Drowning

Drowning

A Story by Jeanette Rice

The warm, salty air blew Isabel's wispy brown hair into her face. One of the warm hands on her waist moved to tuck the hair behind her ears. Isabel smiled nervously at the boy, who smiled back unenthusiastically. He'd been in deep thought all day. He went straight back to frowning at her, and was lost in his own thoughts. Isabel sighed forlornly. She wished things weren't like this between them. She was keeping her own secrets, but she was too afraid to let anyone know. She already felt a hard lump forming in her throat. She pushed her thoughts away from the memory. She didn't want to cry now, not in front of him. The boy leaned in as if he was going to kiss her, and she bit her lip nervously. Isabel leaned forward very slightly to reciprocate the gesture, but the boy's face turned angry and harsh. His teeth gritted fiercely, and his hands gripped her sides so hard it hurt. She cried out in shock, and the once friendly hands shoved her roughly from the pier into the water below.

The waves crashed over her angrily, bringing her down. Her arms flailed uselessly about her, trying to somehow get her above the water. She struggled to no avail. The weight of her body and clothes was simply too much for her to pull up. She had never been a good swimmer, and now she was going to pay for it with her life. Panic rose in her as she gulped for air and found nothing but salty water. Why had he pushed her? Did he find out something? It didn't matter now, she was going to die. Her lungs burned, begging her to fill them with the air that was just out of reach. She kicked and squirmed, but every motion she made only seemed to bring her deeper. She wanted to scream, anything to let someone know she was there. It was too late. There was no strength left in her. Her arms went limp as her mind panicked. Slowly, the hurt was fading which only scared her more. The world slowly faded into black as her consciousness slipped away.


Her eyes opened wide as she choked on the invisible water. She gasped for air and screamed. It took her a moment to realize she wasn't drowning, and she was safe in her bed at home.


“Isabel, are you okay? What’s the matter?” Her mother ran into the room, her short, dark hair and floral night gown flying wildly about her.


“Yeah, Mom, just that nightmare again.” She felt so silly for screaming. She played with the corner of her blanket, trying to distract herself from thinking about it.


“Now don’t you worry, Kyle is locked up far away from here. You’re safe now, he’ll never hurt you again.” Her mother's voice was concerned, but firm. She must be sick of this by now, it was the third time this week I'd woken her up by screaming.


“I know, Mom. I’m fine, really.” Isabel smiled weakly.


Her mother, unsure, finally left. Isabel sighed as she noticed the door had been left ajar, and got up to close it. After she had turned off all the lights, she finally snuggled back into bed. An arm wrapped around her neck and a hand clamped over her mouth so she couldn’t scream.


“Remember me?”

Isabel felt hot breath passing over her ear, and struggled to break free of the grip, so she could cry for help.


“Oh, come on now. Didn’t you miss me? I don’t want to hurt you more than necessary.” The familiar voice chilled her. Fear flooded her mind and clouded her ability to think.


Isabel bit down hard on the hand covering her mouth. Her eyes watered. The hand was solid through, like metal.


“Did you really forget, Isabel?” I lost this hand for you.”


Isabel shook and sobbed silently, unsure of what she could do. “I’m really going to die this time, aren’t I?” she thought.


“Aw, Babe, that happy to see me? I hear you dream about me all the time.” Kyle cackled loudly, and they saw lights switch on in the hall.


Suddenly, Isabel felt cold metal at her back, before she could even begin to hope to be safe.


“Pick up the book, and tell her you read something funny.”


The sharp point jabbed into her back, and she quickly complied. This time, her mother remained at the door.


“Isabel, is everything alright?”


“Yeah, Mom, just read something funny.”


“Are you sure you’re okay?”


She felt the tip of the knife prick her skin, to remind her what to say.


“Yeah, I’m sure.” Isabel’s voice broke, but her mother still walked off. She sighed loudly, relieved that Kyle wouldn’t stab her just yet, but she was still terrified.


“You’ve grown quite a bit, huh? It’s already been two years,” Kyle grinned, “You’re 18 now, right? Sorry I never picked up a present for you, but what I’m planning should make up for it. You ever pick up anything for me, Isabel?”


A moment of silence passed, and she felt the knife at her back again.


“Answer me.” Kyle gritted his teeth, just the way he did when he had pushed her.


“N…no,” Isabel stuttered, ” I…I don’t have ah…anything for you.”


She felt a hand reach over and brush her hair back behind her ear.


“I’m free now, Isabel. Released. Means I can go and do whatever I want now. Got let out on good behavior, just for you.” Kyle winked at her, and continued, “You ever end up dating anyone else, Isabel?” He sounded a bit sad, which puzzled her.


“No…I thought you hated me…why are you here?” She gulped loudly, hoping he wouldn’t get angry again.


“Good. Never hated you, Isabel. I was gonna do something special for us tonight.” He grinned deviously at her. “I wish you hadn't done that to me, Isabel. That was real low. I don't think you'll be doing something like that to me again. I gave up so much for you, and you repaid me with betrayal. But here I am, being ever so kind to you anyway. Aren't I such a good guy?” His grin turned into a snarl, and he glared at her. If looks could kill...

The pressure of the knife on her back increased, and he backhanded her with his prosthetic hand. She bit down on her lip to keep from crying out and angering him further. But she was still fixed on his words. “Never hated me? Betrayal?” she thought. Suddenly, she realized he must have heard, despite all her best efforts to keep him out of it.


“You nearly drowned me because of Stephen, didn’t you? Yeah, sure, he bragged to everyone about what happened, how he stole me right from under you. I didn’t want to tell you what really happened, Kyle. I’d rather you believe I cheated on you rather than having to tell anyone. Stephen raped me.” Instead of fear, Isabel now shook with rage and hurt. “Every time he’d take me and go off to the same place, he’d say my name once, and throw me into the wall and have his way with me. I never wanted to tell you, Kyle.” Fresh tears spilled from her eyes. She never imagined having to have this conversation with him, let alone in the middle of the night with a knife at her back.


Kyle was enraged. He slid the knife back into its sheath, clenching his fists. He was unsure if he should believe her, but she never lied to him in the past. And he would much rather believe that she had been raped rather than cheating on him. Plus, he knew her. Despite Stephen being his (ex) best friend, he knew Isabel wouldn't make up something like this.


“He what?” Kyle spat harshly.


“He. Raped. Me.” Isabel was stone cold, no longer shaking or crying. The terror of the memory was just too much to let her even react.


“How many times?” Kyle’s voice was straining to keep the anger out of it.


“Thirty-seven.”


Kyle slammed his fist into the wall, leaving a large hole. They both heard the footsteps running down the hall.


“Isabel? Isabel!” they heard her mother scream as she came crashing through the door.


Kyle had slipped back under the bed where he had first been hidden. The lights flashed on, and Isabel did her best to lean in front on the hole in her wall.


“What’s going on, are you alright?”


“I just banged my head, Mom. I’ll try and stop making so much noise, sorry.” She couldn’t believe she was actually covering for Kyle.


Her mother looked unsure, but slowly turned the lights off again.


“Do you need any ice? That seemed like a pretty loud bang…”


“No, Mom. I’m fine.”


Her mother still seemed nervous, but closed the door and went back to her room. Kyle slowly got up and sat on the bed next to Isabel. He said quietly,


“So I tried to drown you because you were raped, and didn’t want to tell me?” He dropped the sheathed knife onto the the ground. He couldn't use it anymore, not after knowing what happened.


“Yes.” Isabel's voice wavered. She was still so afraid of him.


“C…can you ever forgive me?” Kyle’s voice was strangled, and this decision either way would break Isabel.


“Did it sound like I could?” Isabel swallowed loudly, unable to get rid of the lump in her throat.


Kyle wrapped his arms around her tightly, pulling her into his chest.


“I’m sorry,” he murmured, repeating himself over and over almost inaudibly.


Isabel didn’t react at all. Soon, she felt wet splotches on her hair. Kyle’s temper was always getting the better of him, and he never recognized the consequences. He’s arrogant and headstrong, but at the same time…


“I missed you.”


Kyle’s grip on Isabel tightened. “I missed you too. I did. I’m sorry.”


“I have more to say.” She swallowed hard again, and continued.


“You tried to drown me, Kyle.”


“I know,” he whispered.


“Can I trust you again?”


“Yes, I’m sorry.” Kyle’s voice cracked.


“Then why did you really come tonight?”


“Do you remember the promise I made you?”


Isabel almost laughed. “Which one?”


“That when you turned 18, I’d take you away to your favorite place.”


She froze. He had come to force her with him whether she wanted to go or not. Even though it was a trip she had wanted to make more than any other, she knew now she couldn’t trust him again.


Kyle spoke up again. ”I thought maybe you’d take me back then, if I could take you there. I’m sorry.”


“You’d have made me take you back, or die.” Her voice cracked on the last word. She couldn't believe the person she had once loved and trusted with all her heart wanted her dead.


“No, not this time, I swear. I just needed a way to persuade you to come with me. After that, it’s all up to you.” Kyle's voice was hoarse. It sounded like he was fighting back more tears.


“If hadn’t told you what I did, you’d have killed me.” No, he wouldn't. Oh, stop it, Isabel, you have proof he would! He tried to drown you. He came here with a knife in the middle of the night. What else could it be? But he dropped it...and he was crying right in front of me because of all this.


“No! I was so angry, so betrayed that I thought you had cheated on me, with my best friend, nonetheless! But that doesn’t mean for a single second that I didn’t love you. You know how stupid I can be, please, Isabel.” Kyle's voice caught, and his defense against the sobs he was holding in was weakening. Isabel's heart fluttered. He still loves me? No, no, no! You can't trust him again. Never. Not after all that has happened.


“There’s a fine line between 'being stupid' and trying to drown someone, Kyle! How can I trust you won’t just 'be stupid' again? Especially if you can’t even trust me!” She shoved him away from her. She wasn't going to have this. She knew she couldn't trust him, so her mind was made up. There was no two ways about it.


“Isabel, please. Just give me one last chance. If I f**k up again, sure, go. But please, just let me have one more chance.” He grabbed both her hands, his voice strained as he pleaded with her. A small sob escaped his lips. It was heartbreaking for Isabel to watch. She still loved him, she knew she did. But she had to be strong. She couldn't be with someone who had tried to kill her.


“I used to trust you with my life, Kyle. I can’t even trust you aren’t going to kill me right now.” She pulled her hands away from him. She shouldn't even be afraid that he'd kill her. It's not like she hadn't been miserable for the past three years anyway, but she couldn't stop herself from shying at the thought.


“I came back all the way to this s**t hole to get you out of here, Isabel. Not to kill you.” Kyle's voice was moving from sorrowful to angry yet again. She hated to watch this, but now she was even more afraid.


“I just don’t know, Kyle.” She pushed away the fear. There was no reason to be afraid if you have nothing to lose.


“Look, I said I was going to leave with you tonight, and I am, whether you like it or not.” He scooped her up and put his hand over her mouth again, even though she made no attempt to alert anyone. Isabel had simply given up. She decided it didn't matter what happened to her anymore. Her body hadn't been hers in over three years.


He slid out onto the balcony below, and dropped down the make shift rope he had built to get up to her room. He knew by forcing her out he wasn’t helping his chances, but he couldn’t think of anything else to do. He couldn’t leave without her. Those two years in prison were miserable. To think he had tried to kill her! He needed her, and he forgot that in a few crucial moments.


This time, he knew exactly who needed to die.

© 2011 Jeanette Rice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this story so much! Its incredible and kept me interested the whole way through! Great job! keep writting

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on August 21, 2011

Author

Jeanette Rice
Jeanette Rice

GA



About
I am a 17 year old writer who goes by the pen name of Jeanette Rice. Currently I am working on a novel and a novella, the novella has less written at this point but is taking precedence. I also write .. more..

Writing