Why the Swing Stays Still

Why the Swing Stays Still

A Poem by Jacqueline Corrine
"

Ever been abandoned?

"
There's something comforting about holding a sponge in the shower. Kind of like how you held me that one night do you remember? I do. I remember you pushing me on the swings in the park. I would laugh for hours. You were my partner in crime and I was yours until we got caught up. And I got pinned down. The effects of you disappearing lingered, I was in shock. But you visited my dreams every Monday and Saturday. In my bed you would enter. A ghost who'd slip in and out. Never heard from again, no words, no sight. I began to crave your favorite foods during my lunchtime, I savored every bite. And during dinner I would only starve until I got to drink you in. But you spilled my milk and I cried instead. Funny thing how love never came to my rescue. My super duper man was a drifting cloud and when I looked up it morphed into something else. Now even the seeds in my backyard grow faster than you would come home. I smirk, I guess that's life. It moves on without you or your sweet nothings. In the end that's what you left me with but they dried up bitter. I hand them out when a ray of sunshine is thrown in my path. I sprinkle them on the ground to sweet up my past so another You won't get through my door. I made sure of that. I'll get a guard dog to protect my hissing cat. The swings will stay still, the chains clang no more. I should have stepped on the snake once it came rattling at my door. The love you presented got lost in the house. I was the only one searching for it while you lounged on the couch. Then my bones started to ache and you were no where to be found. You left a bitten apple core on the table. A worm slithered out.

© 2017 Jacqueline Corrine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on May 2, 2017
Last Updated on May 2, 2017
Tags: #love #bitter #poetry #sweet #ap