The Dark Side

The Dark Side

A Story by Jennifer Paige
"

About Addiction

"

As we walk on through life the expectations others have for us are usually set to high to reach. Judgment is passed amongst each other as we fall climbing the mountain of success. Some of us will never get past the checkpoints we need to, to reach these expectations. We need to shoot for the goals we have set for ourselves to enjoy the feeling of achieving them. If we go on our life journey trying to please others we will never be truly happy. We go through all the pain and suffering life throws our way then trip and fall on our way up. So we subject ourselves to certain substances that lead us off track and help us slip away from reality. We bury the heartache in dark cold places so we don’t have to face it right away. It is so easy to believe that not feeling these emotions will help us continue our journey. In all reality it pushes us in the opposite direction. We have this curiosity about the dark side and what it would be like to experience something completely different than the lifestyle we are used to. We were taught right from wrong growing up. The unexplainable excitement we get when thinking about crossing that line, overcomes the feeling we get when praised for doing something right. So we decide to test the waters and most of us like what we have discovered. We continue to step further into the darkness to see what else we might enjoy. We start drowning ourselves along the way as these discoveries, we may not think affect our lives the way we were told would, weigh us down to a point that is more difficult than you can imagine to come back from. Some of us start to realize the negativity that presents itself the further we go down this path and decide to change our ways. We slowly stop drowning and make it back to face our emotions and fears while others are weaker and believe the struggles in life could be fixed by what we have discovered on this path. Obstacles in life to help us become stronger, sometimes lead us to cross this line. We get lost along the way and get comfortable with our surroundings. We forget about what Is most important as we become blind to who we are becoming. We let go of all cares we had at one time because selfishness takes over. We forget who we are or used to be while the darkness creeps it’s way in. Shame sets in as we realize we have allowed ourselves to make the mistakes that push us into these holes that are hard to escape from. We were taught not to let ourselves get sucked into these negative holes that steal our emotions and destroy our souls, but the numbness that comes along with this lifestyle is hard to let go of. The struggles we go through on this journey should give us strength to grow from our mistakes, not lead us the opposite way. If you come to this realization you will find the strength to figure out a way to overcome these fears that surround you. You have to remember that you are the storyteller of your life and you are the only one who can change the outcome, but you have to want the change. If you have the strength to notice you are becoming weaker with every step you take on the path of losing yourself completely, than you have the strength to dig up what you have buried and face the feelings that lay deep down inside of yourself. You are strong and can do whatever you put your mind to. Do not regret any decisions you have made on your journey because it has made you into the person you are today. Beautiful!

© 2014 Jennifer Paige


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is well written, so good job.
I like a personal piece as it lets you understand the writer and you can relate to them on that personal level, feel their pain and struggle I guess.
Maybe break it a bit in paragraphs so it's easier to read is my only suggestion. But overall well done!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really liked it. Dont forget to indent your paragraphs though. I liked how personal your writing was in this. It takes much strength to be able to write like this so awesome job. Keep writing and ill keep reading :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Such a powerful subject! Your writing is so magnificently constructed. I was completly in your vivid imagenary world...amazing story telling and from the well you came out from its not everyone's cup of tea. Proud of you my friend and please keep writing, not everyone have such strong will...no one can hell them better then you. Simply great work and thank you for sharing...


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is well written, so good job.
I like a personal piece as it lets you understand the writer and you can relate to them on that personal level, feel their pain and struggle I guess.
Maybe break it a bit in paragraphs so it's easier to read is my only suggestion. But overall well done!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very spiffy. Writing is a great outlet for suffering, and all the yuckiness splats out on the page, yet, it flows and is meaningful and makes great prose!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this inspirational and honest poem! Best I've read today!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was really well written and I can tell it comes from a good place.
I would only recommend that you block it into paragraphs for ease of reading.
This is inspiring and I hope you continue to write more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer Paige

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you read and reviewed it. I Will definitely return the .. read more
This was very well written, I enjoyed reading. I wish all the best to you. I would love to read more of your writing. It's truly amazing. Thanks for sharing, keep up the great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer Paige

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!!!
thank you guys:) it means a lot

Posted 10 Years Ago


I found this very inspiring and I must say that it was very well written because it would be lying if I didn't. I think that I would like to read more from you. Keep writing! stay awesome!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing this, it has given me hope to do something hard!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

877 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 23, 2014
Last Updated on May 23, 2014

Author

Jennifer Paige
Jennifer Paige

Bloomfield, NM



About
I am 9 months clean from Heroine :) more..

Writing