A (Not So) Simple Game of Chess

A (Not So) Simple Game of Chess

A Poem by J. James Reider

Lo! Sixteen soldiers in two rows,
the war will start when white Pawn goes...
I see you creeping with your knight,
upon this field of black and white.

 

My Bishop's ugly and so mean,
now watch him take your lovely Queen...
The future's dim, no longer bright,
upon this field of black and white.

 

Lo! Castle now to save your King,
watch for the hell twin Rooks will bring...
You're in check, victory's in sight,
upon this field of black and white.

 

Soldiers are scattered from this fight,
upon this field of black and white!

© 2008 J. James Reider


Author's Note

J. James Reider
I chose a Kyrielle Sonnet because I fell in love with my refrain... It's not normal for me to center a poem around a refrain, but it worked this time!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice one. I enjoyed this one. Was trying to get going this morning. Turned on a little light Metallica and read this strong poem. I like the sharpness of the black and white. I want no grey this morning. Was also thinking about how US forces have on occasion deployed Metallica in various war zones and how such music can terrify. I also recall the stirring chess game in the Harry Potter film where various pieces are atomised. And in The Tempest where chess features in a love setting. And in The Seventh Seal film where the knight back from the crusades plays chess with Death. Favourite line: 'Watch for the hell twin rooks will bring' which has a certain martial elan about it. Chess fascinates as it is both very simple and yet can be fiendish complex, as your headline captures. Also we all, men especially, love competition. And the game normally produces a winner. The headline might also suggest you are writing about more than chess. Guess what I counted the lines before I read just to see what you were up to form wise. It all hangs together tightly, like a well set out chess board. Very pleasing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Its very nice indeed to make it rhyme like that....

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really love the simplicity in this piece.

But at the same time, not to be confused as a simple piece, there is a lot of depth.

Seeing the whole situation as strategy and even more. I have to read this over and over and over again.

Your fundamentals are great.

A wonderful piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is well worded and I love the Pizzazz and rhythm, sort of like the way you play chess. Don't know about Kyrielle Sonnet, but the poem I found fantastic�

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is a lovely piece you got here. Nice rhyming, and using the game of chess as a topic for poetry makes it interesting :)

a very light read with a subtle humor! i enjoyed it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


There is nothing wrong with centering upon a refrain. This piece stands out as an ode to chess players everywhere. It reeks of the sweat poured into the loss of the game, as well as the anticipation of the victory. Well done, my friend.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I added this one to my favorites!

(please note that I am being nice to you)

YOU ROCK!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful Sonnet. Works beautifully.
Chess is a game I learned from my step-father.
While he was dying of cancer, we played all the time.
I miss those days. Great Job!

Sincerely,
Wicahpi

Posted 15 Years Ago


Nicely done Jeff. I really enjoyed this one. The longer I hang out at WC and read your kind of poetry the more I enjoy it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Somehow you took the most aggravating game in the world and made me like it... only you Reider...only you ...lol
You could create an epic out of this...
Excellent :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked it. I don't do particularly well at chess but I still enjoy it; I miss the old board games and I loved the fact that it almost felt like a true battle of sorts, not just a game.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 16, 2008

Author

J. James Reider
J. James Reider

Eighty Four, PA



About
Hello to my friends at the Cafe. I wanted to inform you I will be leaving the Cafe effective February 1st to pursue other interests. I have met some good friends and great writers over the time I.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


within within

A Poem by TamiViolet