Time Lost

Time Lost

A Story by Kristin E Dashnaw


Somewhere along the way, things turned for the worst. Everyone in the town was gone. The shops and the local eateries were vacant. The doors to the municipal buildings were chained shut and the streets were devoid of life. As Molly exited her out-dated but trusty sports car, she gasped at the thought that she was all alone here. As she looked around at the semi-decayed building facades, she lost the feeling of loneliness and started to get a sense of nostalgia. Growing up in a small town herself, she knew and appreciated the history and charm that a small community had to offer. It was refreshing but desolate.
After finding a nearby parking spot in front of the Old General Store, Molly swings her car door shut and cautiously advances to investigate the old wooden establishment. From the looks of things, this place was a busy little store that has now been frozen in time and covered with dust. Peeking through the aged window she sees the store full of items. Things that had never gotten a chance to be purchased because the town was empty now.
Molly took a step back from the sun-beaten window pane and glanced throughout the rest of Main Street. Mostly shops and little "hole-in-the-wall" eateries. All being left to the elements and from time being stopped.
Not sure what to do, Molly gets back in her car and tries to think of her next plan of action. She is already late for a very important meeting in the city. But curiosity has her mind going from one thing to the next. "What happened in this town where everything was just left untouched and nobody to inhabit it?", she thought. Glancing up in her rear-view mirror she sees a steeple peeking slightly above the Main Street rooftops. No doubtably from a church. Most likely the meeting house for this small and quiet town. As she opened her door to explore, a massive gust of wind knocks her over almost back into her seat. After regaining her footing she stands to get a better look. Just as a child would attempt to cross the street, she looks both ways to make sure the coast is clear from any other surprises. On her scouting, she blindly notices a road off Main street tucked behind the vegetation that had accumulated from the neglect. It had been a while since a vehicle had passed down that roadway so getting her car down it would be a miracle in itself. Without hesitation, she takes off the heels she wore for her meeting and rummaged through her overnight bag for a pair of her sensible sneakers to make the trek a little more bearable. Her curioustity had taken over her better judgement of leaving to meet up in the city. As she approached the abundant shrubbery to pass through, she was startled by a rodent scurrying along the beaten down and old dirt from years of tire travel. After letting out a scream from being startled she regains her composure and carefully moves the forrestation to start her journey into the unknown.

© 2023 Kristin E Dashnaw


Author's Note

Kristin E Dashnaw
This is just a beginning to what could be an interesting book

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on May 19, 2023
Last Updated on May 19, 2023