Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Hazel Hyacinth
"

"No."

"

Two months later, Jasper went to his usual night shift at the bar. He happily working knowing that he got to come home to the love of his life. This was every night, though. His excitement was nothing new.

When Jasper got home from his night of bartending, he opened the front door and instantly heard Rosemary yell, “Jasper!”

He ran into the house and up to his bedroom, and Rosemary lay on the bed, out of breath. Jasper ran to her side, took her hand, and asked, “Dearest, what’s the matter?”

“The baby’s coming,” she softly said. Jasper dropped to his knees and kissed her hand.

“My dearest love, I’m so sorry I left you alone for so long. I knew I shouldn’t have done that.”

“No, it’s okay, Jasper,” she sighed heavily. “It’s okay. I’m just happy you’re here.”

“It’s going to be okay, Rosemary,” Jasper cooed. “You’re a strong girl. You can do this.”

She turned her head and smiled at him. He smiled back.

“We’re going to have a little baby of our own,” said Jasper happily. Rosemary replied, “Yes we are, sweetheart.”


Twelve hours rolled by. Something was wrong. The baby was coming out the wrong way. Jasper was scared stiff, for he knew the worst of what could happen. He tried to persuade her to let him drive her to the hospital, but it hurt when she moved. Jasper didn’t own a telephone, so he couldn’t call 9-1-1. They were alone. Rosemary’s screams echoes throughout the house, and Jasper’s tears dripped on the old hard-wood floor.

“I can’t do this, Jasper!” Rosemary sobbed. Jasper kissed her pale cheek and said softly, “Ssh, Rosemary. There’s nothing you can do but try.”

Suddenly, Rosemary gasped loudly, then shrieked. She began fighting for breath, but a few seconds later, she calmed.

“I love you, Jasper,” she said in a hushed voice. “Never forget that.”

Jasper’s eyes widened. He bent over her and asked, frightened, “Wait, what? Rosemary, my love.”

She looked up at him and smiled weakly. She whispered, “Thank you for the amazing life you’ve given me.”

Jasper began to weep as he whimpered, “Oh my one true love, thank you. Thank you for making my life worth living. Thank you for giving your life for my baby.”

Rosemary too began to cry silently.

“I’m sorry, Jasper,” she breathed. Jasper softly said, “No, Rosemary. Don’t apologize for anything. Please don’t.”

Rosemary took a deep breath and said, “Our baby, Jasper.”

Jasper whimpered, then gently picked up the baby Rosemary had somehow managed to deliver. The baby girl was not breathing, but she was still warm and soft in Jasper’s hands. Jasper stared at the baby with wide, devastated eyes, then he kissed his baby’s chest where her heart was.

“I will always love you, my sweet baby girl,” Jasper whispered. Rosemary whimpered, “Jasper, our baby.”

With tears streaming down his face, Jasper gently handed the baby to Rosemary, who rested the baby on her chest. A single tear dripped down Rosemary’s cheek. Jasper bent over Rosemary and whispered sweetly, “Close your eyes, Rosemary. Close your beautiful eyes. Don’t be afraid. It will all be okay. Just relax and know that I love you.”

Rosemary closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Jasper pressed his nose to hers, just like he had always done, and he began to slowly sing, “Close your eyes, and I’ll kiss you. Tomorrow I’ll miss you. Remember I’ll always be true.”

Rosemary altered the lyrics of the song to, “And while I’m away, I’ll think of you every day, and I’ll send all my loving to you.”

Jasper gently kissed his love, savoring every moment of kissing her for the very last time. Then, he nuzzled her cheek, and Rosemary’s last exhale stirred Jasper’s blonde hair. His whole body shaking, Jasper looked wide-eyed at Rosemary.

“No,” he gasped. “No, no, no.”

As he began to sob, Jasper’s voice grew louder and louder.

“No! Rosemary, no!” he shrieked as his tears dripped on Rosemary’s cheeks. “Rosemary!”

He lay his head on her chest, and he bawled like a baby. His hair was draped over his baby’s tiny head, and he felt his heart shatter like porcelain.


© 2015 Hazel Hyacinth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on July 10, 2015
Last Updated on July 11, 2015


Author

Hazel Hyacinth
Hazel Hyacinth

Charleston, SC



About
Hello there! If you are checking this out, I know already that we'd get along. I am fourteen years old, but don't let my age fool you. I write constantly, and you can ask anybody about that. While I w.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Hazel Hyacinth


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Hazel Hyacinth


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Hazel Hyacinth