Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by karolynn
"

This chapter talks about the morning Abby's father left.

"

            There is nothing normal about my life. My parents are still married, but my father is rarely home. In a small town like mine, people talk. Ever since I can remember, I’ve heard rumours going around about my parents. The townspeople suspect one of two things: that my father is having an affair, or that he is living a double life and has a family elsewhere. My mother refuses to believe this. The amount of faith she has in her absentee husband amazes me. If I were in her shoes, I wouldn’t trust him. Then again, I’ve never had a great relationship with my father to begin with.


            The first time Dad left, I was five years old. I remember it clearly because it was my very first day of school. He drove me there in his rusty blue GMC truck. As we rolled along the roads, I had a feeling something was wrong because he couldn’t look me in the eye.


            “So, um, are you nervous?” he asked, eyes focused on the asphalt path in front of him.


            I had gone to daycare before starting school, so I was used to being away from home. Glancing over at him, I replied, “No, not really.”


            The conversation came to a rapid close as we reached our destination. Standing outside Campbell Falls Elementary School was the first time that I ever felt small. I looked up at Dad with tears in my eyes, not wanting to enter a building that looked like it could swallow me whole. “Daddy, please don’t make me go in there!” I pleaded, feeling my tears stream down my face.


            “Princess, you have to. Would it help if I went in with you?” he replied, trying to comfort me.


            Reluctantly, I placed my hand in his. I felt safe as we headed toward my classroom, locating it after a few wrong turns. A pretty, young blonde woman headed toward us as we crossed the threshold.


            “Hey there!” she said with a warm smile. “My name is Miss Gilbert, and I’m the new kindergarten teacher.” Instantly, I knew I would like her.


            “Hi. I’m James Heaton, and this is my daughter, Abby,” my father informed her.


            “Well, hello Abby, it’s nice to meet you,” she said, as she lowered herself to my level. “I’m going to need to speak with your daddy for a little bit, but feel free to play with any over the toys over there.” She pointed to the biggest pile of toys I had ever seen.


            “Thanks!” I answered, heading toward the toys.


 As I reached the doll I had been eyeing, I turned around to look at my father. He and Miss Gilbert seemed to be in deep conversation. They almost looked angry at each other. I was starting to wonder why when I heard my father raising his voice. “FINE! Can I at least say goodbye to Abby?”


He didn’t give her a chance to respond as he was headed toward me. “Sweetie, Daddy has to leave. I love you so much. Don’t ever forget that,” he said as he reached me, giving me a bear hug.


I was confused. Why did it sound like he was leaving forever? I was going to see him later. “Daddy, where are you going? When are you coming back? I’ll see you later tonight, right?”


“Bye, Princess Abby. I love you.” my dad said as he headed to the door. He glanced back at me before stepping into the hallway. I saw a tear running down his cheek. I looked away for just a second and he was gone. If I would have known that this was the last time I would see him for six months, I would have ran after him and tried to make him stay.



© 2011 karolynn


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the opening paragraph. You left me with a gist of what's going on.
Thought out the chapter you talked more about her memory.
I'd love to read more.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Added on June 25, 2011
Last Updated on June 25, 2011


Author

karolynn
karolynn

Canada



About
I've recently gotten into writing, and I'm hoping to learn more. more..

Writing