Behind the Mask

Behind the Mask

A Poem by G. K. Bostic
"

This is my attempt at a triolet.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What lies behind the lovely mask you wear?

Are you broken, torn asunder, filled with pain?

Are you angry...are you lonely...do you care?

What lies behind the lovely mask you wear?

Do you bear a heavy burden you can't share?

Are there moments that you think you'll go insane?

What lies behind the lovely mask you wear?

Are you broken, torn asunder, filled with pain...

© 2011 G. K. Bostic


Author's Note

G. K. Bostic
This is a triolet, and I don't know how successful I was with it. I like to play with different forms, but the ones that require repetition don't always flow as easily as others like the sonnet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's very good! I think most of us hide behind mask!
We never know what most people are going through because they keep themselves locked behind a mask!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked it! The flow was perfect!

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ron
I like it. Oscar Wilde loved masks as well as the need to tell lies and how to develope it into an art form. Interestingly when the truth behind the mask is revealed the face becomes less lovely. Very good theme and nice poem. I keep a box full of masks handy, just in case!

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's not easy to write in a prescribed form, but you are doing it well. And, what you say in this one is so true...we all wear a mask of some kind, don't you think? So often a smile hides the tears or the pain. This is really good Gloria.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Its not a mask..its my face, but yes I get that a lot.
I'm not even being funny, this speaks DIRECTLY to everyone who is hiding, and wears a smile but is broken to pieces.
We all have that heavy burden, that goddamn albatross that swings from our necks and your questions ring to anyone who wants to rid themselves of it.

b-a-utiful

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think this form would defiantly be one of a hard nature to write. That being because it is so short and having to use the repetitions. There is less room to create dialogue. I think you have done well! I find that many are stuck in the free form track, and don't try to put their pieces into form, which leaves them blind or hindered to have the respect for successfully putting a piece together so it fits the rules of the prospected form being expressed.

Nice Write!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


i think it was the Japanese who used to say every person has 3 masks - one to be seen by anyone, one to be seen by the loved ones, and one to be seen only by himself. i guess you described perfectly the third mask :).

Posted 13 Years Ago


nice work G ...to seek the visual behind the mask...lovely, lonely, could be either, so many thoughts behind that hidden face...

nice...

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J.M
A beautiful piece which really suits the format - excellently written, good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
woo nice to see more people doing these fun little triolets!! I hadn't seen any on here (hence mine being on the blog still haha) - a great attempt! carefully picked lines which is what its all about!! nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

674 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2011
Last Updated on January 22, 2011
Tags: poem, triolet, masked

Author

G. K. Bostic
G. K. Bostic

PA



About
Retired Special Education Teacher & Supervisor, Writer of poetry and Nanowrimo novel, wife, mother, grandmother, and lover of country. I can be found at www.gkbostic.com Update: Since I wrote this .. more..

Writing
Unseen Unseen

A Poem by G. K. Bostic



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Broken

A Poem by OT