Sad Window

Sad Window

A Story by Jacqueline Corrine
"

Avanda is a character who's father has her locked up in the house on a daily basis, trapped by the sea shore in their beach house. As she grows older she feels claustrophobic in her home.

"

Sometimes I think about out there, the beyond. The stuff I can’t touch or see. What colors have I not walked among? What other smells am I missing out on? Surely, everything can’t be for my protection. But, daddy says…but, father knows…But, that’s just it. He knows. And if he knows why can’t I too? Whatever is out there, past my sad little window sill can’t be so evil that I stay locked up. Yes, I’m a prisoner in my own home. Home, yea right. It’s a jail I can only identify with because I know nothing else. Even the ignorant becomes curious father! I am a girl! I want to roam and run and dance and sing and cry out to the sky without limitations or stupid curfews or pointless rules that keep me mentally chained to my room. You gave me a thousand birds to be my friends, but birds cannot talk father, they don’t even sing. They identify with me to the point of silence. It is because they are broken just like me. Trapped.

            I suppose you keep me around for company, too. I am your bird, daddy. Your soulless, spiritless little girl who’s not a little girl anymore. The more I grow, the smaller my caged room becomes. I want to use all my five senses including my heart. Are you truly trying to protect me? Is this how mother shrunk into her vegetable-like state? I am becoming just like her, father. Constantly staring out of a sad window sill. Only a slight breeze and a spray of the ocean shore reminding me I am alive. What is being alive without being free?

            I see no one. I learn nothing outside of the library walls. Father, did you know we have one thousand and fifty-three books. I've read them all. None of them could tell me how to escape. Did you know our kitchen floor has fourteen hundred blue and green tiles? I had to count them in the doorway because you won’t let me go inside. Daddy, did you know I cannot stand the color purple because violets the only flowers mother picks apart as she stares outside. I often wonder what exactly is she looking for or whom? When I stare out my sad little window, I picture myself leaving and never turning back, not even to say goodbye. A piece of me laughs on the inside at that word. I've never said it. I see you, daddy. Every day.

                                    

© 2016 Jacqueline Corrine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is really good, I really enjoyed reading it. Is there more to the story? Would be interesting to know why she's locked up.
Also, I really had to tell you that I love love love your last line: "When I stare out my sad little window, I picture myself leaving and never turning back, not even to say goodbye. I piece of me laughs on the inside at that word. I've never said it. I see you, daddy. Every day."
Brilliant closer!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thank you both for the wonderful review!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is great. I loved it. I think you should turn this into a story. It would be interesting to read. Write about how one day she escapes, and finds out what the real world is like. This was fun to read all the way through.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really good, I really enjoyed reading it. Is there more to the story? Would be interesting to know why she's locked up.
Also, I really had to tell you that I love love love your last line: "When I stare out my sad little window, I picture myself leaving and never turning back, not even to say goodbye. I piece of me laughs on the inside at that word. I've never said it. I see you, daddy. Every day."
Brilliant closer!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2016
Tags: #home #trapped #teen #leaving #b