15. The Approaching Curve

15. The Approaching Curve

A Chapter by Sarah
"

Song by Rise Against. Roxy comes around to Drew, but Drew is hesitant on the reasons why. Shane has an offer for Drew. But nothing prepares Drew for what he meets with his brother.

"
 

I was excited that I would have a whole week to my self while my parents and sister went to the wedding. I was a bit sad that I couldn’t see my extended family or rather those of them I liked but it wouldn’t matter because I wouldn’t have to follow any stupid rules and I could come and go as I wanted. My mother was more against leaving me alone but my father trusted me some.

“Remember no girls over, no parties and your curfew is still intact mister. I will call you every night to make sure you’re in the house.” My father sighed; my mother had been laying out ground rules for the last twenty minutes.

“Molly, let the boy be. He will behave and we can trust him. Right son?” I snapped out of my thoughts on all the things I could get up to. I turned to my parents.

“Yeah sure.” Was all I could say having it be probably the best answer. My mother didn’t look convinced but my father dragged her out of the house. He got into their van and then he yelled out the window.

“Be careful with the coffee pot.” I thought that was a totally odd thing to say since I never drank coffee. I shrugged and took a look at the coffee pot. I went to push it back and heard the grinding of something. I lifted the pot up and noticed the spare keys to the Camaro. I laughed my head off; my Dad didn’t leave me stranded after my mother took the main set. I walked out into the garage and noticed it was a total mess. I looked around for the filters I had bought for the car to replace and found that I couldn’t find them. I knew no one was going to come around so in the hot day I stripped down to my sports bra and shorts and began working on cleaning the garage up. I put all the tools back on the wall in there proper place and found out that we had more parts for the car then I had known about. I started throwing useless boxes out and found the old radio of my grandfathers and got it working before I continued. I had finally everything cleaned up when the out side late summer air had reached about ninety. I went back into the kitchen careful not to track any oil I had on my flip flops against my mothers tile floor and grabbed the carton of orange juice figuring I could finish it off before they all go home I for went the glass and took a swig before I took it with me to the garage. I popped the hood and began to work on changing filters. I looked up when I heard my tools fall. I gradually slipped my shirt back on. I walked around the car and saw an embarrassed Roxy.

“Sorry Drew.” I just shrugged and went back to working on the car.

“What are you doing here stranger?” I hadn’t seen her for two weeks since I last tried to reason with her.

“A friend can’t come by?”

“Is that what we are?” It came out a bit harsher than I meant it. The heat was getting to me. I put down my tools and looked up at her.

“Sorry bout that. Come in it might be a bit cooler.” I took off my flip-flops and left them by the door as I went over to the sink to wash the oil off of my hands and arms.

“You look a bit different.” I had started a work out program for my self since the shot left me with more energy than I knew what to deal with.

“Been working out.” I went into the freezer and saw there was a carton of ice cream, perfect for a milk shake.

“Milk shake?” I turned to her and noticed I had snapped her out of thought.

“Sure.” I set about making them and she began to help.

“Why did you come by Roxy?” I asked as we made our way upstairs. I had to change my shorts before I sat down, just in case they had stuff on them. I walked into my closet leaving her in my room and changed into a pair of loose basketball shorts.

“I wanted to say I am sorry.” I came back out and she sat on my bed.

“What for Roxy, you couldn’t be with me and I understand.” She placed her cup on my nightstand.

“I like you Drew a lot, I know I haven’t shown it but I do and the more I think about it you are still the same guy I met.” I sighed. I knew Kate talked to her.

“Kate talked to you huh?” She laughed and I found my self slightly angered by this.

“Yeah she was very colorful. She loves you that’s for sure.” I sat down at my computer.

“Look what ever game you two are playing I’m not jumping on.”

“What?” I rolled over to her and held her hand.

“I don’t want you to be with me out of pity or consolation or even be forced into it, you made your opinion clear.” I looked into her emerald eyes.

“Is that what you think this is?” Her voice sounded hurt and her shoulders slumped a bit.

“What am I supposed to think? You haven't talked to me in two weeks. Now all of a sudden you come around and want to be in a relationship with me? I care about you Roxy but I am also not stupid to just jump into things.” I really did want to be with her but I wanted to make sure this was on her own accord.

“Maybe I should just go.” She stood and made her way out the door. I heard the front door slam and I knew I was being stupid. I went to the garage and got into the car and followed her.

“Roxy, its a long walk at least let me give you a ride.” I stopped the car and she got in. I began to drive her home.

“Look Rox give me time, we will get back into the swing of things. I just don't like jumping into things.” She stared out the window and just continued to drive.

“How much time?” I looked over to her suddenly, it had been ten minutes since either one of us last spoke.

“Not to long hopefully.” I said with a slight chuckle.

“As decisive as ever.” Her tone was filled with mirth.

“I just want to make sure that what you feel is your feelings not Kate's, I know how she feels.” We both fell silent not really wanting to address that the person not with us had feelings still for me.

“So dinner tomorrow night then?” I laughed.

“My place and I will pick you up.” I looked at her and smiled. We arrived in her driveway and she went to get out but she placed a soft kiss on my cheek. My grin widened if even possible. She got out of the car and I slowly drove away. I drove into town to find some food with the money my mother left me for food. I parked a block away and decided to go for a walk. The sun was bright even when I slipped a pair of shades on. I began walking down the street and saw a few of the guys I have made friends with. I stopped out side the restaurant they were about to head into.

“Hey Drew!” I walked over to the group.

“Guys. Whats up?” I always was slightly nervous one day they would pick up on my voice not being as low as theirs.

“We are having a game against, Hawkfield high just as a pick up game Tuesday want to join?” Shane asked. He was the captain of the varsity team. He was slightly taller than me and had short spiky chestnut hair.

“Sure, I don't see why not.” He clapped me on the back and I began to walk with the guys.

“So we could use you at first you ever play much there?” It would be my first try at a real baseball game rather than softball.

“Yeah.” We chatted baseball until I remembered why I came into town.

“Hey guys I got to get going, had some stuff I wanted to do on the Camaro so I will see ya Tuesday.” They all chorused their goodbyes.

“Hey Drew, I will bring you a jersey and stuff around tomorrow.” I nodded to Shane and walked off to the super market for some food. I had no idea what Roxy would eat or like.

“Hey Drew whats up?”

“Food. What will you want to eat?”

“I get to choose?”

“Partially.” I heard her hmm and haw.

“I could go for some good barbeque.” Man did I like this girl, barbeque was right up my alley. I went to get some ribs to grill and make her a dinner she would never forget. Once I got what I needed I went back to my car, there would be some difficulties in playing baseball. I drove to the hospital and when I went to my brothers room there were tons of doctors in his room. I immediately thought the worst but when I went in my brothers eyes were open. Was he awake? A doctor pushed me from the room and when the last one filed out he had a grim look about him.

“I have good news and bad.” I looked to him wishing it was my parents here instead of me.

“Your brother has woken but has no memory of who he was or is.” I was shocked.

“Will he ever regain his memory?” The doctor sighed.

“I can't say Drew, the mind is a tricky thing that even us doctors don't fully understand.” I nodded.

“Can I go see him?” The doctor stepped aside and I slowly walked into the room to see him looking around.

“Hey Declan.” He looked over to me and I instantly knew he didn't know who I was.

“Who are you?”

“What do you remember?” I sat down on a chair next to his bed, I let the feminine voice show since he had only knew Jan.

“Lights, bright lights.” The night of the crash.

“You were in a car accident. We were coming home at night and you wanted to show me how to be man. You thought you could out run the car but you couldn't.” I choked up at the memory thinking about that night, the sounds, the fear.

“Why can't I feel my legs?” He began to panic and I got up from my chair and went over to him to try to calm him.

“You can't walk.” That did nothing for his panic, his heart rate monitor went off and the doctor rushed into the room and put him to sleep. The way my brother thrashed helplessly on that bed before they knocked him out.

“What happened?” Asked the doctor in a harsh tone.

“I just started talking to him and he noticed he couldn't move and freaked out.” The doctor sighed and led me from the room. I walked numbly to my car and drove home. I called a person whom I never thought I would ask for comfort.

“Hello?” The voice sounded tired and I looked at the clock it was almost ten o'clock.

“Can you come over tonight?” I said not bothering to cover up my voice.

“Whats wrong Drew its late.” I sighed.

“Ya know what never mind.” I clicked the phone shut and entered my darkened house just as the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Drew how are you, I am glad to see you are in the house by curfew.” I sighed it was my mother 'checking' up in me.

“Look mom I would love to know how the festivities are going but I am tired, I was going to go take a shower and go to bed, I will talk to you in the morning.” I shut the phone and put away the food. I went up stairs and started the shower on as hot as I could get it. I let the hot water scald my body and just tried to wash the pain away. I stepped out of the shower and heard a knock on the front door. I slipped some clothes on before I walked down stairs to see who was here at elven at night.



© 2011 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 7, 2011


Author

Sarah
Sarah

Canada



Writing
Moment. Moment.

A Poem by Sarah


... ...

A Poem by Sarah


Mistakes Mistakes

A Story by Sarah