the oz

the oz

A Chapter by John A. Hill

Anne

Anne had never seen me in anything but my ratty jeans, old converse and an oversized hoody sweatshirt. But I needed her to see me for me, not the me I showed the world.

I sat down roughly on my leather couch and laid my head back, putting my hands over my face.

"Blah!" I said to myself, "There’s no way I’m going to be able to do this."

And not to my surprise, my phone rang. I reached into the pocket of my old sweats I was still wearing and looked who was calling. Not that I needed too, it was almost three.

"Hi Anna." I said knowing my voice sounded off.

"Hey Pip, I’m on my way. My navigator says I’m twenty minutes away."

"Okay."

"Are you okay?"

My voice did sound off. Great, it wasn’t like I needed anymore anxiety for this afternoon, "Yeah, I’m okay. I’m still a little nervous about having you over, that’s all. Don’t worry about it. I’m just being silly over nothing. Hey, when you get here you might think you’re in the wrong place, but just look for my truck. It will be parked out front."

"Okay, I’ll see you in a bit."

With that, Anne hung up. With butterflies in my stomach I got up and headed up stairs to get dressed. I pulled my shirt off as I walked into my closet and dropped it on the floor, kicked my sweats off and looked at all the clothes hanging up. I frowned wondering what I should wear; I didn’t want to look too eager with something too fancy. But on the other hand, I didn’t want to do the T-shirt and jeans look that Anne was so used too.

I liked Anne, I considered her my very best friend. My only friend.

I chuckled to myself at the pitifulness that was my life. I knew she liked me, as a friend that is. But there had to be something more. She would hold a gaze a second longer then would be considered normal; I could only guess what someone would consider normal when it came to Anne. When I would catch her

looking at me she would smile and go back to whatever she had been doing. Plus, she never talked about boys she liked. That had to mean something right?

"I don’t know." I said to myself reaching out and grabbing a dress off its hanger a little too roughly. I grabbed a floor length rouched sleeved maxi dress that was jet black and threw it on and walked into my bathroom. I had no idea what I was going to do with my hair. I frowned, grabbed my brush and pulled it through my hair a few times.

I normally left it in a bun hidden under my hoody; I figured I would let my hair flow where it wanted. Today would be a day of surprises, why not let everything out today. I grabbed a three carat diamond that hung on a thin platinum chain and one carat diamond earrings, put them on and headed down stairs.

I looked out the window for Anne’s car about twenty times before I heard her car coming down the long driveway. I quickly jumped up and looked out the window. Anne’s little Civic was driving slowly down the drive; I knew what she was thinking, this couldn’t be right. I smiled at her reluctance, and suddenly felt nauseous. Within the next few minutes Anne would be in my house. I watched her pull up behind my old truck I parked just pasted the garage.

Here we go, I thought to myself as I watched Anne walk up to the door. I could tell from my last glance at her she was unsure if she was in the right place, but I could tell from the way she eyed my truck she knew she was. She was dressed causal with jeans and a tank-top. I opened the front door right when she was about to knock.

"Hi."

"Hi, wow Pip," Anne paused to gather her thoughts, "I hardly recognize you."

I felt a wave of relief as she looked me over. I could tell she liked what she saw and was as nervous as I was. I felt warmth in my loins at the hope that she felt the same as I did her.

"Come in, come in." I said quickly.

Anne walked through the door and looked around, "This house is amazing Pip, you live here?"

"Yeah."

"Really? You’re parents must be really rich."

"No, my parents are dead."

"Oh, I’m sorry."

I could see that speaking of my parents and hearing they had passed made Anne feel a little awkward.

"Don’t worry about it. They died many years ago." the though made me smile. Many years ago didn’t really cover it.

I took Anne by the hand and pulled her further into the house, "Well, this is where I live. Do you like it?" I asked.

"Do I like it? The place is incredible. Who…do you live here by yourself?"

"Yes, it’s a really long story. But yes, I do."

"I’m really confused, or in awe. Or both, I guess you could take you could take your pick. Oh my goodness, look at you!"

I smiled at her enthusiasm, "Well, let me show you the house."

Anne took in the large common area, the luxurious living room set. The massive entertainment center, my white grand piano. The three large double doors that exited onto the back balcony that overlooked the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The two gas fire places on either side of the common area.

"The dining room and the kitchen are through there." I said pointing at the grand archway off to the left side of the house.

"Oh, those doors are huge." Anne said, "And the ceiling is so high."

I laughed, "Come I want to show you something." I took Anne by the hand and led her towards the stairs that went down stairs.

"Off to the right is a wine cellar that has no wine in it. And over there is the so call locker room for the pool.

Anne walked over to the glass wall and laid her head against it and looked in at the pool, "Is it heated?"

"Yes. One of these days if you would like, we can go swimming. It’s the best when it’s night time. When nothings on but the pool lights, it makes the whole room have this eerie blue tint. It’s really cool. Shall we go back up stairs?"

Anne nodded and led the way back to the living room. She didn’t speak as we got comfortable on one of the couches. Her sullen expression started me worrying and I started to feel nauseous again.

So I started to speak in a rush, "I can’t tell you how worried I’ve been about you coming here. I was so afraid that if you saw my house you wouldn’t want to be friends with me anymore."

"Why would you think that?" Anne asked with concern.

"Because I don’t know how to identify with people. It’s like I live in my own world. I don’t need to go to school; I go for something to do. To be around people. But when I do, I have no idea what to say to them. I don’t want people to think I’m a show off or anything, and I don’t want to lose your friendship because I’ve been dishonest with who I am."

"I don’t think you’ve been dishonest, more that you were a mystery. I’ve thought that since the first time we spoke in math class. But now the mystery has been somewhat revealed." Anne spoke with such tenderness.

"Thank you."

"But enough about that look at you! I can’t believe how pretty you are, not that I didn’t think you were pretty before. But, I still can’t get over you."

I felt myself blushing. I just hoped there was more to Anne’s complement; I hoped it was filled with attraction.

"Pip, why don’t you dress like this more often?"

"I do. I just don’t go dressed like this when I go somewhere that I go often."

"Why?"

"Because I don’t like people ogling at me. Anne I’m five-foot-eleven. So I can’t really blend in. Nor can I stand the thought of little boys I see everyday checking me out. Then going home and thinking about me when they get into the shower or wherever else they do those sorts of things."

"Don’t be silly Pip. But if you hide away in your hoody, how can you hope to meet someone."

"Maybe I have met someone, and maybe that person doesn’t mind my hoody?" instantly I regretted saying that. I feared that I was being too forward in an inappropriate time.

"Maybe that person doesn’t like that hoody but tries to see past it? Did you ever think about that?" Anne said with mock seriousness.

"What are we talking about?" I asked daring not to hope where this

conversation could end up.

"I don’t know. You being silly I think."

I didn’t really like that answer too much. I was left not knowing really where Anne stood. Sometimes I really didn’t like people. Did she like me or not? I decided to change the topic.

"So do you have plans for tonight?" I asked.

"No not really. I thought I might go out. But I haven’t really made any plans. Plus, I don’t really have anyone to go out with."

Now what in the world did that mean? I sat there for a second trying figure out if there was a hidden meaning to what Anne said.

"Pip, did you want to do something?"

"Well, there’s this really fancy-pants club that I know in Seattle. I’ve been there a few times; it’s great if you like to dance. Not that I’ve ever been brave enough to dance there. Do you like dancing?"

"Do I like dancing?" Anne asked and jumped up off the couch, turned her back towards me, put her arms over her head and shook her hips, "Girl I was born shake this booty."

Anne laughed and fell back on the couch. I was a little shocked at her shaking her rump for me to say anything for a second.

"Well this place we’re going to go to is really high end fancy, so I’m going to drive."

"I hate to say it, but your little Ranger isn’t nicer than my Honda. But I suppose you have other cars other than that truck."

"I do, red or black?" I asked.

"Red or black what?"

"Pick a color."

"Red of course." Anne said with a grin.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Almost four."

"Well if we’re going to go to Seattle, we’re going to have to start getting ready soon. It’s a two hour drive to Seattle, and I’m sure you’re going to want to go home and get changed. Would you like for me to come with you to your place so

you can get your stuff and just get ready here?"

"That would be cool."

"Okay, let me change real quick and we can go."

"What’s wrong with what you’re wearing now?" Anne asked.

"I don’t go out dressed like this in Oak Harbor."

"Whatever, you silly goose. Let’s just go and get back here."

I had changed back into my jeans and hoody, got a shake of the head from Anne and we headed to her apartment. We chit chatted about pointless things and sang horribly along with the radio, it was a good time. When we pulled into her parking lot I felt an instant change in her demeanor.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"No, well, my roommate’s home."

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked.

"She isn’t very nice sometimes."

"Oh, would you like me to wait down here?"

"No," Anne paused for a second, "To hell with her. Come on."

As we came into Anne’s apartment, her roommate hardly gave us a look, I knew her immediately. I had known her type my whole life. Short, blond, pretty and fit. Those attributes were about all she had to offer the world, other than cruelty. I had history class with her; she constantly craved attention from boys and had a sneer towards girls. On a regular basis, I thought of doing the world a favor by pulling her head off her shoulders.

"I’ll be just a moment." Anne said and headed to her bedroom.

When Anne spoke to me, Tammy noticed me I think for the first time.

"Well, hello there." she said with her normal sneer.

"Hey."

"So you’re the mysterious math tutor."

"I guess." I answered imaging ripping her face off.

"You guess." she repeated back. Tammy sat there for a second and with an ugly smirk, then got off the couch and went into Anne’s bedroom.

Tammy didn’t shut the door behind her completely, I knew she was about to talk about me so I listened closely.

"So that freak is you’re math tutor?" Tammy asked sarcastically.

"Tammy just leave it alone."

"What, are you embarrassed?"

"No."

"So why didn’t you tell me that carnie sideshow was your tutor?"

"Because you didn’t need to know, that’s why."

"Are you screwing her?"

"Just shut up Tammy."

"You are, aren’t you? That’s so gross. Not that I care, but yuck."

"First of all, I’m not

screwing anyone, you witch. Secondly, who I choose to spent time with is none of your business. And third, Pip is really a nice person. Not that your shallowness would really care about that."

"Looks like I hit a nerve. Anyways, what are you doing?"

"I’m going out."

"With serial killer girl?"

"Not that it’s any of your business."

"Where?"

"I don’t know. Someplace in Seattle."

"Seattle, some bull dyke bar probably."

"Yeah Tammy, we’re going to some bull dyke bar. You want to come?"

"Maybe I do, I think it would be funny watching you get freaky with that train wreck."

"Just shut up." with that Anne came out of her bedroom and went into the bathroom and slammed the door.

Tammy came back into the living room and stood there looking at me. I was trying to act like I hadn’t heard their privet conversation. I stood by the doorway and was looking at some pictures hanging on the wall.

"So

where are you guys going tonight?" Tammy asked.

Without looking away from the pictures I answered, "The Oz."

I could tell my answered surprised her, for a second she didn’t answer. I guess she wasn’t quite sure of a comeback to my answer or if I was just messing with her.

"Yeah, okay." she replied sarcastically, "Like a loser like you could get in there." I ignored her comment and focused on the pictures.

When I didn’t respond she went on, "You know, I tried to get into The Oz once." not taking her bait she continued, "If I couldn’t get in, what chance do you think you have?"

"I know the door man."

"Yeah right."

"Huge black guy, in his early thirties. His name is Barn. I doubt you saw him though; actually I’m sure you didn’t. I bet you stood in line hoping to get in. You probably stood out there all night hoping some rich guy would take you in."

I turned and looked at her to see her reaction, Tammy stood there glaring at me. Thankfully Anne came out of the bathroom holding a bag and saved me from ice queen’s death glare.

"You ready?" Anne asked.

I smirked at Tammy, "Sure."

As we walked out the door we heard Tammy call after us, "When you don’t get in Anne, call me and I’ll let you know where I am. Bye serial killer girl."

As we walked back to the car Anne asked me, "What was that all about with Tammy?"

"I was giving her a hard time about her trying to get into The Oz."

"Did you know she had tried to get in there once?"

"Yes."

"How? Did you hear her taking about it?"

I smiled at the memory, "Believe it or not, I went the night she tried to get in. When I got there, she was way at the back of the line standing there by herself. When I left a few hours later, she was still in the same place looking really irritated."

We both laughed, "I’m surprised they didn’t let her in. She is very pretty, and a s**t." Anne said.

I snickered, "The Oz has plenty of pretty girls there. So one standing out there, they don’t know or never have seen, they know she’s a leech trying to pick up a rich guy. For a girl by herself trying to get into

that place, you need to be little

hotter then what Tammy has to offer. Trust me on that, you’ll see."

"I don’t know Pip, I’m not sure I’m going to like this place."

"Hog-wash. We’re not going there to pick up guys or try to stand out. You and I are going to dance and that’s all that matters." I said trying to ease Anne’s panic.

"Are you sure we’re going to be able to get in?" she asked.

"One hundred percent positive. Trust me on that, we won’t even have to wait in line."

"You sure?"

"Yup. I know the door man, remember?" I said and bumped her shoulder with mine; we laughed and got into the car to head back to my place.

We hit the road running when we got back. I showed Anne one of the upstairs bathrooms that she could use to get ready. I on the other hand, once I heard the shower going ran quickly downstairs and went into the kitchen. I had to eat, getting angry at Tammy got my blood up and it showed me that I needed to.

I had a large beef roast in the fridge thawed out, I tore the plastic rapper off and threw it in the trash and headed back up stairs. I shut my bedroom door and went into the bathroom. My bathroom had a large walk-in steam shower and a two person jacuzzi tub on a small platform.

I turned the water to straight hot and started to eat my roast. By the time I finished it, the tub was full. I turned the water off and set the jet timer for fifty minutes, quickly washed my hands and got into the tub. The burning hot water felt so good, the steam that filed the bathroom calmed my nerves.

I let the day’s events play through my head; I thought things went well with Anne. Even the conversation Anne had with her foul roommate Tammy had raised some interesting questions in my mind. I let the conversation play out as I stretched my wings out to let them soak. I hadn’t flown in awhile, and having them folded up inside my back had them feeling a bit cramped.

There were several things that came out in that conversation I thought I should look at. Tammy had asked Anne several direct questions; I was willing to bet there was some genuine curiosity there.

Tammy had asked Anne why she hadn’t told her about me. I came to two conclusions why. The first, which seemed more likely then second, she didn’t

want to hear Tammy’s mouth about her friendship with me. The second, she was embarrassed of me, which I highly doubted so definitely the first.

Next questioned I think I thought was the most interesting, why did Tammy ask Anne if she was

screwing me? Anne quickly shut Tammy down on that question, which had raised two questions in my mind. One, did she prefer girls to boys? And two, did Anne want to go in that direction with me? I think to the first one, I would be willing to guess yes. The second, I would have to give a strong maybe.

Then there was the comment about the dyke bar. If assuming your roommate likes girls, then it wouldn’t be too far of a leap to believe the said roommate’s friend who you think is weird would also like girls. So logically that’s the only place two lesbians would go right?

I shook my head at the thought of Tammy, what a waste of space she was. But that raises another question, what’s Anne and Tammy’s history? If, and this is a big if, Anne does prefer girls, is Tammy a spurn lover? And now are they in a lease they can’t get out of? That so doesn’t have to do with anything I need to think about, but something I should bring up with Anne.

Not that it matters.

After the jets shut off, I let the water out and got into the shower. I turned the water on burning hot and climbed in. So, what are my conclusions about Anne I thought to myself?

One, I believed that Anne’s and my friendship was important enough not to want to hear about it from Tammy. Which was a good thing in my book.

Two, there was a distinct possibility that Anne cares for the company of girls over boys, and she would hopefully like do develop something with me. Well, the second part of that I would put in my developing story box.

I quickly washed with the best smelling lavender shampoo and body wash and got out. Wrapping a towel around me, I went into my closet to figure out what I wanted to wear. Skimming through my dresses, it was like it called to me. My vintage bright red bad girl dress.

I loved this dress, it fit me perfectly. This dress seemed made for girls of my height, it came down a few inches passed my knees. It had a halter ties, and was made to enhance cleavage of even with the smallest of breast. So needless to say, I

filled it wonderfully. I grabbed a pair of black pumps with a four inch heal; it made me laugh at the thought. Wearing these shoes I was going to be a few inches over six feet tall.

For my hair I went with a classic look. I went with the large vintage curls. As I was finishing up my make-up, Anne knocked on my bedroom door.

"Are you planning on being in there that rest of the night?"

I laughed, "You can come in if you like." I said from the bathroom.

I heard the bedroom door open, "Where are you?" Anne asked.

"In here." I called from in front of the mirror. I saw Anne come in and lean on the door frame.

"Wow."

"You like?" I asked playfully.

"Very much so. Can you help me?" I turned and saw that Anne was kind of holding herself together, "Can you tie me up?"

I looked at her for a second, "I thought we were going out." I said slyly

"I meant my corset you goose." Anne laughed and turned around.

Anne’s corset was light tan and was covered in floral designs. It laced both up the front and the back and had cut little straps that went over her shoulders, it matched her skin well. She had straighten her hair, as she turned around I got a good look at her soft, muscular back. Her hair went down to the middle of it and stopped right at the top of the corset.

I could feel my heart beating in my throat as I looked at her back. Gently I reached up and hooked her hair with my hand and placed it over her shoulder. Anne reached across her body and grabbed her hair with her hand and looked back ever so slightly over her shoulder.

I touched the tip of her shoulder with my finger and traced across it. She closed her eyes and lightly smiled. I rand my finger tips down her spine to the top of her corset and stopped. I let out a slow deep breath; I was going to need tequila tonight. That much was for sure.

Anne broke her magic spell on me, "Are you going to tie me up or what?" we both laughed and I placed my forehead on the back of her head until I could stop. I sighed and very carefully making sure all the satin laces were straight and flat, I

tied it up.

"There." I said touching the top of her corset with the tips of my fingers.

"Thank you." she said and turned to make sure the front was right.

As I watched her fidget with the front laces, I got a chance to really take her in. Anne was wearing a pair of tight low cut jeans with a small black heal. She had about three inches of mid-drift showing, I could see the tips of her pelvis bone protruding out over the top of her jeans. Something I thought was incredibly sexy.

"Do I look okay?" Anne asked, sounding insecure. The thought of being at The Oz had her worried. But I didn’t think there was anything I could say to ease her tension.

"One second hun." I turn away from her and grabbed the diamond necklace that I was wearing earlier. As I walked up I had her turn around and clasp it around her neck. She turned and looked at it; I could feel the heat coming off her body as we stood close.

"Is it real?" Anne asked not looking up from the diamond.

"Yes."

"Pip, I can’t wear this."

"Wear it for me please."

"Okay." Anne looked up into my eyes, and for a moment I thought she was going to kiss me.

"We better get going, if we’re going to get you something to eat before we get to Seattle." I said thankfull the moment passed.

"You’re not going to eat?"

"I did when you were in the shower."

"Oh."

"Did you want to eat somewhere along the way or something?"

"No, Taco Hell will be fine."

I smiled, "Come on, let’s get off this island."

Anne followed me down the stairs, though the kitchen and out to the garage. As I went through the door I reached over and flicked the lights on. The fluorescents flickered for a second and lit up.

Anne followed me into the garage and chuckled, there in front of the three closed garage doors were three vehicles that were covered, "Okay, now I’m scare."

"Why?" I asked laughing.

"Because if you have to cover them in a garage I know you have something crazy under there.

I laughed and walked over the second car, with a large smile I ripped the sheet off and Anne gasped.

"Wow."

It was like it magically appeared there; even sitting still my new red Porsche with its black carbon fiber style hood looked fast.

"What kind of car is that?"

I smiled, I loved this car, "It’s the new Porsche 911 GT2RS. It has a V-six with twin turbos. Six hundred and twenty horsepower, zero to sixty in three-point-four seconds, and a top speed of two hundred and five miles per hour. Don’t worry; I won’t kill us in it."

"I’m grateful." Anne said and laughed.

We got in and headed for Oak Harbor proper. We took a left on Highway Twenty and headed for Deception Pass. It was a scenic drive off the island, but I didn’t like the bridge. The bridge was too narrow and I didn’t know if I went off it in car I could get out of it in time not to go into the water. I knew I would survive the fall, but there were things that the human side of me still feared.

I drove the speed limit east to I-Five south, the car was still really new so I didn’t like to push it too hard too soon. Plus I didn’t think it would impress Anne too much if we got into a police chase on our first date.

First date, the thought of it kind of made me smile. I wondered if Anne thought of this as a first date. We had almost kissed there in my bedroom after I gave her that diamond. So this had to be something for her right? One thing was for sure, things couldn’t stay as they were yesterday. Anne and I had crossed that invisible line; I guess sometimes it’s called the point of no return. We would never go back to being ‘just friends’. Even if she just wanted that, it couldn’t happen. The way she let me touch her shoulder and back when I was tying her corset. The way we almost kissed after giving her the diamond. After tonight there would only be two

emotions we would be able to feel towards one another, love and hate.



© 2012 John A. Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 18, 2012


Author

John A. Hill
John A. Hill

WA



About
hey everyone, i hope you like "A Killer's Love." if you do, i've made a page on Facebook for it. since i can't find an agent i would do my best to attracted one by word of mouth. here's the link: htt.. more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by John A. Hill


friendship friendship

A Chapter by John A. Hill