Wisdom of the Aged

Wisdom of the Aged

A Story by Mari' Emeraude

Wisdom of the Aged 

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the elderly. The wisdom of the aged can be found in these folks if only given the chance. They carry with them a treasure trove of stories, and just sitting down and listening to them can be as rewarding as losing oneself in a fascinating book.
      I had the pleasure of working in an alternative care facility for several years, then going into the private homes of clients to assist them in their everyday living. The tales and advice I came away with enriched my life tremendously.
    I loved visiting with one woman whose adventures kept me mesmerized with tales of the Wild West. She was a singer in a saloon and as she guided me through the years, I imagined her sitting on the piano; her frilly petticoats piled high above her stockinged knee, tapping her worn leather boot through the air to keep time with the music. The strong aroma of cigars and whiskey swirled around my mind, and I drank in every word as she told me of her 'conquests' with the cowboys who rode through. One lady was a nurse for a former world heavyweight boxer, and another was a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse, complete with outhouse and hitching posts for the horses.
     I was so lucky to have crossed paths with these precious people. It's such a sad end for some when they are stuffed away in a cold, dimly lit room just waiting to be rescued from the torment of loneliness. Though they may be physically weak and frail, they still feel the painful sting of abandonment with full strength. They needn’t be pushed aside as society goes on to live their lives but instead be lifted up, revered, and respected for their worth. This may be us people...all of us one day. Now excuse me while I go call my gramma!

© 2024 Mari' Emeraude


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a wonderful story.. more than based on fact. You brought the places and even mores so, the people to life. Then finished off with mention of your gramma! Like you I love the elderly, calling them 'walking history'. Even though a few might not be able to get around or remember everything, the facts they can remember are fascinating, coming as is said, 'straight from the horse's mouth'. Your lady and the people along with her reads fascinating, full of what must have beem a real life, maybe a hard one.

No, NO, nobody - least of all the elderly, should be left alone. It should be described as a criminal offence to ignore/forget/assume that getting older .. older.. older.. means a person is worthless. Helpless yes, but worthless.. never.

Posted 1 Week Ago


Mari' Emeraude

1 Week Ago

I think they are just full of wisdom and hold a treasure trove of stories just waiting for somebody .. read more
emmajoygreen

1 Week Ago

Yes, a pleasure
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Daz
This made me think of my Grandparents in heaven whom I still think of and see in my dreams. I appreciate that you remind us not to take our elders for granted while they're here with us.

Posted 2 Weeks Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2024
Last Updated on August 15, 2024
Tags: aging

Author

Mari' Emeraude
Mari' Emeraude

Denver, CO



About
I am a writer, journalist, and poet from Denver, Co who remarks on my fulfilling life in rich, poetic (and sometimes humorous) ways. more..

Writing
Squeal Squeal

A Story by Mari' Emeraude