Happenstance

Happenstance

A Story by imrul.islam
"

Insomnia

"
Shards of sunlight fall in an array of alien patterns on the floor, creep up the bedcover and onto the pillow where my tired head lies. Nervous yellow fingertips comb through my hair, kneed my brows and come to rest on my eyelids.  I turn away, the fingers follow. Exasperated, I cover myself with a pillow. I won’t wake up.
Through the cracks between the pillow and my hand the light seeps in, invades my fortress of eternal slumber. I squint at the damnation, roll my eyes and pledge revenge. 
The curtains sway in mock understanding. Sunlight pours in this time, gushes through the window and illuminates the room in its entirety. The curtains dance in glee. 
I sit up with an effort; look around groggily at my too-bright surroundings. Rubbing my eyes I dangle my legs over the edge of the bed, watch it hover above the floor. The light awaits there, I give in reluctantly. Good morning.
Halfway between brushing my teeth and playing with soap bubbles, I have an epiphany. 
The mirror reflects my wicked toothpaste laden grin. I wash up quickly; make my way to my parents’ room where life has already stuttered into first gear. Ignoring mom’s questions about my unnaturally early appearance among the living, I travel purposefully towards the cabinet. Half a stack of mosquito nets and pillows later, I hit gold. The bed cover dangles from my hand as I re-enter the arena of light.
The bedcover, true to its name, blinds the curtains. The light has been vanquished. I lie down among pillows and books- a warrior tired by the rigors of battle, and wait for sleep to grace me with its presence.  
I am disappointed. 
Slumber has forsaken me, so has light. Darkness swirls in endless loops around the bed, makes me see things I’d rather not. I sense fear and disappointment. Somewhere beyond the covers, the curtains laugh. Light taunts me; the shadows bring me messages of vengeance. 
Maybe I’m losing my mind. Maybe insomnia has finally gotten to me. I clutch at nothingness in an attempt to reign in my sanity. 
Or maybe, just maybe, I’m not sleepy anymore.  

© 2011 imrul.islam


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on November 21, 2011
Last Updated on November 21, 2011
Tags: Insomnia, Fiction