Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Papers in the Air

Papers in the Air

A Chapter by Lizzy Schellenschlager
"

Voices are heard.

"

The next morning, Natalie awoke alone in the bed. She glanced at the alarm clock on the bedside table and searched the ceiling for a moment. She hated it when Chris didn’t wake her before he left for work. She sat up and stretched before sliding out of the bed with a cough. She shuffled into the bathroom and flipped on the light.

 

A black shadow raced across the mirror.

 

She glanced at the other side of the large pane of glass with a frown. She shook her head and turned towards the shower. She twisted the polished silver knob and held her hand under the water until she felt the heat she longed for.

 

Something was watching her.

 

She stood slowly, her eyes searching the porcelain tiles before her for any sign of an intruder behind her. She took a breath and turned back towards the mirror as a wave of goosebumps crept over her arms despite them being protected by her long sleeved shirt.

 

She shuddered and flipped on the radio that allowed an up-beat song dance into her heart and calm her nerves.

 

“You’re freaked out because you’re sick. You just saw a shadow, that’s all. Chris freaked you out, that’s why you thought someone was watching you.” She pulled her shirt off and stepped into the shower with a sigh. “That’s exactly what happened. You’re alone but you’re safe. There’s no such thing as ghosts or demons or anything that creeps around at night.”

 

Natalie lost herself in the happy songs as she finished showering. She stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself in the oversized towel before blow-drying her hair until it hung straight down her back.

 

She stepped out into the bedroom and looked around the disheveled room. She tilted her head with a frown as she listened carefully. She heard a man’s voice mumbling from the living room and smirked.

 

“Babe? Did you forget something?” She stepped out into the living room and searched into the kitchen for any sign of Chris. The voice was close to her. “Babe? Hello? Who’s there?”

 

She stepped into the spare bedroom Chris had converted into an office and screamed when papers were thrown into her face. When they fell to the floor, she realized the room was open. No one had snuck by her and she doubt anyone would try to sneak out of the window. It led to a 6-story fall.

 

With a shuddering breath, she ran back into the bedroom, snatched her cell phone and locked herself in the bathroom.

 

 

Chris sat back in his chair as his fingers flowed over the keyboard. The lights in his work office had been dimmed for the others to work without the glare. He grinned at the scene he typed with ease. He grumbled when his cellphone broke his train of thought and picked it up. He pressed it to his ear and resumed typing.

 

“You need to come home. Now!”

 

“Nat, what’s wrong, babe? Are you okay?” He sat up and lowered his voice to a whisper.

 

“There’s something here with me. I don’t know what it is. Just come home! Please! Just come home right now.”

 

He listened to her sob echo and felt his heart clench. “Alright, alright. Stay on the phone with me. I’ll be home in just a few minutes.” He signed out for lunch then went out to his home.

 

“It was so weird! I swear I heard you. I swear I did.”

 

“It’s gonna be okay. I’m almost home. Did you call the cops? Did someone hurt you?” Chris forced the vehicle to speed faster and glanced in the rear view mirror for any sign of a police cruiser.

 

“No, no. I didn’t see anyone!” She sniffled and heaved a breath. “There were papers everywhere and I heard you. There was someone in the bathroom with me. I swear it! Are you almost here? Where are you?”

 

“I’m just at the exit ramp. I’ll be there in just a few minutes. Keep talking to me, okay?”

 

“I want to move. I want to go house shopping this afternoon.”

 

“No, you’re overreacting. Just calm down. Everything’s gonna be okay. You’ll see.” He wove his car through gaps in traffic until he pulled onto his street and into the apartment complex. “I just parked. I’ll be up in a minute.”

 

He ran up the stairs and slowly opened the door. He took up the aluminum baseball bat from behind the door and proceeded through the apartment, carefully searching for an intruder. When he found none, he went to the bathroom and knocked on the door. He heard Natalie’s shuddering gasp and licked his dry lips. “It’s just me, Nat. Open up.”

 

The door swung open and she flung her arms around his waist, pulling him close to her.

 

“You’re safe.” He held her close and allowed her to walk him through the events of the morning.



© 2011 Lizzy Schellenschlager


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on September 17, 2011
Last Updated on September 17, 2011


Author

Lizzy Schellenschlager
Lizzy Schellenschlager

About
I am a slightly neurotic and paranoid workaholic and perfectionist. I constantly overthink things and get so lost in writing that I've become a recluse. I like potatoes. more..

Writing