Short

Short

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Short


evidently the sun took the day off
clouds burst
in a dark room
as love, a burned out bulb

sat waiting
for the next dawn
to clear out the tears

inside the filament
of his heart.


erin-cilberto
5/14/2024

© 2024 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Short is the poem. A burned out bulb by definition has a short in it's filament which is right at its heart. The metaphor is so nicely used in this poem of pain and loss. Although the external energy is there it can not be used. Hopefully the hope expressed in the next dawn will come and the bulb will be changed.

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Soren,
j.
apparently a green, energy saving bulb. they are known to not give out quite as much light as traditional incandescent bulbs. look at the bright side - he's saving energy at the price of love. great metaphor you screwed in.

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

ha ha, thanks, Pete...I appreciate the smile.
j.
You paint a vivid picture of love's absence through the metaphor of this bulb in a dark room, symbolizing longing and waiting. The imagery of clouds bursting and tears clearing with the next dawn evokes a sense of hope and renewal amid emotional darkness. May dawn always rise so powerfully.

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

I really appreciate your kind review, Owl on the Moon.
j.
"the sun took the day off"

This line could be used as the title of some post-apocalyptic book if you want to write one some day.




Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

If only I had the attention span to write any book...tried four times...my gnat attention span would.. read more
hmm ... couldn't get the shot eh!? ;) very emotive! so sad .. leaves me feeling helpless in a place that is ok to be broken .. brilliant poem says i ... still feeling it ..
E.

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind review, E.
j.
Wow! Your finely penned poem is a very emotive metaphoric gem, Jacob. So poetically expressed, I feel the poet's feelings and the weather are 'in tune' with each other. I like the layout of the poem very much. Love the imagery too! Not many poets use anthropomorphism, but you have executed a fantastic poem through its use. So enjoyed reading! Thank you for sharing, Jacob...

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

Thank you for your very kind review, Marie,
j.
Marie

5 Months Ago

Most welcome, Jacob...
I felt this as an emotional read. Very nicely presented.

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

Thank you, poetgurl,
j.
That sad, lovelorn bulb that couldn't do what was required of it. Too clogged with tears. It's so dark in the room and so lonely. I wonder if even dawn would bring light. This was so sad to read.

Posted 5 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Months Ago

thank you for your kind words, Divya....you are always supportive of me and my writing.
j.
Ayvid N

5 Months Ago

I'm blessed to be your friend. You're most welcome, dear Jacob.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2024
Last Updated on May 14, 2024

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


PEACE PEACE

A Poem by Coyote Poetry