Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Hobbit
"

Who are you?

"

The image faded into the old man's face once more.

I was trembling from head to foot with anger and distress. Jenny was on that blasted ship with those pirates and that stupid Donald was just walking her into it. I should be back there, then none of this would've happened. I wanted more then anything else to go back to earth and get Jenny, then go back to our house and never leave again. I was so worried for her. She was doing this all for me. I was the most stupid person in the world. I hated myself.

'Would you like to see anything else? Or know anything? Just name it.' The man in the mirror asked impatiently.

I looked back down at the mirror. Who was this guy anyway? And how come he was stuck in this mirror? I asked him these questions.

'Well, it's about time someone actually cared about who was showing them all of their selfish desires! My name is...(he cleared his throat) Thorkel the All-Seeing. When I was on Earth, I spent my time comforting all the women who's husbands had gone off raiding and all that, by seeing fake visions of them and all the wonderful things that they were doing. I would also help around the farm to try and lighten the load of the man being gone. Of course if I was wrong, her family would try to kill me, so I was always on the move... Hey, you've got me babbling. But, the Gods punished me for my treachery by banishing my to see real visions for the rest of eternity.'

Thorkel finished his story, looking rather pleased with himself. I had to soak this in for a second. I had a plan how to get out of this place and find out what was going on,  and not sit around in some glorified nursing home rotting while Jenny was out there risking everything to find me,

and this guy could help me. I also felt sorry for him in a way. He wasn't really that bad. He'd spent his life trying to comfort women. Why?

'Why did you spend your life helping women? And why did the women let you into their houses?'

Thorkel looked even more pleased with himself, that someone was interested in his story.

'I would tell them that the local chief had asked me to help. I would help them because I felt sorry for them. Anymore questions nosey?'

He was still pleased, even though he'd called me nosey. My plan was working.

'Umm, only one can you really see anything?'

The light in Thorkels eyes faded.

'Of course I can see everything! You name it, I can see it. Every stupid person asks that one.'

My mind stopped working on my plan with a halt.

'What would you like to see, or can you see what you like, when you like?'

Thorkel looked at me with a dumb-founded stare.

'No one has ever asked me that... I would like to see my fjords again. I would like to see how the families turned out who I tried to help. I would...like to see my Mother again.'

There was a pause.

'That's what I want to see then'

Thorkels face faded once again. The mirror showed, first the most beautiful sight. Magnificent fjords beyond anything I had ever seen. I could almost feel the wind on my face as the scene flew around the Scandinavian fjords. Then the scene changed to many families either crying, killing or rejoicing. I saw families in Asgard having a wonderful time, or families in a horrible icy dungeon. I saw these scenes for a long time, until the mirror clouded. In a few seconds it cleared showing a lovely Viking woman. She had long flowing gold hair, with large sky-blue eyes and soft pale skin. Yet, she was dressed in plain clothes and was serving people their dinners and working hard in fields and barns. Then it showed her as the years went by, she was always working. Finally it showed her dying as a old lady and being buried and her in Asgard in a stunning garden. The images faded into Thorkels sobbing face.

'M-m-Mother had to leave me when I was a baby and I've always wondered what she looked like. Thank-you!'

He pulled out a rough piece of cloth and blew his nose on it. My heart ached for him. Imagine not knowing who your own Mother was? Now I really wanted to get him out of here.

'Hey, Thorkel? How would you like getting out of that mirror and finding your Mom?'

Thorkel looked at me.

'Oho! So this was your plan eh? Get old Thorkel all soppy, then trick him into helping you?

 Well, it's not going to work this time Buddy, 'cause I'm not gonna fall for it. I cannot believe how I could have even began to have fallen for it!'

He kept ranting and raving at me for a long time. I kept trying to get a word in edge-wise, but he would tell me to shut-up. I felt awful that he thought that I would try to do that to him, but he refused to listen. I guess I should've waited for a while until I brought up escape.

Finally he went quiet, looking at me with anger and embarrassment. I think he was embarrassed because I'd seen him crying. He dissappeared.

'Thorkel, listen to me. I am not tricking you. I'll admit that I thought of doing it at first, but then I saw how good you were and really wanted to help. I'm sorry for even thinking about cheating you. I need help. Please?'

Thorkels face slowly appeared, looking sulky and thoughtful. It took him a few minutes before he said anything.

'What would you do if you got out?'

My heart skipped a beat. He was at least interested! Then my thoughts crashed. What would I do if I got out of here? Find Sven? Look for the Gods?

'I would find the Gods and demand more the just fading away and not telling me anything.'

Thorkel burst out laughing.

'You silly boy! You can't just find them just like that. They probably went to one of there islands, they have thousands and thousands here, we could never find them!'

'Well, couldn't you just show me where they are?'

'I cannot show you anything to do with the Gods secrets and locations. Sorry, I sort of lied there.'

'I'm sure we could find a way to find out. Are you in?'

Thorkel looked thoughtful again.

'Alright. What's the plan?'



© 2013 Hobbit


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on October 26, 2013
Last Updated on November 14, 2013


Author

Hobbit
Hobbit

About
Hi Everyone. I am a new writer. I am a Mormon too. To explain myself would be hard as I am the biggest ragbag of a person that I've ever met. Writitng is my way of explaining myself, if I ever ha.. more..

Writing
A Real Dream A Real Dream

A Story by Hobbit


The Buzz The Buzz

A Poem by Hobbit