~Chapter One~

~Chapter One~

A Chapter by Maxine

I fell, hard.

“Oowwwchh!!” I yelled. “Hey, that hurt!”

“Too bad. Super heroes are always getting hurt.” Mrs. Engelhart said. I sighed and stood up.

“Okay, okay. Lets try again.” I said.

“That’s the spirit! Now, try throwing that car at me.” We were in a street setting. Concentrating fiercely, I picked up the car and threw it at her. She threw up a force field around the car and set it gently on the ground.
”good, good!”

Perhaps I should explain myself. My name is Susan Darsson. I am a super hero in training. I was at Klark Kents School for super heroes. I had black hair, hazel eyes, and could move stuff without touching it, make a kind of invisible force field around stuff, and fly. Usually. But today wasn’t really my day.

“Susan, look out!” I turned around. Mrs. Engelhart had done a complicated maneuver with a make-shift ramp and force field that caused a ginormus chunk of cement to shoot straight towards me! I dodged out of the way just in time. As it was, the rock landed directly to my right. I was catapulted into the air, crumpling on the cement for the second time in 10 minutes. I groaned.

“Ms. Darsson, I am ashamed! Where is your mind today?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed. An hour and several falls later, I was on the way to lunch.
”Hey!” I whipped around and spotted my friend and roommate, Melissa racing towards me, with her brown hair streaming along behind her. She has a special connection with the wind. It’s her power. She did a gigantic leap and landed next to me.

“Hi,” she said cheerfully.

“Hi,” I growled.

“Looks like somebody had a bad day,” she replied in a sing-song voice.

“Tell me about it. Mrs. Engelhart totally caught me by surprise. Three times. And I almost destroyed the game I was making in Tec class. This day has been awful!”

We walked into the lunchroom. It was a complete mad house, just like always. The entire school ate lunch at the same time, and at least four people were showing off. More than once, a kid who couldn’t control his anti-gravity shoes (A.G. Shoes for short) and would careen into the table, sending food everywhere. I had never bothered with them because flying was so easy (once you got the hang of it). I saw what the lunch was and moaned. It was meatloaf and steamed broccoli, an all time low. I got my tray and headed for a table with Melissa, only to swerve away when I saw Ashley, my worst enemy sitting there. It was like Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy: hate at first sight. I dodged some guys who where trying (and not succeeding) to feed a dog some of the meatloaf and sat down at an almost empty table. Melissa came up behind me and sat down, panting.

“There is no way I am eating this,” I moaned. After going hungry, I went over to flying class.

“Did everyone do their homework?” asked Ms. Byrd. I sighed.
”No, Ms. Byrd,” said the kids who didn’t do their homework. The homework was to do a worksheet about flying. I couldn’t do it because I had to practice for that big test in karate class… oh-oh. That was today. As I flew through the obstacle course, I thought about it, which is why I almost had a collision with Sam Houston.

“Sorry! Are you okay?” Sam was the cutest boy in school. I had crashed into him! Today was the worst day ever when I finally collapsed into bed; I was exhausted and fell asleep straight away. When I woke up, I felt much better, and there were even pancakes for breakfast. My favorite! And best of all, the principal announced that all the classes where cancelled except How to Control Your Powers (Control) and meditation (Med), and we would do the fire exercise! ( Med was a relaxing exercise that you had to do everyday.) the fire exercise was so much fun! You got to rescue someone from a burning building. It was even fun if you weren’t rescuing or being rescued because you had roles, such as police man, reporter, or innocent bystander. Innocent bystander was bor-ring, but the other ones were fun. Anyway, back to the main part: the heros. Everyone had to rescue and be rescued.

I stood at the bottem of the building and looked up. Somewhere in there was Ashley, and I had to rescue her. Part of the roof collapced, and I was showered by ash. I leaped into the air and swooped up to the second story window, where I had to enter. I slipped in and lisened closely for Ashleys crys . suddenly, I heard a thin cry.

“hello? Hello? Susan, are you there?”

“Ashley! Ashley, I’m coming!” I shot through the halls, looking for a sign of life, anything that wasn’t a blazing inferno. Suddenly, I spotted a small clothed figure! I swooped towards it.

“Ashley! Ashley, are you okay?” I turned her over, and saw… one of the 5 decoys that were placed in the building before it was set ablaze. I threw it away and swooped through a hole in the ceiling and saw a figure stumbling about in the blaze. Ashley's Powers were she could change her shape; she could stretch it or flatten it. However, in the Fire exercise, we weren't supposed to use our powers, except in an emergency. 





© 2010 Maxine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like it! Please write more!

Posted 14 Years Ago


yeeeaaaannnnnooooo, not really, no.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Did you ever actually do anything with this after last year? Anywayz, it's really good... for a Squib :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2010
Last Updated on January 22, 2010


Author

Maxine
Maxine

Boulder, CO



About
I love to read, and am also in the middle of writing my story, which is currently untitled. more..

Writing
Irony Irony

A Poem by Maxine