"Mother?"

"Mother?"

A Story by thewrldbneaththewind
"

A story that i wrote this morning.

"

"Mother?"

I walked around every day seeing her waste her life away. Drinking anything that she can get her hands on. Going to the hospital daily. But I didnt feel anything, say anything.

 

My friends would come over and ask if she's okay. My response stayed the same, "She did this to herself. She is in way too deep and Noone can help her now."

 

5 years past. I'm in 12th grade about to graduate. She missed the ceremony because she was out for a vodka run. I accepted to LSU and she wasn't there to share the joy because she was in the bathroom throwing up. I married a wonderful man and she missed our wedding because she couldn't get off of her couch. After all these years of waiting. I finally gave up. I stopped talking to her, stopped trying to help her.

 

2 years later I got a phone call. All it said was "come to your old house." I ignored it figuring that it was her. Another one came, saying that it was urgent. I ignored it again, thinking it was just her again wanting more boose. Someone called again, and this time I anwsered it. It said that she passed and that she was buried and the Northwest Cemetery. I took leave from my work, and went down to the cemetery.

 

I walked up the green hills, breathing in the cold air, waiting to see her at the top of the hill drinking and laughing because she just played a cruel joke. I didn't. I got to the top and I walked a little further and started to cry. 

 

 "Here lies Samantha Madison

 Mother and Daughter."

 

I sat down crying in my legs knowing that if I had come a little earlier than I might have had the opportunity to say goodbye.

 

And with 4 words I said goodbye for ever...

 

"I forgive you mother."

 

I walked back to my life, back to my home, my kids and my husband. I came through the door and my husband asked me,"Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah, I am fine. Where's the Vodka?" I asked him.

 

"Under the cabinet." He replied shocked.

 

"Okay.."

 

I searched under the cabinet untill I found the bottle that held a story of lifetime regret. I took it out and poured a tall glass till' all of the boose was out of the bottle and into the glass. But instead of drinking it like my mother would have, I poured it down the drain, hoping that this one symbolic gesture meant something to my mother in heaven. And with one whisper I moved on forever.

 

"This is for you mom."

© 2008 thewrldbneaththewind


Author's Note

thewrldbneaththewind
ignore errors i typed it a little fast.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on February 29, 2008

Author

thewrldbneaththewind
thewrldbneaththewind

Tacoma, WA



About
i am me. i talk, i listen. i sing, i write. thats it. more..