A Personal Attack (Falling Skies fanfic)

A Personal Attack (Falling Skies fanfic)

A Screenplay by evievievie
"

A small band of aliens with a personal grudge against Tom have camped out in the woods near Charleston.

"

Falling Skies

Episode ??.5

“A Personal Attack”

A small band of aliens with a personal grudge against Tom have camped out in the woods near Charleston.

EXT. ENEMY CAMP-NIGHT

Two men and a woman, bedraggled and dirty, are shoved through the darkness of trees by skitters. In a fire-lit clearing, they are thrown to their knees in the mud.

Harnessed twin boys step out of the darkness. The bonfire lights their malevolent little faces from below.

The twin on the LEFT points to the woman. She’s in her 20s and has long dark hair.

LEFT

You. Come forward.

RIGHT

I want to see your face.

Glaring around in defiance, yet appalled at the sight of these children, the woman complies.

There’s a RUSTLING sound as a fishhead alien (SAA) lurches out of one of the tents. It remains crouched on spidery legs in order to keep eye level with the humans.

Its fishy eyes have a softness and are topped with lovely scaly ridges. They come within inches of the woman; her bravery falters, and she SCREAMS.

The fishhead blinks heavy lids, revealing a touch of metallic purple paint; it steps back.

RIGHT

Too bad.

LEFT and RIGHT

It’s not her.

The two men try to comfort the sobbing woman, and none of them notice the mech stepping out of the trees.

The mech heats up it’s gun, and BLASTS at the three humans.

INT. TOM’S ROOM-NIGHT

Tom awakens in darkness, more chilled than alarmed. He looks over at Anne sleeping beside him; he’s so glad to see her. He brushes the long, dark hair from her face.

In sleep, her hand reaches for his arm and rests there.

Tom tries to close his eyes again.

INT. CAFETERIA-DAY

Weaver sits at a bench eating some kind of soup with some of the other 2nd Mass.

Tom Mason shows up with his plate of food and sits nearby.

TOM

Morning Captain.

WEAVER

Tom.

TOM

Even with Anne and my boys close by… it’s hard to stay asleep at night. I worry.

WEAVER

I hear you.

Weaver sets his fork down.

WEAVER

I do sleep easier, knowing my daughter is here with us. Maybe Anne has a point. About the civilians.

                TOM

You’re saying you were wrong? That would go a long way if you said it to her directly.

                WEAVER

Shut up, that’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying maybe civilians have their use.

                TOM

Civilians related to you have a use? The rest are useless?

                WEAVER

Damnit, don’t twist my words around. I’m trying to say something nice about the civvies!

At this moment a CIVILIAN hurries forward and touches Weaver’s arm to get his attention.

CIVILIAN

Weaver, Sir! I’m really sorry sir, I just had to come tell you… three people snuck out last night.

WEAVER

What?

CIVILIAN

We all hate putting up with the tyrants, you can’t blame them! They went out to scavenge.

WEAVER

That ain’t the orders! Who are they? Are they fighting men?

CIVILIAN

They’re civilians, sir! And they never came back.

Weaver’s civilian-loving mood clouds over with fury.

WEAVER

Damnit!

INT. WAR ROOM-DAY

Weaver and Mason stand before Bressler, who is staring boredly at his folded hands.

WEAVER

They said only 3 people went out. Should be a snap to find out where they got to, bring ‘em back.

BRESSLER

You want me to risk our fighting men, possibly get them killed or get our city exposed, for three wandering fools?

TOM

Those “wandering fools” are part of our community. I would not expect you to risk fighting men for anything less.

BRESSLER

How clever of you, Tom, to appeal to my sense of community. Those three wouldn’t have been part of the military community, would they?

Mason and Weaver exchange looks.

BRESSLER

I thought not. They’re not worth it. You have to admit, they’re probably not alive.

WEAVER

I know you’re not saying “no” to us, after what the 2nd Mass has done for Charleston!

Bressler just sits there like an a*****e.

MASON

Alright, let’s get out of here.

BRESSLER

Now, wait a minute. I know you want to go find your friends. I won’t say no entirely. Take Elroy, here, and one more of your own.

WEAVER

You’re willing to risk one Charleston man.

BRESSLER

Don’t insult me, Captain. Elroy is our best tracker. He may be all you need.

ELROY, the man guarding the door, apparently, is a thin, shaggy, and now very startled man.

ELROY

Oh. Of course, it would be a pleasure to help, Captain Weaver!

BRESSLER

And unless there’s something else, you’re dismissed.

WEAVER
THANK you. Bressler.

Supremely annoyed, Weaver and Mason walk out. Weaver ignores Elroy, but Mason glances at him curiously.

INT. OUTSIDE BRESSLER’S OFFICE-DAY

As Mason walks out of the office, only mildly appeased, Anne ambushes him.

MASON

Anne!

ANNE

I heard what happened. Did you get permission to launch a search party?

MASON

Yeah. We can only take a few people, but yeah.

ANNE

If those people are hurt out there, you’re going to need a doctor.

Tom is appalled.

MASON

Anne, I…

ANNE

You know you can’t stop me. I’m needed, Tom.

He grabs her by the arms and pulls her close.

MASON

Anne! The person growing inside you is far more important than the people out there. Stay! I’m begging.

Unmoved by his roughness, she raises her eyebrows. He lets go.

ANNE

Okay. See if Lourdes will go with you, then.

Tom breathes a sigh of relief and hugs her.

TOM

Unfortunately, we can’t take Lourdes, either. Weaver says we’re only taking scouts. It’s gonna be quiet, and quick.

EXT. SOMEWHERE IN THE WOODS-DAY

The fishhead alien sits alone in a dark tent and closes her eyes. As her mind touches those of her many harnessed children, they silently report back what they see:

A little girl with onyx eyes looks out over an empty grass field while crouched, panther-like, in a tree.

A teenager with wispy yellow hair kneels in the tall grass of a bog. A crocodile lies next to her.

A ginger-haired boy lies beside a stream. His posture is more like a robot that has been tipped on its side, than a child lying in wait. He stares at a wooden footbridge, currently empty.

And the twins stand guard outside the tent. They briefly look at each other, without any particular care in their eyes, then look away.

The alien opens her eyes.

EXT. SCHOOLYARD-DAY

A group of children all look off in the same direction. One little boy points.

LITTLE BOY

Look! Matty’s going to freak out again!

Matt stands in front of a taller, fairer boy (LUKE.) Luke has shaped his hands into guns and is taking fake shots.

LUKE

You think you’re smarter than everybody, huh?

Matt is distracted by the hand guns.

MATT

No, I don’t!

LUKE

You shouldn’t make me look stupid in class then.

Luke is no skitter. Matt looks up and down, assessing this threat.

MATT

When the teacher called on you, you had the wrong answer. When she called on me, I had the right one. Should I have given a wrong answer, to make you appear smarter?

The older boy is taken aback by Matt’s courage. And embarassed that Matt has said the quiet part out loud.

MATT

Just leave me alone. It’s not hard.

Luke puts his fake hand gun against Matt’s head and shouts, BAM!

Matt tackles Luke to the ground and starts punching him in the face.

Across the yard, an adult notices something is happening, and starts to run over.

INT. DETENTION-DAY

Tom thanks the guard who is admitting him through a chain-link gate. Across from where he stands is Matt on a concrete bench, miserable, not meeting his eyes.

Tom sits cautiously next to his son.

TOM

Matt. You okay, buddy?

Sullen and listless, Matt shakes his head no.

TOM

Look. You don’t have to go back to school. They’ll let you out of here at the end of the day, and from now on you can just study at home.

MATT

Thank you.

TOM

Is there something else? Besides this?

MATT

I’m a fighter, Dad. You can take me with you when you go outside.

TOM

No, son. I can’t.

MATT

This is stupid. I can’t do anything.

Torn with guilt at Matt’s sad face, Tom somehow gets up to leave.

He pauses at the gate and turns to the guard.

TOM

Locking a little boy up for getting in a fight at school? I hardly say I agree with this. I’ll be back by nightfall, and if there’s so much as a scratch on him…

To his surprise, the guard salutes him.

GUARD

I’m in awe of the bravery of the 2nd Mass, sir. No harm will come to your son today.

TOM

Oh. Thank you.

EXT. RUINS OF CHARLESTON-DAY

Four motorcycles ROAR through the abandoned city streets.

As they turn around a bend, they all slow down. A flattened office building marks the end of the city, and the beginning of a wilderness that grows wilder each day.

The first man removes his helmet; it’s Weaver. He surveys the landscape with a tactical eye.

The other three helmets come off: Mason, Maggie and Elroy.

WEAVER

This is where our three civvies stepped off the grid.

MASON

They wouldn’t have gone far, would they?

MAGGIE

They must have been foraging. Looking for berries or something.

The four watch the trees and grass, looking for the answer.

ELROY

There would be morels, between the tree line and the field. Certain herbs grow deeper in the trees.

WEAVER

If I was them, I’d have stayed in cover of the trees.

MAGGIE

Well, the grass is tall enough to hide somebody crouching.

WEAVER

Alright! We don’t know which way they went. We will split up. Elroy and I in the trees, Maggie and Tom out in the grass. Quick and quiet, use your eyes. Use your ears.

They lay the bikes down in what used to be the office building, and cover them with old, charred cubicle walls.

Gun ready, Tom steps out into the yellow grass.

EXT. THE TREES-DAY

The trees grow thick here. Weaver navigates the soggy ground warily.

He looks to his left; twenty yards away, Elroy is doing the same thing. His mottled brown outfit helps him blend in.

EXT. LAKE IN THE WOODS-DAY

They find a big pond.

WEAVER

That water don’t look clean.

ELROY

It’s a good place to find edibles. But the ground is mush; I can’t tell if there’s any tracks.

He cups his hands and drinks the water. Weaver cringes.

ELROY

It is dirty water, but it’s a good dirty. Full of life!

Weaver takes a sip from his canteen to wash out the imagined taste.

EXT. DEEPER IN THE TREES-DAY

It has begun to gently rain. Weaver surveys the muddy ground; no tracks.

He climbs up on a massive fallen tree, and walks along its length, not seeing anything.

WEAVER

(to himself)

Naw, they wouldn’t have come this-

ELROY

What is THAT?

Weaver slides off the tree and jogs to Elroy.

Together they stand before a crater three stories deep. The cause of the crater, all darkness and glinting metal, is barely visible in the trees beyond.

The two men look down.

The dirt of the crater is marked with skitter tracks.

Alarmed, they both drop into a crouch and get behind tree trunks.

Weaver looks at Elroy, wide-eyed and listening hard. Faint skitter VOICES can be heard.

EXT. THE GRASS-DAY

Crouching as best they can, Maggie and Mason cover the grass field about a yard apart from one another.

MAGGIE

Look! There’s another one.

It’s raining gently, but they can see clearly the boot-print in the ground.

They continue walking, eyes on the ground.

They approach an area with less grass.

TOM

Whoa.

There on the ground, skitter tracks.

MAGGIE

Damnit, skitters!

MASON

And at least one mech.

The look into the trees of this area.

MAGGIE

Tom, they’re probably dead.

MASON

I agree.

MAGGIE

So, why are you hesitating? You want a closer look?

Mason nods, but isn’t happy about it.

MASON

Yeah. Let’s take a peek.

Hunched and alert, they move forward.

EXT. ABANDONED SKITTER CAMP-DAY

After taking a brave peek from behind a rock, Mason stands up and approaches the center of an abandoned skitter camp, gun ready.

Maggie watches him from under cover, her gun also ready.

Mason’s boots squish over criss-crossing skitter and mech tracks.

He sees something out in the trees, and lowers his gun.

MASON

They’re here. All three of them.

Staying hidden, Maggie winces and shakes her head.

Mason comes back out of the trees, and sees something else. He brings his gun back up.

He FIRES, spraying a brief blast of bullets.

Maggie looks anxiously around for the target. Seeing no movement, she sprints from her hiding spot and reaches Tom’s side.

They’re looking at a shabby burlap tent, now riddled with holes.

Maggie strides forward, and whisks aside the burlap.

Nothing. It’s empty.

EXT. THE CRATER-DAY

Elroy whispers to Weaver.

ELROY

What was that?

WEAVER

Gun shots. Tom and Mag.

Someone else heard the shots, too. A skitter hangs down from the trees like a spider, looking in that direction.

Weaver holds perfectly still, but Elroy trembles.

The skitter takes a leisurely stroll down the side of the tree with the swagger of an unchallenged cockroach.

ELROY

Oh. S**t.

WEAVER

Shut. Up.

The skitter starts walking in the direction of the gunshot. Then, for no reason, it starts coming toward Weaver and Elroy’s hiding spot.

Elroy shakes uncontrollably, PANTING.

The skitter returns to the direction of the gunshot; it was just walking around a mud puddle.

It’s back is to Weaver and Elroy, now.

Elroy raises his gun; Weaver puts a hand on it, and glares at him.

With a rustle of leaves, the skitter is out of sight.

Weaver whispers angrily:

WEAVER

What was that! You would have given away our position!

ELROY

I’m sorry. You’re right. I’m sorry.

WEAVER

I’m gonna die out here. I’m gonna die out here, and you will be the cause of death. Look at you, are you trembling?

Elroy starts crying.

ELROY

I’m sorry, Sir, I just keep failing. And failing. You know what Bressler said to me, after you left? He said he sent me with you because I wasn’t fit to guard the door!

Weaver grits his teeth and looks away.

EXT. THE GRASS-DAY

Mason watches the trees from behind a trunk. Maggie goes over the tracks in the mud.

MASON

                How many were here, you think?

MAGGIE

Six or seven skitters, one mech.

MASON

Only one? Are you sure?

MAGGIE

I’m sure. And do you see these smaller tracks?

MASON

Harnessed kids.

MAGGIE

I can tell there’s only one mech because the tracks no longer criss-crossed when they left.

MASON

How did I miss that? You’re good! Which way did they go?

MAGGIE

That way.

She points out into the trees.

MASON

We know where they are… this is good. Let’s go report back.

Together, they head back.

EXT. THE CRATER-DAY

Weaver peers through his binoculars.

Through them, he sees the harnessed onyx-eyed girl hop down from a tree. Two skitters take position, guarding her.

Elroy is listening to the forest, eyes closed.

WEAVER

I count five skitters, including the one you almost shot. I only see one mech. One child.

ELROY

There are two more skitters. To the west of us. They may have spotted us already.

Elroy opens his eyes again, and turns them in the direction of a small clearing. Two skitters walk into it; they haven’t spotted the two men yet.

The red-haired boy walks out behind the skitters.

WEAVER

Ok. Here’s the plan. We follow those three until we’re a bit farther from the bunch at the crater. Then we take out the skitters. Then we grab the child. Then we run like hell.

ELROY

Ok. Got it. That’s a great plan! I can do that. I can.

The red-haired boy and his two skitters spread out, but they’re walking away. Weaver and Elroy creep after them.

The skitters move forward and a bit out of sight.

Weaver and Elroy respond by creeping forward a few paces and crouching behind foliage.

Elroy’s wide eyes meet Weaver’s; Weaver winks.

The boy stops, and c***s his head sideways at something he sees on the ground.

ELROY

Oh s**t. He sees our tracks.

The boy kneels down for a closer look.

Elroy runs out of the bushes.

ELROY

I’m sorry! I’m here! Don’t shoot!

The skitters turn their guns toward him.

WEAVER

Holy-!

The skitters move forward to apprehend Elroy, who stands there with his arms in the air.

As the skitters drive Elroy toward Weaver’s position, Weaver pops out of the bushes and SHOOTS the first skitter directly in the face.

Elroy runs.

Weaver shoots at the second skitter, wounding the gun arm and a leg; it drops its gun, HOWLING.

Elroy stops mid-stride, grabs the red-head, and continues to run.

Weaver is now in a wrestling match with something that has more limbs than he does. He seems to be winning, landing most of his blows.

Another skitter appears behind Weaver, and raises it’s rifle butt-first over Weaver’s head.

As Weaver grips the green arms that are reaching for his neck, the rifle-butt swings down toward it’s mark, making a CRACK. Lights out.

INT. MEDICAL ROOM-DAY

The curious VOICES in the crowded room all sound muted and alien. Frowning faces gape at him and babble words. Oppressive ceiling lights blaze.

Anne’s face drops in to view, an anchor in the insanity. She tries a sympathetic smile.

ANNE

Hi there, young man.

She pulls on plastic gloves.

ANNE

Everything’s going to be okay. Let’s get that harness off of you.

The red-headed boy jerks his eyes from one side of the room to another, his movements robotic. He looks more sharply at Anne.

RED-HEADED BOY

It’s you.

His grimy hand reaches out and grabs Anne’s wrist, determined not to let go.

ANNE

Alright, take it easy. Take it easy.

RED-HEADED BOY

I’ve done it, Saa.

He lets go, and falls back on the table, suddenly drowsy.

Anne checks her hand and wrist nervously.

ANNE

I’m ok. He must be delirious from all he’s been through.

She pulls a mask over her nose and mouth, getting ready to do the procedure. The villainous silverfish SLIPS in through her eyelid, escaping notice.

INT. HAL’S ROOM-DAY

The door opens, and Lourdes walks in, frowning with concern.

Hal has still not woken up. He lies motionless on the hospital bed.

Lourdes checks his forehead and his pulse. Then she pauses and peers at his face, as if willing him to wake up.

LOURDES

Why are there so many people who can’t be saved?

She sighs.

BEN

Hey, Lourdes.

Lourdes SHOUTS. Ben stands up on the other side of the bed.

LOURDES

Oh! Ben, I thought I was alone.

BEN

Are you scared of me?

LOURDES

What! Oh, no, Ben. Of course not.

He shuts his eyes, trying to believe it.

LOURDES

It’s just that you kind of rose up out of the darkness.

Ben laughs at this, and she does, too.

BEN

I’m sorry.

LOURDES

No, it’s my fault, I’m on edge.

BEN

I’m creepy. It’s ok.

LOURDES

Ben. You are not, nor have you ever been, creepy.

BEN

What about when I had the harness on?

LOURDES

Well, that wasn’t you! Was it?

He becomes a bit sullen as he puzzles that over.

LOURDES

Someone else, some alien, decided you should wear that harness. But now you choose for yourself. Ben, start trusting yourself.

He allows half a smile.

BEN

Do you want to come pick up some rations with me?

LOURDES

Sorry, I have to get back and help Anne.

BEN

Oh. Ok, that’s cool.

LOURDES

Well, see you.

She walks out. He looks down at his motionless brother and purses his lips.

 

INT. MEDICAL ROOM-DAY

Tom Mason pushes through people milling about the medical area, until he bumps into Anne.

TOM

Anne.

He throws his arms around her, surprising her.

TOM

Is it true, Elroy and Weaver brought back a harnessed child?

ANNE

Well, it’s partly true; there he is.

The redhead sleeps on a nearby bed.

Anne pulls Tom close and speaks into his ear.

ANNE

Weaver didn’t come back.

TOM

Oh, no.

Tom looks sharply over at where Elroy sits on one of the beds; Elroy turns away, ashamed.

ANNE

Send another search and rescue, Tom. Bring me with you. We have to get him back.

TOM

Anne, no! You are NOT COMING!

Some people stop and stare.

Just as Anne’s mood starts to turn dark, Bressler walks in. A HUSH falls over the room.

Bressler stalks over to the bed holding the red-haired boy. He looks him over with deep suspicion, and even bends forward as if to smell him.

BRESSLER

Wake him up.

ANNE

Sir, he’s just had the operation. It might kill him!

BRESSLER

Woman, you follow the chain of command or I will kick you out of Charleston.

Anne looks down at the sleeping youth, shaking her head defiantly.

The flesh of his back is still raw, the sawed-off spikes looking painful. In a pan nearby is the rigid, bloody heap of a dead harness.

Tom, still angry over Weaver, tries to offer Anne words of calm through gritted teeth.

TOM

Anne, honey. Do you think there’s any way you could bring him around for a minute or two, just long enough to answer a few questions?

He looks at the Bressler and raises his voice as he adds:

TOM

Just a few questions, and then the kid can get back to recovering.

Bressler burns holes with his eyes. He’s not in a compromising mood.

Boiling over with silent anger, Anne slaps a button on the machine that had been feeding the child his medicine.

The hush grows quieter as everyone in the room waits for the boy to wake up.

Veins pulse in Bressler’s forehead.

Wincing in pain, the boy with red hair starts to stir.

INT. DETENTION-DAY

BAM BAM, Ben’s fist rattles the chain-link gate where Matt is being held. Matt jumps.

MATT

Ben!

He runs up to the gate, and the brothers touch fingers.

BEN

Hey, little buddy, how long till they let you go?

GUARD

We let him out at six o’clock.

MATT

The guard’s name is Cliff. He’s nice.

Ben nods at the guard.

BEN

What have you been doing all day?

MATT

Eh. Sitting.

Ben pulls a book out of his coat; Matt’s diary.

BEN

Matt, I know you want to be helpful, and I know you want to fight. So you need to be ready to help at all times, and ready to fight. No more sitting, okay? A time-out is a blessing in disguise.

He passes the diary to Matt through the gate.

Matt opens it to the bookmarked page. Ben has written a list: Push ups. Jumping jacks. Essay: On Freedom.

MATT

Push ups? Jumping jacks? You’re making me write an essay?

BEN

Yes. You know how to write one, right? You write an introduction paragraph, three supporting paragraphs, and then the conclusion.

Matt pouts.

BEN

They’re more like suggestions. Things are never so hopeless that you should just sit, ok?

Matt stands and salutes Ben.

MATT

I’ll do it.

He drops and starts doing push ups.

BEN

Thatta boy, Matty!

MATT

Will you come and get me at six o’clock?

BEN

You bet! Keep working those muscles, soldier.

INT. HALLWAY-DAY

Ben faces forward as he walks down the hallway away from the detention center. A man and woman in passing slow down, and the woman cranes her neck to get a glimpse of Ben’s spikes. Then the couple continues on their way.

He sees Lourdes outside the med center. She turns and notices him, too, and hurries over.

She whispers something in his ear, and they both take off together around a corner. The sign on that hallway reads MED HALL.

INT. MED HALL-DAY

The med hall is crowded. Lourdes takes Ben’s hand and pulls him through the crowd.

They get near enough to see the de-harnessed child.

The boy’s eyes are open, but bloodshot.

Bressler hovers over him.

BRESSLER

What is your name, boy?

REDHEAD

Oscar.

His voice is monotone. Oscar looks weakly at the mass of faces over his bed.

BRESSLER

Which side do you serve, Oscar?

Oscar seems to snap to attention.

OSCAR

I serve Saa.

BRESSLER

Saa? What is that?

OSCAR

I serve Saa. The lady in the woods.

A machine next to Oscar BEEPS an alarm, and Oscar’s eyes roll up; he passes out.

BRESSLER

Stabilize him! Wake him up again.

With clenched jaw, Anne turns the alarm off on the machine.

Oscar’s breathing relaxes, and his eyes open again.

This time, Mason steps up to Bressler.

TOM

With your permission, sir, I can get him to talk. Please let me try.

Bressler glares at Tom, but waves his hand, granting permission.

Tom takes Oscar’s hand.

TOM

Hey, Oscar. How are you feeling?

OSCAR

Bad. I feel tired.

TOM

Okay. We’re going to let you rest in just a minute. Can you tell us what you were doing in the woods today?

OSCAR

Um… it’s hard to remember.

TOM

Can you tell me who Saa is?

OSCAR

Saa is us.

TOM

We need your help, Oscar. Saa kidnapped our friend.

Oscar looks at Anne, genuine puzzlement on his face.

OSCAR

No, she didn’t. You kidnapped me.

BRESSLER

Get some information out of him, Tom!

Tom puts his hand on top of Oscar’s hand.

TOM

Help us, Oscar. How many are out there? What do they want?

OSCAR

Saa is in pain. She’s very angry. She knows your face, Tom.

TOM

What?

OSCAR

Saa feels so much hate. I don’t think I like her plan.

TOM

Why?

Oscar’s face goes pale; his eyelids flicker.

TOM

Stay with me, Oscar. Can you give me a clue? How do we stop her?

Weakening, Oscar looks to Tom with pleading eyes.

OSCAR

I would take out the twins.

Oscar closes his eyes, and goes pale and listless.

ANNE

Enough.

She blocks Tom and Bressler as she tends to Oscar.

Tom reaches out to touch Anne’s shoulder, but thinks better of it.

BRESSLER

Mason, commanders. My office, 5 minutes.

He turns on his heel, and underlings snap into place behind him.

As he walks past Ben, Bressler slows and grins down at him, with gleeful murder in his eye.

A startled Ben stares after him, hackles raised.

INT. LADIES’ ROOM-DAY

Anne enters the ladies room and turns on the faucet. She splashes water on her face, then turns the water off.

Another woman finishes washing her hands and exits; as the door starts to swing shut, Anne GROANS in pain, doubling over.

A drop of blood DRIPS onto the floor.

Anne straightens back up. The disturbed face looking back at her in the mirror has a trickle of blood on her nose.

As she looks in the mirror, she changes. Her eyes widen, her breath quickens.

As she lets a quaking breath out, her fear dissolves.

She gives a soft, contemptuous CHUCKLE.

INT. BRESSLER’S OFFICE-DAY

In the quiet tension of the room, the various commanders look at each other, all stunned at the ominous revelations of Oscar.

Bressler condescends to rise from his desk.

BRESSLER

Twenty-four hours. We will take time to prepare and assemble, then we will sweep the surrounding woods, and clear it of whatever we find.

TOM

All due respect, commander, but we can do that sweep right now.

All eyes are on Tom. Bressler rolls his eyes.

TOM

Listen. Maggie counted the footprints of 7 skitters, 1 mech. It’s like a small scouting team, or something. This is an easy win.

BRESSLER

Noted. Like I said, we leave in 24 hours.

Tom’s hopes sink.

TOM

What if Weaver doesn’t have 24 hours?

BRESSLER

I guess you better hope he does.

TOM

Weaver is military! I’m appealing to your sense of military community, now, this isn’t about lost civilians anymore-

BRESSLER

Get out.

TOM

What?

BRESSLER

I don’t give a crap about you or your captain. Get out of my office.

INT. HALLWAY-DAY

The door to the bathroom swings open, and Anne steps out. She still has blood on her lip.

She passes people in the hallway, all of them smiling and friendly toward her.

INT. MED HALL-DAY

Anne reaches the bedside of a YOUNG WOMAN who is ill. The woman coughs.

YOUNG WOMAN

Is there any aspirin, doctor?

Anne merely frowns with mock sympathy, and keeps walking.

Looking down at Oscar now, Anne pinches the end of a spike and wiggles it; Oscar growls in his sleep but does not awaken. Frowning, Anne keeps walking.

Lourdes watches her, eyes wide. That’s not Anne.

INT. OUTSIDE BRESSLER’S OFFICE-DAY

The door SLAMS open, and Tom is roughly thrown out.

TOM

You’re killing him! You want me to let my captain die! I challenge your decision! I challenge it!

Surly hands detain Tom from either side.

Bressler merely LAUGHS.

Then Tom goes silent as something catches his eye.

Anne has come into the vicinity. A man guarding one of the exit doors is busy watching Tom. Anne walks right past him and opens the exit door.

After casting a cold, challenging glare directly at Tom, she leaves.

TOM

No! ANNE! She’s leaving! Stop her! She �" she’s going outside!

Bressler steps into the hallway and looks at the closing door curiously.

BRESSLER

He can go.

The second they release him, Tom bowls over the door-guard and runs outside.

Having gotten a head start, Anne is a hundred yards away, and running.

Calling her name in anguish, Tom follows.

INT. DARK HALLWAY-DAY

Lourdes peeks inside a room, searching, then keeps walking. She comes into a dark, unused hallway, and finds Ben there with a book.

LOURDES

Ben!

BEN

Oh! You scared me, Lourdes.

She allows a smile in the midst of her panic.

LOURDES

We’re even, then. Hey… I think something is wrong with Anne.

BEN

Wrong how?

She shakes her head with worry.

INT. DETENTION-DAY

A metal gate CLATTERS open, and Ben and Lourdes come down the stairs.

Matt jumps up from his writing.

MATT

Is it six o’clock?

Ben addresses the guard.

BEN

Cliff! I need a big favour.

CLIFF

Sorry. I sympathize with you, but I cannot let him out until six.

BEN

I’ll put in a good word for you with my dad. You really want to be here guarding your own kind, when you could be out there, actually fighting?

Cliff lifts his chin, considering Ben. He opens the gate.

MATT

Ben!

He gives his big brother a big hug.

MATT

I thought you wanted me to train up and finish my essay?

BEN

Oh, yeah. How far did you get?

He picks up Matt’s book.

BEN

“Freedom is something we can give to each other or take away from each other. The aliens want to take all the freedom that we have; I won’t let them.” Wow, Matt. That’s a really good start!

LOURDES

Do you really think we should be bringing him…?

BEN

You heard the kid. He’s ready to fight for freedom.

And he hands Matt a pair of binoculars.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE CITY-DAY

Wind whips his hair as Ben walks out into the tall grass, Lourdes and Matt close behind him.

Ben closes his eyes. His spikes glow blue.

Two rebel skitters come creeping over.

BEN

What do you think, guys? We need to somehow rescue my dad, and Anne, and Weaver, too.

The two skitters click and trill at each other.

Ben turns to Lourdes and Matt.

BEN

They have a way of converting stray skitters to the cause. But even though the group of skitters out there is very small, they are under heavy control. Betty and Hector here would like us to kill whoever is exerting all that control, and spare the skitters, if we can.

LOURDES

That won’t be easy.

MATT

Can you tell me again why we’re out here instead of the military?

BEN

Because I don’t trust anyone but us. Only we can save Dad and Anne and Weaver… and the enslaved skitters, too.

Hector the skitter RUMBLES happily, and he and Betty slink away.

INT. THE CRATER-DAY

Weaver comes to, groggy and grumbling, to a skitter hand poking his face and chest.

WEAVER

Euh!

The skitter seems to chuckle. It moves away so that Weaver can see who has captured him.

Saa steps forth, creepily lovely.

Weaver looks at her, then takes in his surroundings.

WEAVER

Oh, Hell.

Skitters and harnessed children all stand about in the mud.

WEAVER

Is this… the crater?

Looking up, he sees a makeshift canopy of brown burlap that has been raised over this small area.

Saa merely looks at him with her deep, fishy eyes.

Looking down, he notices his feet are in half a foot of water. Brown, dirty water.

WEAVER

Not much for housekeeping, are ya?

Something SWISHES and SLOPS in the deep end of the water: harness larvae!

Disgusted, Weaver gags and looks away.

The twins are nearby, hands folded before them. They look alike except for the patterns of dirt on their skin. One bows his head a bit, the other holds his chin out. The more dominant one speaks. His brother merely mouths some of the words, not by choice, but as a puppet feeling the pull of his brother’s string.

LEFT

You know Tom; he knows you. I have seen it through my dead mate. I will kill you in front of him. Then I will kill the others. Tom must feel my pain.

As if she had said it herself, Saa turns away from Weaver and goes into a little tent.

EXT. LAKE IN THE WOODS-DAY

Under the surface of the murky water, tadpoles wriggle around. A boot SQUISHES into the mud nearby.

Near-tears and worried as hell, Tom Mason creeps around the water’s edge.

Evil Anne is fifty meters up ahead, staring straight back at Tom over her shoulder. She takes off again.

Tom picks up the pace as well.

EXT. DEEPER IN THE WOODS-DAY

Tom sees the huge fallen tree up ahead, and instinctively hides himself behind a tree.

Anne appears on the fallen tree, resting her elbows in it, her chin in her hands.

ANNE

Come out now, Tom!

TOM

Anne! If there is any part of you that remembers who you are… please come back with me!

In response, Anne disappears behind the fallen tree again.

ANNE

Tom, help me! HELP!

Tom dashes out into the clearing, and a skitter and the onyx-eyed girl step out behind him, pointing guns at his back.

Tom hears them and whips around.

TOM

What have you done to her?

Anne laughs cruelly.

ANNE

She’s right here. What a wise, compassionate woman. Better come keep her safe.

She walks farther into the woods, and Tom is marched after her.

EXT. THE CRATER-DAY

Dirty water SPLASHES as Weaver kicks his hobbled feet at a persistent larvae.

He looks up as Saa emerges from her tent.

RIGHT

Tom Mason comes!

On hearing that his death approaches, Weaver looks down at the water, and up at the canopy, and over at Saa, in a new light.

WEAVER

Wait a minute.

LEFT

Yes, worm bait?

WEAVER

You said Tom killed your mate? That fish-eyed thing was married? I know what’s going on…!

Saa begins an unhurried walk around the water, eyes on Weaver.

WEAVER

The cheap tent… hardly any troops… ditch water instead of an incubator…

Every harnessed child darkens with malice.

WEAVER

You’ve gone rogue. You’re out here all on your own, aren’t you? Did the other fishheads kick you out of the club? Too crazy? Too sentimental? Too female?

LEFT and RIGHT

Be silent!

WEAVER

You really loved that bug-eyed, slimy-skinned, mass-murdering sumbich, didn’t you. You’re a big softie.

Saa bounds forward and SLAPS Weaver, knocking him horizontal into the water.

Weaver sputters and yanks at his bindings. A larva swims near his face.

LEFT

What a horrible specimen you are. Vulgar. Smelly. Stupid.

Weaver watches Saa, not the twins, and doesn’t answer.

One of the skitters croaks out a warning, and Anne struts in under the canopy.

Mason comes in behind her, with much less enthusiasm.

Tom and Weaver’s eyes meet.

TOM

Weaver! You’re alive!

RIGHT

Not for long!

The twins stand beside Weaver and Left holds a knife to his throat.

Anne beams at Tom.

ANNE

This is the last time you will see your friends alive, Tom. Go ahead; try and save someone.

Needing no further encouragement, Tom sprints at Weaver, splashing through the nasty water.

He is four feet from Weaver, and the twins laugh at him.

Weaver, finally yanking one hand free of his binds, grabs at the knife. Tom grabs the back of the chair and drags Weaver away from the twins. He looks to Anne.

TOM

No!

Saa takes a gun from one of the skitters and raise it at Anne.

In the split second he has to assess the situation, Tom’s eyes fall on the left twin, and the right. The girl with onyx eyes, giggling; the girl with wispy hair, stroking the back of a crocadile.

A dark shape in the water.

Bending down, Tom grabs the larvae by the tail, and flings it into the face of the right twin, where it hits with a SMACK.

The boy shrieks.

The panicking larvae is scratching Right’s face. He stumbles; he falls.

The other twin’s eyes swim into focus; he comes to himself and looks down at his brother.

LEFT

Danny?

Saa looks sharply at the twin. Feeling her pull, his back arches; but he resists, reaching for the creature latched onto Danny’s face.

The two girls look at him curiously.

At this moment, Ben comes bursting onto the scene.

BEN

Betty, Hector! NOW!

Rebel skitters swarm over Saa and her forces, apprehending their weapons.

Ben runs up to Anne, who SLAPS him. After a shocked moment, he sees that she is still being influenced.

He backs away.

Tom strides forward. Saa, being held at gunpoint by Lourdes, is fuming, her narrow chest heaving.

TOM

It’s all over, Saa. We’ve got you way out-numbered. Surrender!

BEN

You need to kill her, dad.

Anne clucks her tongue at him.

ANNE

Tom has done enough killing. He murdered Saa’s mate. And I won’t stop until he regrets it!

TOM

I’m not going to kill Saa. There is no need, now. We will take her prisoner.

BEN

Please listen to me, Dad, it’s no use. She’s too dangerous!

Holding his bare hands out, Tom comes closer to Saa.

TOM

Is that true? Can you cooperate? Or do we really have to kill you?

Saa continues fuming.

TOM

I’m sorry that your mate is dead, Saa. But if your people have turned on you, if your people refused to help you… shoot. Maybe this is better?

She starts to lurch toward him, and is tackled by several skitters.

Tom is both relieved and rattled.

EXT. SAA’S JAIL CELL-SOMETIME LATER

Lourdes, Ben, Hector and Betty all stand before the cell.

LOURDES

Hector, Betty. How did the new skitters respond?

Ben’s spikes glow blue.

BEN

We couldn’t reach them at all, at first… when one of the twins went down, suddenly we could touch all of their minds.

Hector stops gesturing, and Betty puts her two cents in.

BEN

I think the twins, when together, amplified Saa’s control.

Saa paces back and forth like a circling koi fish.

BEN

Saa was selfish and cruel. The new skitters are glad to join us.

Lourdes smiles. Ben notices her smile, and remembers something.

                                BEN

                Do you wanna go get some rations, now?

                                LOURDES

                Sure!

They leave Saa to her thoughts.

© 2024 evievievie


Author's Note

evievievie
I dug out this fanfic, which I wrote after s2 ended and I had to wait for s3. If you've never seen the show, it's basically Tom Mason's family joining the 2nd Mass battalion and their fight against these "fishhead" aliens, who control armies of "skitters," and sometimes put bio-devices on humans to "harness" them. In this episode, they have joined forces with the city of Charleston, but it's become a tyranny situation. I hope that's enough for you to understand what's going on. I'm just posting this for fun, as I'm not ready to post anything from the original novel I'm working on. Hope you enjoy, and happy writing!

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on May 12, 2024
Last Updated on May 12, 2024
Tags: aliens, war, earth, falling skies

Author

evievievie
evievievie

Rocklin, CA



About
Hello! I'm Evie from California. I love reading and writing scifi and fantasy, preferably with a diverse cast and queer positive vibes. Stiilllll working on book #1. My dream is to connect with more w.. more..

Writing