The End

The End

A Story by Diana Montoya
"

Sometimes, we just have to accept it's over

"

She sat on the bench, her hands buried in the pockets of her jacket, trying to keep away the cold. Her eyes searched the park for any sign, but thre was none. The white snow was untouched except for her footprints, and in the clear air there was no sigh of anyone making it's way towards her.  


She was sore from sitting on a cold bench for so long, and the wind bit her face but she didn't give up.  She still held hope that he would come. That despite everything that had happened, he would still care about her as much as she cared about him.


Her friends thought her stupid and naive to think that they still had a chance. But they didn't know everything that they shared; their conversations, their laughs, the honesty that they shared. She knew that he wouldn't lie, that he loved her.


Her blind trust in him brought her where she was now, sitting on a cold bench. She held on to his promise with all her strength, knowing he wouldn't disappoint her.  He wasn't like that.  He never was. After all she had given him a year and a half of her life; she knew him well enough to know that he didn't lie like that. 


Her phone vibrated in her pocket, and for a split second she thought it could be him. However, her hopes fell to the floor when she noticed her best friend's name flashing on the screen. With a sigh, she returned the phone to her pocket unanswered. 


No one knew where she went. She knew they would try to stop her, and she didn't want to deal with that. They just didn't understand that this was something she had to do. She could practically hear her best friend telling her how stupid it was for her to sit out in the cold for a guy. And to top it off, a guy that had broken up with her. 


Her breath was visible in the cold air, just like it was the day it all ended.He had taken her to the cafe where they met in the middle of the summer. He was uncharacteristically serious and cold towards her. His strange attitude worried her, but the last thing she expected was for him to end it. 


His eyes were filled with sadness as he looked at her, but he was unable to hold her gaze for long. He had stared at  his coffee most of the time he explained his reasons to her.  He was moving soon. He would be leaving for who knows how long, and probably wouldn't be able to return. 


He shook his head when she had proposed a long distance relationship. He refused to tie her down like that. He knew that he wouldn't be able to give her everything he wanted, everything she deserved to have. 


"It's better this way," he had said, and with one last, short, sweet kiss, he left her. 

She never thought she would cry over a guy, but she couldn't stop the tears from falling. She walked back home that day with her arms wrapped around her stomach, trying to get rid of the empty feeling that filled her. 


It was the next night that she decided to send him a message. She wasn't about to quit on him so easily. She left him a voice mail telling him that she loved him and didn't want to say goodbye. She told him to meet her at the park where they first started dating so they could work something out and she reminded him of his promise, hoping that would make him come. 


Not once had she contemplated the possibility that he wouldn't arrive. But now she started doubting herself. What if he didn't come? She was sure that he would. Hadn't he said that he would never give her up? That she was stuck with him for a long time? Those were much more then empty words, so where was he now? 


Glancing up at the sky, she noticed that the light of the day was almost gone, the streetlights already starting to turn on. If he didn't come soon she would have to go home. Why didn't he come? She wrapped her jacket tighter around herself when she started to shiver, remembering how warm his arms were when he hugged her. 

Just a little longer she kept telling herself, the faith that he would come now fading. Just a few more minutes. However, five minutes turned into twenty and then forty, and he still hadn't come. Each minute was eternal, but she didn't leave, hoping that he would arrive soon enough. 


When the church bells sounded announcing the seven o'clock ceremony, she realized that he wouldn't come. She told him to meet her at five. If he were coming, he wouldn't have kept her waiting for so long. 


Tears started falling down her face and she didn't bother to stop them. Her hand held tightly the heart necklace that he had gotten her, holding on to the last thing that connected her to him. Burring her head in her hands, still holding the necklace, she allowed herself to cry for a couple of minutes.

 

No matter what, I'll make sure you are happy. The words that he had promised her over and over again rang in her head. She wasn't happy. Where was he? Why wasn't he keeping this promise like he kept all the others? Why did he give up on what they had? Why...? Why...? Why...? 


Her shoulders shook as she let all the pain and betrayal she was feeling wash over her. A part of her was angry with him for not coming, for giving up;  while another still believed that he still cared, that he wanted to come but something came up and he couldn't. 


After she maneged to stop the tears, she wiped her eyes and stood up. She had to accept that this was the end. She had to move on. Though she might not be able to love some one as she loved him, she would be happy. It was what he would want. Her world couldn't end with one guy. Hadn't she always said that she would never depend on anyone? Now was the time to prove her words. She would move on, but she would never forget him.


With those thoughts she headed out of the park and into the cold night with a sad heart. 



The park was quiet and still. The moonlight gave the snow a blueish glow, smooth and untouched except for where the girl had walked and one other place. A cold wind ruffled the leaves of the trees and made the swings move slightly back and forth. 


Hidden in the shadows of the trees, a person stood. He had arrived before the girl, and did nothing but watch her while she sat there and waited. A million emotions ran through his eyes, and his body visibly tensed when the girl started to cry.

 

However he never moved; though he wanted to. That night would be one he would always regret. During most of the night, he had to fight back tears that threatened to slip out of his eyes. He wouldn't allow himself to cry. Not again. 


He watched her walk away with a pained face. This was the day he wished never came. She didn't deserve to feel that pain. For so long he had watched her. He would give anything to see her replace her tears with smiles. Why did the honest ones have to feel such pain? Not anyone would love with all her heart like she did; otherwise she wouldn't have waited for so long. 


Once she was almost out of the park he spoke three words into the cold wind, and then turned and stalked off, hands in his pockets and head low. 


"I love you"

© 2012 Diana Montoya


Author's Note

Diana Montoya
Though it's very short, it has a deep personal meaning to me. I have never been in love, nor felt very strongly for someone, so the feelings are based on other experiences.
Point out flaws if you wish, but I won't change this text.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews



Those three little words are so easy to say.
They are cheap too. Cost nothing.
Remember, it takes a REAL man to mean them.

Posted 12 Years Ago


awesome job! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, pretty emotional. pretty good piece. not a genre i'm huge on but i can appreciete this is seriously good.
"Her eyes searched the park for a sign of a person" just sounds a bit weird and would be better as "her eyes searched the park for any sign, but there was none"
"And in the cold air there was no sigh of anyone making it's way towards her like she wished he would." to "there was no one making their way towards her"

Posted 12 Years Ago


This tore and touched my heart. A deep, genuine write. This is one of the few pieces I've read that made me feel down and up. So real, so genuine. Despite the fact that this was written in a really simple manner, this is just too powerful. The emotions flow deeply in each text. Very great read!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very emotionally packed piece - and one I feel one to many shared memories with. I give him credit for standing in the snow sharing at least that much pain with her - but I have him as I hate all men who promise forever and never to hurt you, only to prove at the end of it all how easily they can let go and turn everything you had into a lie.

That ramble aside, really good write :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh my god I think I forgot how to breathe.

Posted 12 Years Ago


deep, intriguing write. Like the imagery and detail. Nicely written.
this touched my heart.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2012
Last Updated on January 19, 2012
Tags: snow, goodbye, wait, cold, break-up, park

Author

Diana Montoya
Diana Montoya

Colombia



About
Diana was born in Medellín, Colombia, moved to the USA when she was three and went back to her home land when she was nine. Being lucky enough to be bilingual at a young age, her life allow.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


WhiTe NoiSe WhiTe NoiSe

A Poem by Muse


Broken Broken

A Chapter by samantha munning