Atrophy

Atrophy

A Poem by Crowley

I can’t breathe.

The day leaks, dripping 

forehead to nose, nose to shoes.

The day leaks, dripping

frontal cortex to heart, heart to stomach pit.

 

I won’t remember,

That Citizenship certificate

or the drawing of the horse

that wasn’t a horse.

Frozen, stock still, day comes, night comes.

 

I can’t breathe.

The world races, spiraling

But that’s not right, not real.

The world races, slipping

making room for the next big thing.

© 2023 Crowley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh wow, this is so emotional. The weight is evident throughout. A true embodiment of poetry's ability to bottle our feelings and experiences for display. Brilliant.

Posted 8 Months Ago


Crowley

8 Months Ago

Thank you, your comments are much appreciated!!!
Your poem is a powerful and evocative expression of the sense of overwhelming anxiety and suffocation that can come with feeling like the world is moving too fast and that you can't keep up. The way that you use vivid imagery and poetic language to describe the experience of feeling like you can't breathe is both powerful and moving, and I think your poem captures the essence of what it means to be a thoughtful and compassionate person in a way that is both insightful and inspiring. Your use of metaphor and symbolism is particularly effective, and I think it speaks to the way that our fears and anxieties can consume us and make it difficult to see the world clearly. Overall, I think your poem is a beautiful reminder of the importance of taking time to slow down and appreciate the beauty and complexity of the world around us, even when it feels like everything is moving too fast.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

8 Months Ago

sorry about the late reply. What a wonderful and complex review. Sometimes I feel I miss so much of.. read more
Well the "drawing of the horse" most definitely has me thinking. Obviously there is so much more here than the physical nature of Atrophy. The world spins and we stand in our places as travelers never quite aware of the destination, but in this you have given the traveler and travels so much more. I feel the stars and distance falling down and the reality of the details of simply being alive..."The day leaks"...that it does indeed and could spend hours on that alone but from there you travel the senses into the consciousness as well as some illusion and detail. Still in the margin of what is and what is not your own reality. Been awhile, but I still remember the cultivations in your poetry. Like walking into a galaxy without your seatbelt on in some invisible car that seats none. Well done, most certainly enjoyed it!!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

8 Months Ago

Did I thank you for this review...No? I will...lol. Any review this amazing from the likes of one of.. read more
Dear Crowley,
the symptoms of atrophy that are not so acquainted
exhaustingly profoundly such draining, ill-wounding,
dreadness, a hard found loss of cope,
and willingness to make it through,
----Maynard.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

8 Months Ago

A very creative and well written comment. It feels so uphill at times, making the flat spots seem to.. read more
1809 Black Plague December

8 Months Ago

you are most welcome Dear, wishing you a happy new year, :S
‘The world races slipping making room for the next best thing.’ We are inundated with the next best thing . We race for many things that don’t matter and lose sight of what does and in turn humanity break down. Think we are all a bit breathless for what is going on for a long time. Not sure if this was what you meant but it is how I viewed it. Great title and write.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

8 Months Ago

Better late than never...lol, sorry for taking so long. Thanks for coming by and leaving a bit of yo.. read more
The day leaks, dripping into places where one certainly wouldn't be comfortable. To me it felt uncomfortable, intrusive. A feeling of Invasiveness. That was stunning imagery and something so new to think of.
Reading the poem, I get a sense of a world too fast leaving one with a sense of atrophying. It races and leaps out of reach, all the time leaving one stupefied and in a state of inactivity.
I enjoyed relating to your words as I often feel overwhelmed and rushed by a demanding day and by all the things out there swiftly reinventing themselves making me feel obsolete. A great poem to read today!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Yeah, I think people miss out because of the frenetic pace. Not sure if it's any different than any .. read more
Ayvid N

1 Year Ago

It was great to read and I always enjoy poems that carry a strongly felt message on life. This one d.. read more
I feel like I can relate to this on many levels. For me, the feeling is apathy of atrophy. The world is definitely slipping, but I think it's making room for the worst thing. Things are definitely dripping. It feels like a never-ending spiraling into soullessness to me. I hate feeling so fatalistic these days!

This is really well written, Crowly.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

The fatalism seems to hound at every corner. Thanks for the visit and the read, I appreciate it.
Man, I am always so fascinated with the machinations of a magnificent mind,
how it works, how it ties together D with X then back to A in what should be random but is shown to be perfectly logical. You have all of that.
I particularly liked the opening stanza and I sensed a metaphorical undercurrent throughout.
Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

These days people talk about the world passing you by in so many different ways, and I can feel it, .. read more
The thing with atrophy is ascertaining if it is from within us or from outside, around us.. perhaps even both. The drumming darkness is quite compelling.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for reading. I appreciate it!
You are the one here writing and I'm just stark here in atrophy C! Im flipping and flopping like a dying fish and you're still the sparkling warm sand....

Posted 1 Year Ago


Crowley

1 Year Ago

Well get in there and get going your lady...I'm not going to tell you twice! Actually this the the f.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2023
Last Updated on April 18, 2023

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing
Curfew Curfew

A Poem by Crowley


Nowhere Nowhere

A Poem by Crowley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..