A HUNDRED POEMS – LII

A HUNDRED POEMS – LII

A Poem by E.P. Robles
"

I interpret this poem as a profound exploration of the vastness and diversity of human thought, perception, and our relationship with the world around us.

"
MY thoughts  SO LARGE!

An undetermined  SIZE!

ONE below the trees

   as another above the skies!

   THE elements shaped that which perceived --

and the rest by humanity!
:: 04-13-2014 ::

© 2023 E.P. Robles


Author's Note

E.P. Robles
As the poet who wrote this here is my simple statement.

The capitalization in the poem adds emphasis and impact, emphasizing the grandeur and power of thoughts.

The first two lines, "MY thoughts SO LARGE! / An undetermined SIZE!" evoke the immensity of human thought, its boundless nature, its capability to contain multitudes, reminding us of the strength and vastness of the human mind. It highlights the fact that thoughts are not confined to any physical dimension and they can grow as large as one allows them to.

"ONE below the trees / as another above the skies!" These lines suggest that thoughts can exist both in the earthly realm (below the trees) and in the spiritual or heavenly realm (above the skies). It's a poetic depiction of how our thoughts are able to transcend from mundane to the sublime, from physical to metaphysical.

"THE elements shaped that which perceived -- / and the rest by humanity!" These lines reflect on the dual nature of perception: partly shaped by the elemental, objective reality we inhabit, and partly by our human, subjective interpretation of that reality. This aligns with the idea that our reality is constructed by our perceptions and thoughts, and not solely determined by the physical world around us.

Since I am a student of Carl Jung let me turn to the lens of Carl Jung, the Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology, this poem presents a rich field for exploration. Jung would probably be intrigued by the depiction of thoughts as 'large' and of 'undetermined size'. This could reflect the conscious and unconscious mind – the vast, unknowable depths of the human psyche which he explored in his theories.

The line "ONE below the trees / as another above the skies!" could be seen through Jung's concept of the collective unconscious and the personal unconscious. The thoughts 'below the trees' may symbolize the personal unconscious - our personal experiences, memories, and emotions. While the ones 'above the skies' could symbolize the collective unconscious - inherited, universal symbols, archetypes, and instincts that we share as a species.

Lastly, "THE elements shaped that which perceived -- / and the rest by humanity!" could be analyzed with Jung's concept of individuation, a process of psychological integration, where the individual self develops out of an undifferentiated unconscious. Here, the 'elements' shaping perception might refer to the primal, archetypal forces at work in the unconscious mind, while 'humanity' could be the conscious, individuated self, co-creating its perception of reality.

In summary, both this poet and Carl Jung finds depth and complexity in this poem's meditation on the nature and power of thoughts, as well as our relationship with reality as both perceiver and creator. I asked the dead Jung and he approves.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was trying to figure out what the capitals said alone before I got to the notes. I like notes. I wish more poets would explain their inspirations. One size does not fit all, though. You really pack a punch in a short poetic bunch!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
1 Review
Added on May 31, 2023
Last Updated on May 31, 2023
Tags: poetry, abstract, history, mind, love, heart, soul

Author

E.P. Robles
E.P. Robles

SAN ANTONIO, TX



About
I write a lot and I paint a lot. I think just enough that I believe I am a very crazy person at all times. I am very friendly to a fault and find life very very short. I write in bursts with each p.. more..

Writing