Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Nightmares

Nightmares

A Chapter by Lizzy Schellenschlager
"

A sleep study and a realization.

"

Josh tried to keep the comforter around him even as Rafe tugged on it. Ileana sighed and caught Josh’s eyes before taking the blanket in her hands. “What is this? A security blanket or something? It smells like… dog.”

 

“Moose used it last night.” She cupped Josh’s chin in her hand to ensure he paid attention to her. “This has to come off now, Josh. I’ll get you a nice clean one instead. Okay?”

 

She took the comforter and handed it to Rafe before urging Josh to lie back with her hands on his shoulders. She smoothed his curls back from his brow with a tender smile as she kept a hand on his shoulder while pulling the sheets over him. “Just stay calm. Okay? Everything’s alright. I know this is odd but it’s just for tonight, hopefully. Relax. You’re safe.”

 

“Are you sure this is gonna work, doc?” Rafe watched Josh struggle against Ileana.

 

“Not tired! Not tired! Not tired, Ana! Not tired!” He pouted his lip and tried to sit up, holding her arms to push her away from him. “Please? Not tired.”

 

“Yes, you are, sweetheart. You are very tired. Lie back, okay? I’ll stay with you until you’re sleeping.” She urged him back again and felt his body resign to her command. She licked her lips and sat on the bed beside him as Rafe began applying the sensors to Josh’s scalp, temples, chest and legs with a mild adhesive. Josh whimpered and pulled away every time a sensor was placed. “These won’t hurt you. Leave them be.”

 

“We’re ready, doc.” Rafe glanced up at Ileana as he placed a small clip on one of Josh’s fingers.

 

“Okay. I’ll just be a few minutes. I’ll see you on the other side.” She listened to Rafe’s retreating footsteps and the door close softly behind him. “Leave these alone. Understand?”

 

“Leave lone.” Josh sighed and frowned as he looked away from her.

 

“We need to do this to understand why you can’t sleep at night. We’re just going to watch you.” She took his hand in hers and rubbed her thumb against his temple. Slowly, his eyes began to droop. They finally settled shut as he yawned deeply. She lowered her voice and softened her touch. “Good night, sweetheart.”

 

She lingered a few minutes more, moving her hand down to his chest to feel his deep, even breathing and then stood slowly, assured he was sleeping. She adjusted the blankets around his shoulders then left the room. She slipped into the observation area and took a seat next to Rafe that already had a steam mug of coffee waiting for her on the table. “Alright. How are we looking?”

 

“So far so good. Heart rate’s normal, breathing is good. Muscle activity is slowing and there’s slight movement of the eyes. He’s in stage one.” Rafe looked from the monitors to the infrared camera images of Josh’s room. “Oops, spoke too soon. Myoclonic jerk.”

 

The two observed Josh bolt upright and pull the blanket around his shoulders with a whimper. He slipped out of the bed and made his way to the door and tried to open it. With a sinking heart, Ileana saw him struggle and slam the door, eager to get out. She bit her lip as he dropped his head to rest against the door with a cry. “I’ll go get him settled again. I’ll stay until he’s entered stage two this time. I don’t want to give him any medication at this point.”

 

“Alright, boss.” Rafe glanced over at her as she took a sip of the coffee and went back to Josh.

 

“Hey, it’s okay. You’re alright.” Ileana allowed Josh to wrap her in a hug, bringing the blanket around her as he cradled her close to him. “You’re safe. Come back to bed and get some sleep.”

 

She guided Josh back to the bed and smiled as they locked eyes. She stoked her knuckles gently down the curve of his cheekbone until his eyes drifted shut. She lingered and held his hand in hers until Rafe cleared his throat from the threshold of the door. She stood slowly and left the room. She sank into her chair and watched the monitors.

 

“I think I know why he can’t sleep at night.” Rafe looked over at Ileana before immediately going back to the screens. “We found him and his clan in a cave. They had a fire pit. They were there at night. He lost his life at night. He lost all of his loved ones at night. Now, he has you and he has his life back. Either, he’s afraid it’ll happen again or he’s reliving the fear. That could be why he has the blanket. He feels safe in the warmth of it. He feels safest with you. Without you and the blanket and he’s on his own with no one to back in up in an alien world.”

 

“Then what do I do?” She sighed and frowned at the picture of Josh sleeping while Rafe shook his head. She took a sip of coffee and swallowed the bitter liquid hard. “I need to show him that he’s strong on his own. That he doesn’t need me.”

 

“But he does.” Rafe looked over at her with a smile. “He loves you.”

 

“He doesn’t know what that is.” She shook her head and took another sip of coffee.

 

“That’s why it’s love. He doesn’t need to know about romance and Valentine’s Day and society’s expectation for a couple to eventually marry. He knows that he needs you, he knows you won’t hurt him and he knows that you’ll always be there for him and you’ll usually always be kind to him.”

 

Ileana looked back to Rafe with sad eyes.



© 2011 Lizzy Schellenschlager


Author's Note

Lizzy Schellenschlager
This is where I get stuck. I know it should be drama but everyone else that read it said it should be a romantic comedy. But then there's the whole original reason he was brought back. I should stick with my gut, right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on September 17, 2011
Last Updated on September 17, 2011


Author

Lizzy Schellenschlager
Lizzy Schellenschlager

About
I am a slightly neurotic and paranoid workaholic and perfectionist. I constantly overthink things and get so lost in writing that I've become a recluse. I like potatoes. more..

Writing