The Final Punctuation

The Final Punctuation

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

The Final Punctuation

 

 

I am stuck on fall

like a leaf 

that refuses to depart

from its branch

 

turning in color

very slowly

not wanting its life to end

 

strong winds bare the trees

and leaves roll across the ground like tumbleweeds

 

vicious gusts

attack like some fast-moving disease

rails against the body

 

I am stuck on fall

a leaf aging

I long for wings

 

I do not want to become mulch

on the ground

then disappear into winter

 

and by spring

become completely forgotten

as green garrulously greets

 

the eye

and another poet

types his last word

his last period.

 

 

erin-cilberto

11/9/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Poems such as this will live on in perpetuity, and no author who could pen such thought provoking beauty could be easily forgotten or replaced by a flashy new pen. keep warm and pen on through the winter, and in spring, all our thoughts will once again be on rebirth. I'll be expecting an ode to the robins come march sir!

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

I really appreciate your kind words, Starbaby,
j.



Reviews

the one thing no one ever wants is to be forgotten when they are gone.

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

WE don't want to but we probably will be.
j.
As with all your work Jacob it is the intelligent beauty that strikes me first. Before I am led into channels of art.

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Ken,
j.
I am that leaf clinging on. Not ready to drop, though I see others free falling readily. Super glue me to that branch. I have work to do. I am not ready yet. I will know when I am. I do not want to disappear into winter. So relatable dear J.

Chris

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

Super glue...I like that.
thanks, Chris,
j.
I found many of the same themes here as appeared in your recent "Remains." Again, fall is the setting, but the fall of the leaves in this one is openly stated. Also again, the fear of death is plain for all to see. The leaf metaphor and the fear of becoming "mulch" clearly show the human resistance to death. Yes, we all would like wings to carry us way from this fate, which Marcus Aurelius described as a process of nature and therefore not to be feared.

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

"do not go gentle into that good night"
Thank you for your words, John,
j.
Excellent piece, Jacob. Makes me think the most dreadful word in our language is inevitable.

Winston

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

Thank you, Winston,
j.
Fascinating wording, an existence that lingers onto a specific season, like a spirit holding onto one life.
Being 'stuck on fall' is much different from being 'stuck in fall', as it was amongst the various subtle hints masterfully placed within the work for us to gain a certain perspective to view the work, that is as a figure who is close to being detached completely from the only world they've ever known.
Such longing, such a great piece. Thank you, author Jacob for sharing your work.

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

yes, being detached...thank you, Stu.
j.
Jacob,

Most profoundly thought provoking and poignant words written just above in reality check of that which is most certain to come to us all, one day down the road of not all that long from now ... I address somewhat similar philosophical thoughts within my Poem, Reflections Upon Resurrections, and within my (soon to be posted on WC), article, The Road To All Too Soon ... I, like you, have no wish to be the forgotten mulch of a past Winter given way to yet another Spring ... And that, without me present and accounted for ... But it is what it is ...

Marv

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

thank you for your words, Marve,
j.
Jacob,

Most profoundly thought provoking and poignant words written just above in reality check of that which is most certain to come to us all, one day down the road of not all that long from now ... I address somewhat similar philosophical thoughts within my Poem, Reflections Upon Resurrections, and within my (soon to be posted on WC), article, The Road To All Too Soon ... I, like you, have no wish to be the forgotten mulch of a past Winter given way to yet another Spring ... And that, without me present and accounted for ... But it is what it is ...

Marve

Posted 10 Months Ago


I enjoyed this write, love that last line. Right on spot with the writing.

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

Thank you, basic writer,
j.
The last period marked is the end, it's suffocation, it's emptiness. Good poem.

Posted 10 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

10 Months Ago

I like your reply...thank you, Arundass.
j.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 13, 2023
Last Updated on November 13, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..