Out of Darkness: Chapter 5 - Leaving

Out of Darkness: Chapter 5 - Leaving

A Chapter by James Marino
"

Our Heroine leaves Vyrion and leaves her guardian and friend behind

"
Brother Tallard approached Ailish’s door and raised his hand to knock but stopped. Behind the door he could hear her singing. How long since he heard her sing? A year? Longer? The thought made his heart ache. He knocked once, three times, and once again. The door opened almost immediately.

“Tallard.” She looked pleased to see him at least. “You must do something about that awful woman or I swear I’m going to smother her face with my Livro Unon.” She crossed her arms.

“That’s the spirit girl,” he smiled. “Pack your things. You are leaving.” She looked at him like she didn’t hear what he said.

“Sorry, did you say leaving? I don’t understand.”

“I will explain while you gather your things.”

“No. You will explain first.” She had been more and more like this lately, exerting more control over who was in charge in their relationship. “I’m not a child who can be ordered around.”

“Ailish,” he pleaded.

“Tallard,” she answered in the same tone.

“Alright, I will pack your things and explain.” He pulled a small traveling bag from under the bed and began putting her few possessions into it. “Someone has betrayed us. The Waarheid knows you are here and they are coming for you.”

“Good. I’m tired of hiding. Let them come.”

“I know being here has been difficult. I understand that you want to stand up to them…”

“Sia hit every child in the classroom today,” Ailish said, cutting him off. Tallard winced.

“I am sorry. But this is not the time.” He picked up the copy of Livro Unon and put it in the bag. “When you decide to face this evil it should be when you choose it. Not when they arrange for your death.” He tried not to look at her directly in the eye. He was afraid that she would see more than just urgency there. He felt her take him by the shoulders and square her face to his to make him look at her. He knew she saw the fear there and he turned away ashamed of himself.

“You are are afraid.” She said, astonished. “Everyone is so afraid of them. If they make a spectacle of me then maybe it will start an uprising. Or even a revolution.” He could hear the seriousness in her voice. He admired her. She really would offer her life up if it would help bring the Waarheid down.

“Sacred Warriors are on their way here,” He whispered. “And they did not make a spectacle of any of the others. They just vanished.”

“Sacred Warriors?” Ailish let go of his shoulders and turned. “I would rather face Sia Riada. Where are we going?” she said, turning back to him.

“You and Brother Theus are going to Briarwood to enlist some help.” He held the travel bag out to her. “I will see you in Rivertown in three days. We will cross the river together and then make our long journey to Baelesh.” Ailish took the bag and nodded.

“Why do I get the feeling that I’m not going to see you again?” She touched his worn wrinkled face like a mother who was about to leave behind a child for the first time. “I have never parted with a guardian like this. Something feels wrong, Tallard. Like someone else is pulling the strings, manipulating us into doing something foolish. Why not come now? No one is going to miss you. If they know I am here then they may know about you too.” He was tempted. Perhaps she was right. But something else nagged at him about this. Something was different about whoever was hunting them and he had to find out all he could. Going with her would be the safest course but not the best.

“No. I need to find answers. And I’ll begin with who sent me the warning.” Tallard opened the door and looked into the hallway. It was empty. “Brother Theus is waiting in the stables. Now go.” She kissed him on the cheek and went quickly down the hall. “Good bye my dear Ailish.” He whispered.


© 2013 James Marino


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on December 23, 2013
Last Updated on December 28, 2013
Tags: Novel, Fantasy


Author

James Marino
James Marino

Pittsburgh, PA



About
I've been dabbling in writing since I was a kid. Several years ago I went took a writing course through the Long Ridge Writers Group and actively sought publication for some short stories. I've taken .. more..

Writing