Sickness, Fights and Horror Movies

Sickness, Fights and Horror Movies

A Chapter by Lizzy Schellenschlager

A biting chill whistled through the trees and stung Chris’ cheek as he raised the camera to his eye to capture the dying sun glinting off of the Golden Gate Bridge. He lowered it down to rest against his chest as he watched the full moon perched in a bed of deep blue satin and sighed. He turned on the age-beaten concrete pier and tapped a finger on his camera as he walked. His blue-gray eyes watched the tourists posing for pictures, the children playing on the beach and in the water while picnickers in the field lazed in the sun. He felt their desire to have that day linger on for eternity.

 

His reverie was broken by the ringing of his cell phone tucked into the front pocket of his jeans. He pulled it out and pressed it to his ear. “Hello, my love.”

 

“Hey, hon.” His girlfriend, Natalie’s voice was duller than normal.

 

“What’s the matter?” He tucked his hand into his pocket as he walked back to his Nissan Versa and slipped behind the wheel. He left the door open to allow the breeze comb through his dusty blonde hair.

 

“I just wanted to call…” a cough that hurt his chest and burned his throat to hear interrupted her. “I went home early.”

 

“Baby, that sounds terrible. Did you get some medicine?” He listened to her hacking cough with a wince. “Hey, just breathe. I’ll come home right now. I’ll stop at the store and we can have some tomato soup and grilled cheese with chicken and have movie night. How does that sound?”

 

“No. You don’t need to do that for me. You’re going out with Tony tonight. You never get to see each other anymore, especially after that fight. I’d hate to ruin the night for you two.” She sniffled and yawned. “Go have fun with him. You can tell me all about it tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know where I was is all.”

 

“He’s in town for the week. He’ll understand. I’ll see you soon. Love you.” He ended the call before she could refuse him again and started the vehicle up. He backed out and turned on to the 101 freeway. He checked his mirrors for officers then took his phone up again. He dialed Tony’s number and hit the speaker button.

 

“Hey, what kinda beer do you want? I can’t remember if you’re a Bud or Coors man.”

 

“Don’t bother. I got called away.” He glanced in his mirrors again. “Nat’s sick. We’ll have to get together again another time.”

 

“You’re ditching me, your own brother, for a chick? Are you kidding me?”

 

“Sorry to cancel last minute, man. But you didn’t exactly make it hard for me to choose her over you anyway.” Chris tapped his thumb on the steering wheel and set the phone on his thigh when he spied a police cruiser on his side. “Look, I have to go. I’ll catch you later.”

 

He ended the call and focused on the road, careful to not look to the officers once their cruiser pulled up next to him. He felt their eyes on him. The palms of his hands grew slick and cool against the steering wheel as his breath got caught in his throat.

 

 

He opened the door and stepped into the darkened apartment. He listened carefully as he walked into the kitchen. He turned on the light and set the bags down on the counter before finding his way down the hall.

 

“Natalie?” He opened the door to their bedroom and looked in on her lying on the bed, curled beneath a mound of thick blankets. “There you are, my love. I brought you a happy sauce known as NyQuil. It tastes like death but it will put you in a coma that’ll last until you’re better again. That sounds pretty awesome, doesn’t it?”

 

She smiled weakly at him as he sat down beside her, stroking her light brown hair from her brow. “You didn’t have to come home for me. Now I feel bad.”

 

“Don’t.” He smiled kindly down at her and burned his lips on her temple. “Here, take this. I’ll go get dinner going. I’ll bring it in here and you can choose a movie. Okay?”

 

“Alright.” She moved to sit up as he handed her the dark green bottle then vanished from the room and into the kitchen.

 

The soup was easy enough �" simply heat. The sandwiches took him more time to prepare. He carved the rotisserie chicken and listened to the shuffle behind him. A moment later, hands wrapped around his waist and a head rested against his shoulder.

 

“You should be in bed getting better.” He eased the sandwiches into the hot skillet and held one of her hands in his own. “I’ll only be a few minutes more. Is the medicine helping any?”

 

“My throat doesn’t hurt so bad anymore.”

 

“That’s good. Here, I made you some tea.” He picked up a mug and eased out of her embrace to turn and hand it to her. “My mom used to make this for me when I was a kid. This should help make you feel a little better. There’s ginger, lemon and honey in it.”

 

“Thanks, sweetie.” He watched her grin and carefully sip the hot liquid. She grinned up at him and held the mug in both hands. “What movies did you rent?”

 

“I, uh, I can’t remember all of them. They’re over on the table though.” He glanced over to watch her walk to the kitchen table before flipping the sandwiches. He pressed them down, happy with the fact he had yet to burn them. He looked over with a smile when she giggled. “What?”

 

“These are all horror movies, babe. Is that why you got the NyQuil? So I can sleep through nightmares?”

 

“They’re not all horror movies. There’s one in there that’s a war movie.”

 

“It’s a movie about a war between aliens and humans!” She laughed and went back to him. He moved the sandwiches onto the plates waiting on the lap tray.

 

“Well, I’m here to protect you. Come on, let’s go eat.” He nudged her carefully with his elbow. He nodded to the hallway as she took up the movies and followed him into their bedroom. She climbed up on to the bed and pulled the covers over her. He set the tray between them and took the movies for her. “This one isn’t so bad. I think you’ll like it. They’re aliens, but they’re robotic so it’s not so scary.”

 

“Alright.” He watched her sit back as he put the movie on. They settled back against the richly stuffed pillows and took up their meal.



© 2011 Lizzy Schellenschlager


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on September 17, 2011
Last Updated on September 17, 2011


Author

Lizzy Schellenschlager
Lizzy Schellenschlager

About
I am a slightly neurotic and paranoid workaholic and perfectionist. I constantly overthink things and get so lost in writing that I've become a recluse. I like potatoes. more..

Writing