We Are Not Just Filipinos

We Are Not Just Filipinos

A Story by sweetgreen
"

for other nationality....this is something to ponder

"

Filipinos.... We are known thoughout the world on the various contribution we had made or on the service we have rendered. Filipinos are indeed very popular in either way around. Be it in our accomplishments or  even in our woes and fraud.

 

Let me refresh my history class. Who could ever forget the heroic gestures of Dr.Jose P. Rizal? How about Carlos P. Romulo who was known to be the first Asian President of the United Nations General Assembly? There is Angela Perez Baraquio, a 25 year old Physical Education teacher who was crowned Miss America in October 2000.From our glorious beauty titlist in the past: Ms. Gloria Diaz, Miss Universe 1969 and Ms. Margarita Moran who did it again in1973.

 

How about this Filipino - American who has made sure that the world's most powerful person was physically fit to do his work? Her name is Eleanor Mariano, a 47 year old physician and a top ranking officer of the US Navy and likewise the director of the White House medical unit attending to the health of the former President Bill Clinton. How about Brig. General Edward Soriano? He is the only Filipino to have attained the rank of major general in the US Armed Forces.

 

 Do you know Victor Franco Calanog who received the Thomas Gerrity Leadership Award , the highest honor given to a graduating MBA student by the Wharton School? How about Dr. Fe del Mundo, a world famous pediatrician? She is the first Asian to have entered the prestigious Hardvard University's School of Medicine.

 

Jose Garcia Villa  who is known to be  one of the world's finest contemporary poets.Lea Salonga, the Broadway Diva who charmed a crowd of foreign diplomats who gave her a standing ovation.

 

The Hollywood celebrities who have claimed that they have Filipino blood running in their veins : Dean Delvin, Rob Schneider, Lou Diamond Philips, Paolo Montalban, Tia Carrere and Ernie Reyes Jr. We are also very much proud of our Filipino singers who gained recognition in the international scene, Regine Velasquez who is considered as " Asia's songbird, Pilita Corales, Freddie Aguilar, Black Eyed Peas member Allan Pineda Lindo aka apl. de ap, Charice Pempengco and the latest Filipino -Canadian Youtube sensation Maria Aragon.

 

Of course we  couldn't dare to miss the only boxer in the world who has 7 titles in different division, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.

 

Filipinos are both a perfect blend of talents, skills and passion.

 

Beyond those notable accomplishment, Filipinos are also noted as the most admire workers in the world. We are dependable, honest and affordable employee. We always show dependability and dedication to work plus the fact that Filipinos has the ability to communicate with any nationality that speaks the English language.

 

Inspite of all that we have, we are still often looked down, abused and maltreated. Filipinos are innocents, willing to do everything to support the family. We indeed are weak and subtle when family matters are concerned.Indeed so emotional willing to risk one's life if it means saving the family from hunger.

 

Filipinos are charged of international drug trafficking, smuggling, murder, scam and whatever fraud there is ..... Try to think for moment, analyze .....ponder.... You will see that behind the every crime that Filipinos had committed lies the reality that they were bribed, tortured, and belittled. They were regarded as unimportant and disparage by Foreigners. Behind the every story of a Filipino crime,is the hidden truth of Foreign tyranny and oppression.

 

It has been centuries that we are deprived of our liberty, has been many decades that we are slaves of these foreign tyrants. Yet this generation has not yet free us from this oppression. We are still known as the Filipinos- the helper, the domestic, the servant, the mail to order brides, the poor and begging Juan.

Is it  not time enough for us to stand and be recognize . We should shout to the four corners of the world that " WE ARE NOT JUST FILIPINOS".

We are FILIPINOS and we should live with pride and dignity.

© 2011 sweetgreen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Congratulations, Kabayan! This is the second piece I've ever read which shows courage, pride, and dignity as a Filipino. I salute you for that.

Indeed "Filipinos are both a perfect blend of talents, skills and passion." I don't have to mention our past successes with our very talented, skilled and passionate fellowmen who lifted our country's name through the years (which you haven't mentioned because they're too many). The latest, we our very own Megan Young, as the first ever Filipino who was crowned Ms. World last night.

I'm so proud to be a Filipino. You're right. "We are FILIPINOS and we should live with pride and dignity. "
Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Congratulations, Kabayan! This is the second piece I've ever read which shows courage, pride, and dignity as a Filipino. I salute you for that.

Indeed "Filipinos are both a perfect blend of talents, skills and passion." I don't have to mention our past successes with our very talented, skilled and passionate fellowmen who lifted our country's name through the years (which you haven't mentioned because they're too many). The latest, we our very own Megan Young, as the first ever Filipino who was crowned Ms. World last night.

I'm so proud to be a Filipino. You're right. "We are FILIPINOS and we should live with pride and dignity. "
Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A beautifully truthful write...I truly enjoyed reading this for inspiration...it moved me. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Long have the Philapines been a terrority marker on the Super Powers' board of conquest, starting with Spain and ending with the United States. So easy for other people to look down on a conquered people, as cheap hired help. Having worked with many Filipinos, I know they are hard workers, willing to put in the long hours needed to support their families, both here and back home.

To me, a person's nationality is secondary, to their ability to get along with the people around them. This is the way, any nationality should be measured and respected by.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

330 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 2, 2011
Last Updated on March 3, 2011

Author

sweetgreen
sweetgreen

Cebu, VII, Philippines



About
Hello, I'm Green,an English teacher here in the Philippines. I love writing. It has been my passion. I love to share what I creatively write to others, hoping also that I could learn other techniques .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The KING The KING

A Poem by ANTO


luscious luscious

A Poem by seath


Mouth Walk Mouth Walk

A Poem by Belle