July 2nd, 2040

July 2nd, 2040

A Chapter by Kaylee C.

Today started normally. Mom woke me up and got me ready for school. She worked for the governer so she was always dressed up and happy.

“Harper? Sweetie… finish your breakfast so the chauffeur can take us downtown to school.”

She smiled as she patted me on the back.

“Girls I’m leaving now. Don’t want to miss my train to the airport.”

That was dad. He worked for the navy and today they were deploying him,  so he had to take a plane down to California. He was supposed to leave for 2 weeks before they sent him back home, but sometimes that didn’t happen. The Navy would keep him for a couple more weeks sometimes months.

“Cap. do you have to go? Can’t you just stay here with me and mom?”

I begged. I didn’t want dad to go.

“Sorry sweetie. I have a duty to fulfill, you know that. We’ve explained that to you private. Now come here and give me a hug so I can catch that plane.”

He smiled, but I knew it hurt him to leave. I leaned in for the hug and he squeezed me like it might be the last time he would ever see me. He always did that, so it was normal. He kissed mom goodbye and then left and turned into the elevator.

“Now harper, Cheer up. We can go get ice cream after school, how’s that sound?

I looked up at her and grinned.

“Alright! Mmm, but only if I can get a double-scoop.”

She nodded and we headed down the elevator to meet up with Stanley. Stanley was our chauffeur.

“Morning ladies. Ms. Harper, you look lovely this morning.”

He smiled and then laughed.

“Oh Stanley, I wear this every day. It is a uniform after all.”

I went to a private school in downtown Detroit.  We drove to school and stopped right in front of the front courtyard.

“Alright, here you are ladies.”

“Thanks, Stan.”

I smiled as I got out of the car with mom right behind me.

“Be good Harper okay?”

“I know, don’t forget about the ice cream.”

“I won't, now hurry before you're late to school.”

I smiled and hurried towards the front door.

“Harper! Wait, I didn't get that kiss. “

I turned around but it was too late. The heat of the first bomb engulfed everything in front of me. The force of the wind pushed me back towards the building as the world fell dark.



© 2016 Kaylee C.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
Added on June 6, 2016
Last Updated on June 6, 2016


Author

Kaylee C.
Kaylee C.

Germantown, MD



About
I am a junior in high school looking to get noticed and publish my dystopian novel. more..

Writing
Mom? Mom?

A Chapter by Kaylee C.