I'm sorry

I'm sorry

A Poem by Diving underwater for Air

“I’m sorry”

It rolled off his tongue like a well-known Shakespeare quote, soft and sweet but unlike “to thine own self-be true” this had no meaning or thought behind it.

He had spent so much of his life apologising it was becoming his favourite past time, and I for one was becoming immune to the simplistic sentence that used to melt my heart and make everything forgiven.

“I’m sorry I made you cry”

It’s alright, I’m fine

stab

 “I’m sorry I made you cry again”

This time hurt but it’s okay it’s not your fault

stab

“I’m sorry I made you cry this time”

This time, exactly always, this time, what about next time or the time after that, then are you sorry?

stab

Sometimes people say sorry and fix what they have broken or, even mend the thing that they did wrong but not him, he used the word as a ‘get out of jail card’ as if our relationship was a game of monopoly, that when you messed up, you just waited for your next roll of the dice.

Now and again you have to put your feelings first and not let others dictate your choices, you have to stand up, so I finally, I mean I was ready to start the inevitable conversation, so I guess it was ironic that when I held his now lifeless and cold body next to mine the only words that could escape my mouth were …

 “I’m sorry”. 

© 2016 Diving underwater for Air


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Filled with raw emotions it take a strong person to look at a relationship so objectively to say what need to be said. :) Larry

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diving underwater for Air

8 Years Ago

thank you it means a lot xoxo

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
1 Review
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 5, 2016
Tags: love, imsorry, murder

Author

Diving underwater for Air
Diving underwater for Air

Birmingham , United Kingdom



About
So you may be thinking why “diving underwater for air” well, one of my inspirations, Beau Taplin once wrote, “settling for something that does not make you happy is like divin.. more..

Writing