The Eggs of Time

The Eggs of Time

A Story by J.B. Octo
"

A short tale about a boy who...well you'll see.

"

         "Where u at?" the text read in all of it's grammatically incorrect glory. Thomas stared at his creamy, egg shaped phone as the date on the side bar read October 10, 2084. Highways of information zoomed up, down, and around the phone as he looked at his text messages. His eyes stared for the first time at his lonely phone. It was a void filled with two or three contacts and information that Thomas never payed any attention to.
         "I'm at the museum" he replied. He button mashed the digital touch display in a rhythm as the flamboyant city goers walked around him. They were dressed in a variety of clothing styles as they talked loudly, made frowns, or smiled their ivory teeth. His draping, white coat was carried by the wind as it fluffed about like a flag. Actually, he couldn't tell if it was the wind or the mass of people walking past him, a mass in which he felt he never belonged. Thomas used to look at groups of other adolescents and say, "Why them and not me?" He would curse the world and himself.
          "omw" another message read. Thomas wanted to just let the phone drop so that it could crack and clack into a million pieces. After that, he would simply walk back home through the crowds of people. He cursed himself for thinking of the notion, hoping that a passerby wouldn't see his mouthing lips.
And yet, he waited in apprehension, silently hoping that his friends wouldn't show up at all. Suddenly, he heard a beep from his phone.
          "Look behind you tom" a text read. He looked behind him and saw his friends.
          "Hi," he said as his phone slipped out of his hand.
          "Good one, Thomas." Dorran said while slapping Thomas on his shoulder.
          "That's what you get for getting the ceramic egg phone." Samantha said with her usual wit. Thomas bent down, embarrassed, and stared at the phone. It was cracked and clacked into a million pieces.

© 2014 J.B. Octo


Author's Note

J.B. Octo
I feel as if I could've added more descriptions to the story. What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree with your assessment as far as needing more description. On the other hand, I found myself curious about it. And it simply needed more length.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Good writing, but a real imagination might have had him using a technology in 2084 different from a "phone."

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

J.B. Octo

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! I was trying to focus more on the character side of things, and the future.. read more
D.L. Coleman

9 Years Ago

Yes, I could tell. Good writing, though.
J.B. Octo

9 Years Ago

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2014
Last Updated on October 11, 2014
Tags: eggs, thomas, sci-fi, museums, jackets, phones, social, friends, comaderie, loneliness

Author

J.B. Octo
J.B. Octo

About
A young writer attempting to explore various ideas and literature. I like to explore different perspectives of others and myself included. I love splashes of EXPRESSION, which is really what writing i.. more..

Writing