Bully

Bully

A Poem by Mari' Emeraude

Thinking back when I was young
I still recall your bitter tongue
you guys weren’t fooling anyone
behind those plastic smiles.

She felt the daggers in her back
and as she passed I heard you laugh
I’m sure she felt the aftermath
of your relentless wiles.

Your loyal cronies all stood by
and watched as you demoralized
and tortured her with callous lies
she choked and ran away.

I saw her crying in the queue
and I just didn’t know what to do
I felt as much to blame as you
because I’d looked away.

A football game, perhaps a dance
I’d meet her if by happenstance
and hoping for a second chance
to fix things, I would try.

Years have passed I think of her
I wonder how her life endured
all the pain from you and yours

…and now it’s me who cries

© 2023 Mari' Emeraude


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

we can never forget those times we should have acted and didn't....regrets are palpable.

I was just talking with someone today about that...saving a man...he was in a pit working and the side of the pit was all rock and it collapsed on this man...He had already had a heart attack before...
Two of us just jumped in and cleared the rocks away...ones we could never lift ordinarily...
but you just do what you do when you have to...
and if you don't....you regret it forever.
j.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

How sad, when this happens to someone close; or even to notice it happening around you. The very last few words, about it now being the writer who "cries" could be deliberately ambiguous. Either, she now cries for her bullied friend from the past; or having since found herself a victim of bullying too..? It's possible that the person described, wasn't necessarily a direct friend. She might have been just a fellow classmate, for example? Often, bullies have some form of weakness; which they use as an excuse; to take out upon other people. They tend to be cowardly too, without even the bravery to tackle their own weakness or weaknesses. This is quite an emotional read, and perhaps brave for the writer to share; if based upon experiences upon actually having been bullied herself..? Of course, only the writer knows for sure.

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


You really have hit the emotion button with your words, Mari. The past can catch up with some people, not always as deeply as thought but then, age carries guilt along with many other pains. That feeling of being everyone's whipping boy... true, dear Lord, how true it can be. Strange how groups love to work together to drown a person's will. But is best to think why each involved is unable to stand alone? What is the matter with people who spend time behaving like children in the playground! Your writing has always been honest and raw - in the finest positive way. Many thanks for being you.. ..

Years have passed I think of her
I wonder how her life endured
all the pain from you and yours

…and now it’s me who cries'

Crying now is allowable.. and repentance if nothing else. A fine write.

Lost and found!

Posted 3 Months Ago


we can never forget those times we should have acted and didn't....regrets are palpable.

I was just talking with someone today about that...saving a man...he was in a pit working and the side of the pit was all rock and it collapsed on this man...He had already had a heart attack before...
Two of us just jumped in and cleared the rocks away...ones we could never lift ordinarily...
but you just do what you do when you have to...
and if you don't....you regret it forever.
j.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

These words grab me by the heart, for they are so true. They say bullies are that way because they, themselves, are bullied. Maybe that's true, but I don't think it matters when you or someone you care about is the victim. Because I was one, I always root for the underdog.

Posted 4 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

4 Months Ago

Oh, so sorry to hear, and perhaps the only thing worse is being a parent of a child who is bullied. .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Daz
This is a very important topic you write about here. There's so much rhetoric about gun control these days. I think we would all be surprised how much better things would get if we all treated each other better. Unfortunately it's easier said than done. Thank you for this.

Posted 4 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

4 Months Ago

It's just my penname, but thank you.
Daz

4 Months Ago

Oh ok. It's pretty.
Mari' Emeraude

4 Months Ago

Thank you, and yeah, I think it does mean emerald :)
The empathy is tangible here. Self-respect and respect of others is so important to developing strong character.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I absolutely hate bullies. I was bullied and I regret not kicking some a*s. It wouldve helped them. And me too.

Posted 4 Months Ago


Franky

4 Months Ago

My dad gave me advice. I had told him about how I was bullied on my little league team. He chall.. read more
Mari' Emeraude

4 Months Ago

I was bullied for a short time when I started a new school (as a lot of kids are,) but I stood up t.. read more
Franky

4 Months Ago

Oh my.... funny stuff! Good for you!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
mou
I wonder do these bullies ever care to reflect. Sometimes, things are hard to swallow. And it is harder to sabotage the memories. I remember my engineering days when I too witnessed some not so good cultures. The lament and tears can be understood.
- mou

Posted 5 Months Ago


Mari' Emeraude

4 Months Ago

I've often wondered that too; if in their adult years they develop a sense of empathy somewhere. One.. read more
Holy kwap! The narrative of this poem is powerful! And that last line is killer! Very relatable, much enjoyed! Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

545 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2018
Last Updated on December 21, 2023
Tags: bullying

Author

Mari' Emeraude
Mari' Emeraude

Denver, CO



About
I am a writer, journalist, and poet from Denver, Co who remarks on my fulfilling life in rich, poetic (and sometimes humorous) ways. more..

Writing
Bastion Bastion

A Story by Mari' Emeraude



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Kiss The Kiss

A Poem by Mark