4) Nightmare

4) Nightmare

A Chapter by Kelly M.

The miles and miles they traveled seemed unending to April.  It was only supposed to take half a day to get to Harrisburg, but it seemed so much longer.
She couldn't wait to be freed from this stuffy prison.  Thick black smoke billowed about her from the leisurely passengers cigars and her legs were cramped in the small space.  She had more problems than just that however.  She fretted about her new home and the strange school she would be attending.  She had no idea what it would be like.  What if the other students didn't like her?  What if they teased her and called her names?  
She tried to push the bothersome thoughts away, and gazed out the window.  She watched as the last bit of familiarity she had always known slip from her fingers like grains of sand.  She wanted to stop the train; to shout to the conductor to halt right there, but she knew it was already too late.  Much too late to turn back now.  Her parents were counting on her to do the best she could to fit in with their rather rapid arrangements.
A sigh escaped from her pink lips and she turned away from the window.  She didn't want to see anymore.  
She rested her head on the back of the worn, uncomfortable seat, and closed her eyes.  She wanted to get some sleep so she would have no more worrisome questions lingering in her mind and heart.  It wasn't as easy to get to sleep on a train as she had thought.  The swift turns and bumps on the train made it almost impossible.  She turned to a more comfortable spot and closed her eyes again.
Finally, she drifted into a deep slumber, but, as she slept, a startling dream came to her.  Before her was a dainty, elegant woman of about twenty-five.  She was dressed in the finest apparel, and her brown hair was piled in curls on the top of her head.  It looked like her hair would topple down at any moment.  She smelled sweetly of perfumes and was painted in makeup.  But what caught April's attention was her eyes.  They were a deep blue.  They were such enchanting eyes.  Then April was startled when she realized that this wealthy young lady was herself!
She also realized the setting was her home!  Her dear home in North Carolina.  But it wasn't the same.  The little brick home was beaten and worn from the weather and her beautiful white daisies in the meadow had vanished.
The wealthy lady muttered to herself, "I left Harrisburg for this?  How did I live before?" And with that, the wealthy woman vanished, and April awoke from her dream, her heart pounding.
April glanced wildly about, wondering where she was.  Then she was reminded that she was on a train headed for Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  She also remembered what she was leaving behind.  She buried her face in her arms.  This couldn't be happening to her.  She told herself over and over again that she wouldn't allow herself to change.  She would still be the same.  She would still love her dear home, and she would keep her promise to return.  It was all just a big nightmare.


© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
I know this is a very short chapter. I wish it could be longer, but I hope you enjoy it anyway! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

short chapters are not a problem. when i write a noval the first 4 chapters are usally fairly short usally around 2 A4 pages long somtimes only 1 (although after that they jump to about 10 or 20 A4 pages). if you do wish to make it longer however why not add some more elements to the nightmare? perhaps April could look around for Drew and Jenny and find them missing... or somthing. good chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awe so sad I feel the same way and probably will again when college arrives. What a sad chapter. Hope these chapter get a little more cheery soon. I enjoyed this chapter lengthy or not because really how you write it rather then how long you write and you wrote it very well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The length of this chapter isnt an issue - u had a message to convey and you did that. To have filled out this chapter with a whole lot of unnecessary words, it would have taken away from its impact. Perfect place to move onto the new chapter. Truly frightening to have a vision of ur future like that especially when it goes against everything you want and believe in. Reading on :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


passengers cigars - passenger's
more problems than that though-leave off though
was her eyes.=were
white daisies in the meadow were either gone or dying! - mIt has to be one or the other gone or dying.
Aw, poor april. i thinks he'd keep her promise.



Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting chapter. Really gets the mind churning. I would go ahead and read and review the next chapter, but I don't want to get halfway through and be wondering what has happened. So, I'll try to charge my laptop and get on tonight at home so I can see what's in store for April. ~Jennika

Posted 13 Years Ago


This chapter is short and sweet. Once again, you've written down the feelings of April very nicely! A natural storyteller you are indeed! I now feel that I know April like someone I've known all along. Nice work!
I'm glad I'm following this story. I just can't wait to know what happens next!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Once again I agree with Olivia Smith. I couldn't have put it any better myself!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Shortness doesn't matter, darling. As I always say, it's the quality, not the quantity. And this chapter surely does have quality. Once in a while you come across a story that really has some major life lessons built into them. This, obviously, is one of them. "She couldn't allow herself to change; she'd still be the same person". Absolutely life-changing line. Makes me thankful for not having to move away from my life.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very cool! I can just imagine falling deep into sleep, then waking to your new house! It would be startling.
I know the feeling, often things like that happen, where you just wish it was a dream. But no matter how many times you pinch yourself, you can't wake up.
It was very well done, lots of rich descriptions, and in this chapter... I think we're connected with your characters more.
For example when she was upset about moving to Carolina, I felt it. So good on you!
Wonderful chapter, you truly have a gift for writing.
100/100

Posted 13 Years Ago


So, I've read all the chapters that I've missed. This story is very lyrical and melodic, I love reading it! It gives me a calming feeling. I am really looking forward to reading all the other chapters you write. Good job:)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

592 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2011
Last Updated on December 4, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


3) A Promise 3) A Promise

A Chapter by Kelly M.


1) Dreams 1) Dreams

A Chapter by Kelly M.