Drowning (Alcoholism)

Drowning (Alcoholism)

A Poem by Krystal

Drowning, I think, is the most terrifying thing that you can do. Your natural instincts can’t help you. You open your eyes and it burns. You gasp for air but there’s nothing to breathe. You push your arms against the attack, but you don’t know which way is up. You’re left kicking and thrashing in a panic, eyes shut as tight as possible, losing yourself with every attempt to stay alive.

That’s how it feels at the bottom of a bottle. You spiral down without a clue, like swimming out farther and farther away from shore, and the next thing you know, there’s nothing but blue for miles. You’re alone, fighting the waves without any help. There’s bound to be a few bigger than your head, but you can make it out alive, right?

But we all know storms are worse out at sea, so what happens when you’re caught in one? There’s wind and rain and a frustrated ocean, determined to bring you down. What happens when you’re left alone with nothing but your wicked thoughts, no one is answering your calls?  There’s only one thing you can do. Drink and swim, swig and try to stay afloat.

And the next thing you know, it happens. You’re drowning. Gulping salt, or whiskey. Closing your eyes to the stinging water, or the bathroom light. Fighting against the depths of the ocean, or maybe unconsciousness. Floating face down in the ocean is so much like laying naked against cold tiles in a pool of liquor.

© 2011 Krystal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Drowning (Alcoholism) -A Poem by Krystal is interesting to read. I like it, Krystal, and I agree. The sea of alcoholism is a mad ocean to drown in. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Added on May 7, 2011
Last Updated on May 7, 2011

Author

Krystal
Krystal

Long Island, NY



About
This is my writing. This is my photography. This is my videography. more..

Writing
Comfort Comfort

A Poem by Krystal


The Big Game The Big Game

A Poem by Krystal


Chapters Chapters

A Poem by Krystal