Prologue "Restless"

Prologue "Restless"

A Story by kariannrose
"

This is an introduction to my new novel "Restless".

"

I read somewhere that when one realizes that his life is worthless, he either commits suicide or travels. This was a profound epiphany for my 10 year old self, and although my adult experiences in travel are limited, this credo is one of the reasons I am still alive.

 

Luckily my childhood thoughts of self-destruction were pre-empted with thoughts of possible escape and fantastic, detailed plots of revenge. I imagined being the girl version of Grizzly Adams. I would befriend bears and mountain lions in Colorado, or smuggle myself aboard cruise ships bound for China. Even if I failed miserably in these endeavors and died, it wouldn’t matter because if I killed myself, I would die anyway. Fight like hell, or die trying. That was my motto.

 

So fight like hell I did. Not in the Rocky Mountains, or Pacific Ocean, but in the smoggy suburbs of Southern California in the 1970’s. It’s not the brave, romantic story of an orphaned heroine overcoming all odds, but the personal journey of a middle-aged woman finding joy in freedom, love in friendship, and liberation in the ability to tell the oppressors to piss-off.

 

While this story is based on real emotion and memories, it is still a work of fiction. I am creating my own ending to this story. And while we all have a story to share, it’s important that we don’t become our story. Most of us have the ability to influence our final chapter, and if we don’t take advantage of that opportunity, we only have the author to blame.

© 2011 kariannrose


Author's Note

kariannrose
This is the introduction to my novel "Restless". Would this prologue interest you enough to continue reading? Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes I would be interest in continuing to read this, it sounds like a great beginning. My wife would also like a story like this, so count this as two yes votes!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I would read your story. It sounds pretty cool :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, I would read the rest of the novel. It's great for a prologue.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2011
Last Updated on July 23, 2011

Author