Evangeline caught the flute and pressed her instrument against her lips to play a few notes. She pulled away from her choice of weapon with a sly smile, “Always.”

Evangeline and her mother, both equipped with instruments, scaled down their tree. It was great big, old tree, covered in green moss and multi-colored flowers. Evangeline whistled and called, “Peanut! Peanut! Come here boy!” A slight shutter came from within the brush below them. Evangeline’s grin widened. An elephant appeared with a trunk already extended toward Evangeline, awaiting to catch her from above. She leaped to her beloved pet. He caught her in his trunk and cradled her as a father does to his toddler when he tosses her in the air and saves her from falling onto an unforgiving ground. Peanut lifted her up and placed her on his back so she may steer him to her desired location. Evangeline’s mother, however, finished climbing down their tree and walked beside Peanut. She stroked the back of his massive ear and ordered, “Let’s go and meet everyone.” Before Evangeline could even chime in to agree, an obnoxious horn awoke the forest. 

Birds chattered and flew away from the noise. Dogs and wolves howled. Even Peanut trumpeted along with the horn. Evangeline recognized that sound immediately. “Pirates,” she acknowledged excitedly. Her mother confusedly turned her head where the ocean was, “Why the hell are they here?” She grimaced at her daughter, “Sorry love, if pirates are here, that must mean they’re here to see you.” Evangeline automatically understood her mother’s tone, she was going to the Grand City without her. “You’re the one who made the truce with them, which means you’re the one who is the most capable of corroborating with them.” Evangeline tried her best to sound disappointed, “It’s ok mom, there’s always next month for Generosity.” She pitifully smiled, “Exactly, I’ll see you when I get back.” She patted the back of Peanut’s ear and headed the opposite direction from where the horn sounded. Evangeline stroked the top of Peanut’s head and happily demanded, “Come on, let’s go greet Kelvin.” She lifted her right hand where she held the flute, put it against her lip, and played a high note. Peanut responded by quickly stampeding into the dark path, where a beach grew into view with each step he took.



© 2014 Katharine


Author's Note

Katharine
beginning of chapter 1

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

Katharine
Katharine

Brisbane , Queensland , Australia



About
Hi, I come up with a lot of crazy-random stuff from time to time. They start as antidotes from strange and wonderful conversations between friends on social media ....and then have a tendency to s.. more..

Writing
Thank you Thank you

A Story by Katharine


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Katharine