Last Winters Romance

Last Winters Romance

A Story by Zachary Reaves
"

I'm weard I enjoy writing anything. I wrote a romance story... I guess it's ok.

"

 THE BEGINNING OF… SOMETHING MORE

Zac Reaves

 
The snow falls gently on this night. Drifting this way and that. Uncertain, it seems, of its own path. There’s fog tonight as well, thin and brilliant in the street lamps. That same fog covers the whole town persuading the towns’ inhabitants to stay home next to the fire and drink warm cups of chocolate or tea. It seems as though the whole town is silent, peaceful. Two young adults are walking through the fog and snow enjoying the sheer beauty of the night. They do not care about the cold that surrounds them, the boy (for as is the way of most things, there is a boy and a girl) in fact revels in it. Welcoming the cold and the snow and the love he has for it all. The girl is bundled tightly she is cold but he had managed somehow to get her to go for a walk. They walk side by side but do not touch, for reasons the boy has yet to understand, but that never stopped him pursuing the things that he cared about in life before.
They walk along the streets, looking for houses with Christmas decorations and lights. The night gets a little colder and the girl shivers. The sidewalk gets narrow for a few feet and they close enough for her to feel the warmth from the boy. Though it is only brief warmth, it is comforting and welcoming. Once the side walks widens again they widen the space between them. The boy would have tried to make a move on the girl had he not known that she was in a relationship, one of the fabled long distance relationships that never seem to work out. His exact thoughts on the girl are muddled because of the fact that he’s been crushing on her for over a year and she hadn’t realized until recently. It’s ok though, in the boys mind nothing has to happen, especially not on a night like this. For just a brief moment the moon finds a hole in the clouds and the whole town lights with its light. The mists and the snow glow brilliant white and the boy stops dead in his tracks caught by the beauty of where they are. Standing on a side walk next to a lake surrounded by fog and falling snow, the girl turns to look the boy and ask why he stopped, when she does she wrapped up in a hug by a very exuberant boy.
“Isn’t this place wonderful?” he says loud and full of laughter. The hug was warm and inviting, all she thinks to say is
“It’s cold, can we go home?” it catches the boy off guard and as the moon fades the joy he felt at hugging her in the moon light fades with it. Just before the moon is gone something catches his eye, a glint in the moon light. He walks over to where it was curious about what he might find. He gets there and has to search for a second before he finds the shiny metal object. It’s freezing because of the temperature of the ground it lay on, and when he picks it up he discovers that it’s attached to a chain. Tied to the chain is a piece of paper. On it was writ “this was for the one I loved, however she didn’t want me. I see now that its not destined for love but for someone else to remember to be friends and enjoy that much.”
“Who do you think it belonged too?” the boy asked.
“I don’t know but it seems sad. I don’t think that the person who put it there wants to have it back.” She replied
On the chain was a locket like box that opened up to reveal a short poem:

Tomarrow comes
To reveal something new,
Remember the good things
And those who are good to you
 
 
“Wow,” the boy says, it’s stopped snowing while they read the inscription, he takes the locket and cups it in his hands and begins to blow warm air in to it his hands. He blows three times and by the third the locket is warm to the touch. After that he unclasps the chain and puts it around the girls neck. At first she stiffens but relaxes as he moves back after securing the chain. The air gets warmer and the bitter cold has disappeared.
“So I guess back to the college?” the boy inquires.
“Hmmm I think we have time to walk a little longer” she says ands starts walking the opposite direction as the college. The boy smiles and walks in her direction. The fog clears after a bit to reveal that the clouds are gone and the sky is brilliant with moon and stars.


Love: Unrequited

Zac Reaves

 
How much fun the dog was having. Bounding through snow piles and smiling (as much as dogs could smile). His boy was home and he had brought a girl with him. The dog liked girls as much as boy did and made a point to lick each of them and drool and jump and play. Though he knew not to jump he couldn’t help it. It was just so wonderful when his boy came home that he would gladly sit in the bath tub. He’d even take a bath in the tub if it meant that his boy would be home soon. Oh how amazing was it to go for a walk with his boy? Mom and Dad (though they were in fact his boys’ parents) walked him, sure, but they never went off the road, nor would they take very long walks. They just went to a spot and stayed there till the dog did his business and then it was time to go home. HOW BORING!?!? The dog would always think. But his boy almost never only took him to a spot. If he did the dogs’ boy was sure to make it up to him later as well as give him a bone when they got back home.
Today the walk was good and long and though it was slow it allowed the dog time to sniff everywhere and jump in every snow pile and… oops he’d forgotten an important thing to do in the snow. At this thought the dog promptly fell to one side and rolled onto his back, twisting, shuffling, arcing this way and that making sure to get every inch of his back simultaneously scratched and covered in snow. When he got up he saw his boy laughing and patting his legs with both hands. That meant that the boy was going to pet him!! HURRAY!! Bounding over to his boy the dog makes one excited circle around the boy and the girl, and then stops next to his boy to receive pets. Ooohhh, and scratches behind the ear, no one does it like his boy and the dog loves him for it so. When his boy stops the dog catches scent of something nearby and leaps to where the scent permeates from. This causes the leash to tighten around the boy and the girl and much like a very well known Disney movie they are drawn close together. Though they had been careful thus far not to touch, they couldn’t help but grab onto each other for support, getting them close enough to feel the warmth of each others breathe on their cheeks. They look into each others eyes for a sec and then reality kicks back in.
Startled they draw back and untangle from the leash. The sun was starting to go down it’s swift track to darkness and the dog had returned yielding nothing interesting from the scent but burs in his coat so the boy decides: “Lets go home and make a fire, what do you say Marvel?” an excited and overjoyed look comes over the dogs face, not because of the going home part but because of the fact that his boy would make a fire, put on a movie and rub the dogs’ chest. The one thing that his boy did that he loved most was about to happen and at that moment the dog couldn’t possibly love his boy any more.
 


THE RAIN
 
Zac Reaves
 
It’s raining, not very hard but enough to give mood to the night. The wind picks the drops out of the air carrying them off their vertical course. A sound is made by the drops when they hit the ground and the various surfaces of his parents’ property. That sound is what the boy loves most, as far as other things he loves he is slowly coming to realize what or who they are. A flicker of lightning illuminates the porch for a moment and widens his girlfriends’ brilliant eyes in shock. The dog by there side nuzzles in a little closer, though neither of them realize it. The rain clouds are lower to the ground and the lightning makes it ever so much more spectacular.
The boy is trying to make her smile. It’s not very hard and most of the time he makes her smile without knowing it. But tonight in the rain and wind, she cries…

 
“I don’t want you to cry” he says plaintively “not tonight, or the rest of this week. We still have each other now that’s good enough… isn’t it?” the girl continues to cry while she leans into him for a hug.
“I’m leaving soon but I can’t stop thinking about you. You’ve turned out to be the writer geek that I’ve always wanted. I-” but before she can say what was on her mind another bout of lightning erupts followed by a billow of thunder. The dog puts a paw on her lap and reaches up to lick her face.
“Hey!” the boy exclaims “that’s my woman you are licking and I intend to kiss her!” a glee in the boys voice made the dogs look at him when his boy speaks to him. The boy pushes the dog out of the girls lap and leans in for a kiss. As they are kissing the dog gets low to the ground and growls playfully; “Just a second” the boy says and pets the on the head as he kisser his woman again, long and deep. The chimes on the porch ring out, creating music on the wind as it picks up. The sound is beautiful the boy thinks and he has a beautiful woman. His dog doesn’t believe his for a second and jumps on them. “OK! Ok, I get the picture you want attention.”
“Can we give him attention inside?” the girl asks even though she is enjoying the moment now as well. “I want to curl next to you on the couch and watch TV.”
“Can we watch Cartoons?” the boy asks exuberantly. Smiling the girl thinks yes he’s still very much a boy but I’m falling in love with him all the same. “Yeah we can watch what ever you want.”
“OH Man I love the rain”, he says “and my parents, and my dog, and this place….” While he says this he stands up taking the girls hand the walks out from under the awning into the rain just before they open the door he stops. Drops of rain splatter on his head and he turns to her “and I love you” he whispers into her ear and wraps his arms around her. She sighs and hugs him back.
“I love you too, and that’s what keeps making me-” she starts to say but is interrupted by the boy.
“Shhh, it’ll be ok baby. Just for tonight at least lets pretend there is no tomorrow and be happy.” And with that he opens the door and they go inside for the night.
 
The rain continues to fall.


THE LAST TIME WE SPOKE

Zac Reaves

 
It’s a bitterly cold night: they lie inside on a bed watching TV.
The boy is trying to get her to stay with him. Not in a physical sense of the word but in an emotional state. They had fallen in love over the summer and then been torn apart by distance. She moved to college in a junk city and he had stayed in valley.
          Now it is new years and she is no longer certain she wants him. He wants her. He loves her still.
          “So what did you do for new years?” he asks, he has her next to him and his heart aches for him to kiss her. “You were in Denver right?”
          “Yeah, I was…” she speaks hesitantly, as if trying to choose words carefully. “I stayed up all night on new years. Touching things they felt amazing!” Confused the boy replies:
          “What do you mean? You’ve felt things before what was so different about that night?”
          “Oh everything just felt really good! Like the piano that my friend played while I laid my back on it. The vibrations were amazing!” at the boys questioning look she hurriedly responds “oh not in a sexual way I promise. I couldn’t possibly think about sex.”
          “Wow, so what else did you do?” he says deciding he didn’t need to know what she meant.
          “I sat for two hours while my friend rubbed ice on my back. It was amazing!”
          The boy suddenly realizes a startling thing; something that they both had promised over the summer that they resolutely would never do. “So, did your back hurt in the morning?”
          “Yeah, a little... I was really thirsty and tired. I actually went to a furniture store and slept for like three hours the next day. How’d you know?” she looks worried.
          The boy rises and starts to sing
How f*****g roman-tic.
All the stars are out!
As he starts the second part of the verse he picks her up off the bed. His heart no longer aches to kiss her.
Twinkling, twinkling, twink-ling.
 And fluttering about
He pulls her towards the door. In his head though he sings he thinks about the thing they had promised. They had never done any drugs and promised that they were a bad idea. He still hadn’t, but….
What a tacky sun-set,
What a vulgar moon
          “What are you doing? Where are we going?” she asks and he is slow to respond.
          “I… tell me something: do you remember when we promised never to do drugs... because they were just a bad, horrible waist of life?”
          “Yes…” she answers there is a worried look on her face. “Why do you ask?”
          “You did ecstasy in Denver didn’t you?!” he questions ominously.
          “…Yes,” she begins to cry, “How’d you know?”
          “I’m not an idiot!” he snaps out before he can chain his temper down. “I’m sorry for yelling,” while the boy talks she starts crying, “Are you going to do it again?”
There's a seconds pause before she answers: “Not any time soon”
“I think it’s time for you to go.” He says struggling against the well of heat in his heart. She opens the door and walks out side. As he starts to close the door she cries out: “No, please don-” he cuts her short, by putting a hand in the air gesturing stop. There is a pause and then she asks “Can I least kiss you?”
          It’s a long time before he replies.
          “Sorry… I don’t kiss strangers.” And shuts the door in her face.
 
How f*****g romant-ic,
Must we really waltz?
Drag another cli-ché
Howling from the vault.
 
 
 

© 2009 Zachary Reaves


Author's Note

Zachary Reaves
This story is a work of fiction based loosely on what really happened. This is how it really should have happened� but I was the one begging and she� well there was no shutting the door in her face. She did do what we had promised not ourselves we would never do though.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the overall way this is done, it's clearly three separate shorts written in subtly different styles, but at the same time it's very clear that they all belong together. In the first section; I especially liked the opening paragraph. It flows a lot like poetry and does a good job setting the mood of the piece, and personally I found the imagery beautiful, excellent word choice. However I think that you might have tried to carry that poetic feel to into the story itself and it hurts your characters. I feel that they seem almost robotic and unnatural.
The second section is mostly exposition, normally i would say to add more dialogue, but I think in this situation it works out wonderfully. I like how this section seems to be from the dog's perspective. I think for the middle piece in a group like this it shows what their relationship may have looked like from the outside. I would be careful though, it seems that at the end of the piece you switch back to the boy's perspective. If I were you I would have that section told exclusively from the dog's perspective.
The third section addressed many of the issues from the first. The dialogue seems very natural, and you really connect with the characters. If I were to suggest one thing it would be that since the story is broken up the way it is, it might be nice to see a section told from the girls perspective. Personally I would pick the third, I think you could really get into her feelings which may include, anxiety, fear, remorse, and loss. Overall I think this is a great work, and I'd love to you see you do more like this.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 23, 2009
Last Updated on June 24, 2009

Author

Zachary Reaves
Zachary Reaves

Alamosa, CO



About
I'm Zac, my hobby is writting, in no way is it my career. I live in the middle of abyssal valley called San Luis. I'm a Leo. more..

Writing
Black Black

A Story by Zachary Reaves