Wolf and Hawk

Wolf and Hawk

A Story by Jo Zapata
"

Story co-written by a friend I have not had contact in over 10 years. I am the hawk.

"

                                 Wolf and Hawk

                  March, 2001

          

     Wolf watched Hawk glide above him, appreciating how she danced on the tips of her wings from one air step to another, smoothing her full body along each before skipping on to the next.  She screeled her personal song of joy as she moved.  He knew it was uncommon for his kind to notice such another other than to note its presence in their environment.  But, he was different.  He knew this.  Had always known this, living  a mostly solitary life as a result.  He did not question it.  He did not dislike this thing about himself.  He just was.

     As he turned to trot into the forest, a loud roll of thunder blasted Wolf’s sensitive ears.  As he desperately read his surroundings through smell, sight, hearing, hair tips, he was aghast to see Hawk tumbling down the air stairs, crashing to a horrible stop on the Mother only a few yards from him.  He crouched, frozen, frightened of the noise, focused entirely on the unnatural mound before him.  He saw that the breast still rose and fell, and heard that Hawk still breathed.  He smelled the thick odor of fresh blood.

     It was a long time of dragging in deep breaths of air, quieting his heart, tasting his surroundings, before Wolf tiptoed toward the misshapen pile of feathers.  Upon reaching Hawk’s body, he marveled at being so close to this air spirit.   Frightened, knowing Hawk’s people had lethal claws in which they grasped life from the Mother for food, Wolf took in the appearance of her wings and saw blood spilling out from a irregular hole in one of her mighty wings.  Although not knowing what to call the deafening blast or the resulting tearing and crashing of this air spirit, Wolf knew that Man was the cause of this tragedy, as he was for so many others in Wolf’s world.  

     Contemplating the majestic creature, Wolf knew what he must do.  Opening wide his normally vicious jaws, he ever-so-gently took her body into  his mouth and carried Hawk slowly and with much difficulty, home into his den.   Unclear about what he was to  do after that, he lay and simply looked upon her - looked after her.  In time, he inched next to Hawk and began to lick the blood and dirt and torn flesh, cleaning the wound in the way of his kind.  She did not stir. 

     For the cycle of two suns, Wolf stood guard, cleaning her wound daily.  He ventured out only to feed, drink, and stretch his massive, muscled body.  He knew not what he waited - only that he did.  As the Sun rose a third time, Wolf sensed a change in Hawk.  He sat up and gazed upon her as her eyes fluttered open.  As Hawk’s vision cleared and focused upon Wolf, she began to frantically beat her wings and scream her fear at him.  The pain, however was so consuming, that she was forced to stop, gasping with it.   As she panted, Wolf quietly spoke to her from as far away as he could. 

     “Greetings, air spirit.  Welcome to my home.   I will not harm you.  Do not be scared.”

 Gulping air, peering out of fear-widened eyes, Hawk spat out, “I see what your kind does to creatures - tearing and ripping and devouring.  Do not touch me, Wolf, or I will shred you with my talons!”

     Solemnly gazing at her, Wolf explained to Hawk how she came to be in his home.  He told her how he had watched, cleaning her wound daily with his own tongue.  He saw that she understood that he could have devoured her at any time and had left her unharmed; had, in fact, saved her life.  She thought on this as she spiraled back down into blackness.

     As the Sun began to slip into the night, Hawk stirred.  Plaintively she whispered, “I am so thirsty!”   Wolf did not know what he could do about it, but he knew she required nourishment of some kind.  Into the dusk he moved, running down a large field rat that he knew her kind ate.  Lips curled back in distaste, he hurried the meal to his den and laid it before her.  Seeing that she could not yet rise, he tore the flesh into bits and shoved them near her razor-edged beak.  He put the carcass near her so she could drink of the blood.  After a time, Hawk sank back into oblivion. 

     Wolf continued his vigil as Hawk came and went into the dark place.  After many cycles of the Sun, she stayed conscious and slept in a nearly normal phases.  During her lucid times, they spoke long and deep of things in the world, of thoughts in their minds, of feelings in their souls.  Respect for the strengths and lovely differences in their people grew strong between Hawk and Wolf.

     The moment came for Hawk to emerge from the safehaven of Wolf’s den.  Feeling reborn from a large, warm egg, she struggled to reach the sunlight.  Wolf understood that she had to do this herself, had to strengthen her wings with the effort.  For days, they emerged to enjoy the Sun’s healing powers and to feed.  Nights were spent in the womb of the Mother. 

     Wolf saw that soon Hawk would travel the winds again.  Saddened, he wondered if he would ever have this closeness with her again.  He knew that each creature was created for its unique purpose and way of life.  The ground was not Hawk’s way.  The air was not Wolf’s.  He kept these thoughts buried in his heart.  At night, he sometimes sang the feeling of aloneness to the moon and stars.  The echoes gave him no answers.

     Hawk became aware of her need to fly again.  The mere thought of it caused her blood to rise and her heart to dance.  As she readied herself, she knew she must speak of this to Wolf.  She did not know how he felt, only that she herself could never imagine not ever visiting Wolf again.  Somehow, the bond was so strong that it actually caused her pain to think of the coming separation. 

     Slowly, Hawk’s strength grew.  She embarked upon small flights, close to ground and Wolf’s den.  Eventually, she rose to sit on a boulder, then a tree limb.  Exchanging gazes, they each knew what must come next.  Wolf forced encouragement into his voice, asking her to once again dance on the air steps for him.  Reveling in his acceptance, she pirouetted and glided until she could hardly breathe.  Coming to a majestic landing at his side, Hawk glowed with her glory and power!  Wolf once again stood in awe of her. 

     Sensing Wolf’s heart-thoughts, Hawk asked if he would allow her to fly beside him as he ran in the meadow and across streams and along clear forest paths.  Eyes widening in the understanding that she did not intend them to part forever, Wolf gleefully led her around his domain.  When she tired, he had her ride on his massive back until they arrived at his den once more.  As dusk settled around them, she lifted into the tallest tree to rest for the night.  Wolf returned to his den alone. 

     Although they lived separately according to their nature, they reveled in the times of talking and traveling together.   Abruptly, however, Wolf disappeared.  Hawk looked for him, circling and screeling his name.  After seeing no trace of Wolf for three Suns, Hawk feared that he had met tragedy of his own.  Tenaciously, she continued to search, to hope, believing that her Dearest One would return.  Occasionally, she thought she caught a glimpse of him.  She left him small gifts of herself.    Wolf never took the gifts.  He never answered her screel.   

     With great distress, Hawk came to see that Wolf needed to go his own way.  She knew this was not a personal dislike of her.  They had shared too much to her for her to think that.  Perhaps one of his own kind claimed him in the eon-old ritual of mating.  The not knowing was difficult for Hawk.  Yet, she knew that to linger and mourn was not wise. 

     Hawk returned to their places of greatest happiness for a time.  Although harboring a faint hope, deep in her heart she knew Wolf would not likely return.   Great Spirit only knew if they would come together once again in a future time. 

     Ultimately, smiling at the delightful memories of their knowing one another, Hawk lifted into the sky, gliding up the air steps until she settled at great height to dance once more on the currents and sing her personal song of joy.   Now, however, her song had new verses.

 

© 2011 Jo Zapata


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

535 Views
Added on January 23, 2011
Last Updated on January 23, 2011

Author

Jo Zapata
Jo Zapata

Jefferson, TX



About
56-year-old 'girl' who is constantly frustrated to be trapped in this aging body. Single mother of three adult, formerly dysfunctional children. Former military, enlisted and officer, of ten years. .. more..

Writing
Hmmmm... Hmmmm...

A Poem by Jo Zapata


Heartlight Heartlight

A Poem by Jo Zapata