Airport 12

Airport 12

A Chapter by roscoe
"

a new house has been built on the foundations chris had seen before leaving on deployment. rose invites chris inside, assuring him that justin ramone is no longer in her life.

"
I had been watching the clock for several hours now, between intermittent conversations with people I had not seen since before I enlisted. Suddenly popular, I was just trying to put on a satisfying show. Eventually, the house emptied, and after many handshakes and good wishes, my time was my own. Near the coat rack in the front room was a set of uniform key hooks, with one key ring in particular bearing an 80's Toyota 4x4 logo. I had gotten that key ring for Christmas following my 16th birthday, and it had become a highly prized possession. I spoke briefly with my parents before excusing myself, letting them know I would be out late, meeting up with friends. I walked out to the toyota, sitting in the corner of the driveway. It looked like nothing had been touched since I left, and my parents had even kept a tender on the battery. It fired right up. I listened to the engine warming, and remembered the letter Rose had left with my brother. I pulled it from my back pocket and switched on the overhead lamp.
Dear Chris

I hope will excuse the fact that I neglected to return your letters. I was grateful that you cared to write, though, and share with me the way you did. But, to be honest, things haven't been the same for me since we split apart, I'm sure you must realize this. I've met people, I've done things, I've experienced life in a way that I never have before. A way that with you, I would never have done. Your letters are saddening, I feel what you feel, about what you're doing, about where you where. But it was the choice you made, and a choice you made on my behalf as well. I would like to think we could stay in touch, that we could be close. In a way, you are responsible for where and who I am today, for the point of view I carry with me. If you wanted to meet sometime after you return home, I would like that. Call me anytime.

Yours Affectionately,
Rose
Not really the letter I was expecting. I looked at my watch: 8:45pm. I wonder if she would mind if I stopped by. At this point, with the way Katie was acting, I didn't really want to see her. If anything, we both needed some time apart after our conversation earlier this evening. I believed she will want to meet again, later, and pushing her against Dom isn't going to do me any good.
I shifted my truck into gear and set off, taking the same familiar route towards Rose's house. There was never much going on in Vancouver, especially later in the evening. Traffic was light, and the while the streets were dark, I had no problem finding her house. When I pulled up in front, however, I was surprised to see the foundations alongside Rose's home had transformed over the past year into a finished home, similar in size and design to its counterpart.

I sat in my truck, unsure of which door to approach, as both homes had lighted windows. I reached for my phone and reluctantly dialed Rose's number. At least if she had confronted me at her door, I might have had a chance to be invited in. Even though she told me to call, 'anytime', I could not help but remember the last time I stopped by to visit.
"Hello?" Her voice on the opposite end of the line was every bit as I remembered it.
"Hello, Rose. It's Chris," I answered, steadily, "I hope this isn't a bad time."
"No, of course not. Are you home?"
"Yes, just today. I was thinking it would be good to meet, to see each other."
Pausing slightly first, she answered, "Um, well, I don't know if I can get away right now."
"Then let me come to you. In fact, I'm here already, I just wasn't expecting there to be two houses. Did you move?"
"You're here?"
I was staring at her second story window, the one centered over the front porch.
"Yes."
"I'll be right there. Its the newer house," she responded.
I continued staring at the window over the porch, a window that apparently no longer belonged to her.
I stepped out of my truck, and made my way up to her door. For once, even given the opportunity of the situation, I felt uncomfortable for knowing what it was I was walking into. The house, the girl, everything seemed different. I paused at the door and heard footsteps approaching from the opposite side. The door opened quickly, and without a word she beckoned me inside.
"It's good to see you, Chris," she said, quietly. I could tell something was wrong.
"I thought we might go somewhere. Go for a drive, talk a bit."
The suggestion fell upon deaf ears.
"You can't be here right now, Chris. I wish you had let me know you were coming over. I want to go, I do, but I just can't right now," She was looking at the floor.
It was only just then that I picked up on the footsteps coming from the second floor.
Justin.
"I didn't realize you had company. I'm sorry," I turned back towards the door. What luck.
"Chris, wait. It's not what you're thinking. Things are different now. But just because you're back doesn't mean I'm going to change everything at once. Will you call me later?"
"Sure," I paused, wondering if those footsteps would pick back up, if Justin would come walking down the steps. I could direct my anger at him, rather than withhold it from her.
"Goodnight, Rose."
"Goodnight Chris."


© 2014 roscoe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on February 3, 2014
Last Updated on February 16, 2014


Author

roscoe
roscoe

Portland, OR



About
Beginning writer. more..

Writing
No context No context

A Story by roscoe


Delayed 1 Delayed 1

A Chapter by roscoe


Delayed Delayed

A Book by roscoe